UCLA housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcshow2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard horror stories and I have heard that it is not that bad. (I have not been accepted obviously and only had one interview, I just want t be prepared.

Is there any way you can live close to campus (i.e. not have to drive) and live affordable (under 1000/ month for rent and utilities). Is it hard to get into the weyborn housing deal?

Any advice any of you ucla students (or anyone who knows) has, it would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

mcshow2 said:
I have heard horror stories and I have heard that it is not that bad. (I have not been accepted obviously and only had one interview, I just want t be prepared.

Is there any way you can live close to campus (i.e. not have to drive) and live affordable (under 1000/ month for rent and utilities). Is it hard to get into the weyborn housing deal?

Any advice any of you ucla students (or anyone who knows) has, it would be much appreciated.

i went to undergrad at ucla so i'll take a stab at this question, the only way that you're going to get something for under 1k/month close to campus is with a roomate most likely sharing a room. maybe you could find a place like a co-op, but you'll have to do some searching. generally most of the graduate students i knew (not dental students) lived further away cuz they could get parking. at least that was my experience (its damn expensive) :thumbdown:

mcshow2 said:

for your concern, i went to ucla for ugrad and have lived in LA for 20+ years, so i can tell you more about housing. superchris is correct, but recently there has been an explosion (in growth) of on-campus housing for students. and there is one dedicated to graduate/dental/medical students. it's called weyburn terrace and it's about 0.5 mile from the medical/dental school.

check the link below:
http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site...toid=5c13064a9a7d1010VgnVCM1000008f8443a4RCRD

it's cheaper @ $10,920/academic year, but i dunno if that includes summer. and rates are subject to change next year. if you're not into on-campus housing, there are apartments (new and old) around westwood (either just south of wilshire or east/west of main campus) that are expensive (> $1200/month per 1-bed apt), so there are many ugrad students who "commute" from adjacent areas that are little bit cheaper (ex. Palms) but require a parking permit and time to/for commute. just remember, commuting through westwood/i-405 through rush-hour = hell and you're not guaranteed parking).

edit: my bad, you already know about weyburn terrace. i dunno if it's easy/hard to get the place. you might want to give a call to the housing office.

also go to http://la.craigslist.org and check for apts around westwood to get a sense of how much rent will be.

Members don't see this ad :)
lifescool said:
for your concern, i went to ucla for ugrad and have lived in LA for 20+ years, so i can tell you more about housing. superchris is correct, but recently there has been an explosion (in growth) of on-campus housing for students. and there is one dedicated to graduate/dental/medical students. it's called weyburn terrace and it's about 0.5 mile from the medical/dental school.

also go to http://la.craigslist.org and check for apts around westwood to get a sense of how much rent will be.

Hey Thanks a lot for the info. I will look into things... wait.... first i need to get accepted! but seriously, thanks.

My 1st year I had a studio on Gayley & Le Conte for $850, including utilities. You can find studios in Westwood for under $1000.

Weyburn in ideal for you, except you may want to look at their plumbing problems. With the booming So Cal housing, you are really lucky to find something cheaper than a thousand and good enough to live in. As long as you apply early, you should get in. Dont worry too much about housing. Enjoy life first.

mcshow2 said:

I live at Weyburn myself, so as some 20 other dental students. It is the simplest way to go.

jk5177 said:
I live at Weyburn myself, so as some 20 other dental students. It is the simplest way to go.

How do you like it...? Is it hard to get into? Do you have a roomate? ...So many questions = )

I feel like the freshman in high school asking the juniors and senior how to get sally to go to homecoming with him lol.

mcshow2 said:
How do you like it...? Is it hard to get into? Do you have a roomate? ...So many questions = )

I feel like the freshman in high school asking the juniors and senior how to get sally to go to homecoming with him lol.

In the process of learning the ant. and post. triangles of the neck, I decided to take a break and answer this post, but if you find my response to be brief, please be patient and ask me again.

How do I like Weyburn? It's simple. It's a place for me to sleep. I don't have to worry about electrical, water, or phone bills. It's a place to stay and not worry about, so I can worry about school. Quite new, which you've already heard. Walls are paper thin. I never cease to wonder why... of all the money they spend on building this whole graduate student complex, they can't be generous and use some better materials for the walls/doors to sound proof the awesome complex. What do you think EC? Wouldn't you agree with me? Oh right, you don't live at Weyburn?

I love Weyburn because I don't need to worry about housing.

Entrance is by lottery, but I haven't heard anybody who wants it and not getting it, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Roommate. Yes, I have one, and like all roommate situations, we have to interact carefully so as not to step on each other's toes, or wake them up when they are sleep, cause you know it's really easy for them to express some passive-aggresive behavior, ie revenge anytime they wish. So, to prevent that, I practice apology and generosity - which I suggest to all.

If you ever feel like making a visit, after your acceptance of course, no need to do it beforehand, pm me; and if I have the leisure, it'll be a pleasure to show you around.