UCLA: Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayoon80

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where there are good cheap apartments close driving distance from ucla?? 2 bedroom preferable, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

what do you consider cheap?
wow you already found a roommate? :)

If you want to stay close to the campus, stay in Westwood (walking distance).
If you are looking for something cheap, I would search Culver City, Palms, and West LA. You can also look for apartments in Beverly Hills, Brentwood, and Santa Monica--these apartments should be cheaper than ones in Westwood.

Check out the daily bruin web site (classified section) for Aapartment Rentals:
<a href="http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu" target="_blank">www.dailybruin.ucla.edu</a>

Good luck!

Bruin2K

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Bruin2k~thanks for the info!! I will go look that site up right away. I was thinking of Culver City, Palms area, but I want to find a place in a nice decent area, and that area seems more "ghetto." hmmm i'm not sure though, ideally, I would want to live in Westwood, but it is sooo expensive! I think the Bev. Hills or Santa Monica area seems more promising ^_^ thanks for the info..if you know of any specific places that are nice and not to rowdy, let me know!

Hey Stargirl!
you are going to ucla right? ^_^ Yea actually, one of my friends from ucla is staying an extra year so, i'm staying with her for a year..I'm not sure if its gonna work that well though since she's taking a really light load next year, so she might distract me alot to go out and stuff, but we'll see how it goes! See you in the fall ^_^

I think you should try santa monica or brentwood if you want a nicer area...but rent's still going to be insane... (but still cheaper than westwood)...
I'll be at ucla if i get in! wish me luck :)

hey,

any girls know for sure that you're going to ucla this fall? if so, please email me about shared housing if you are interested. I'm going to be in la during the later part of may and would like to find a place then.

thanks-
ricegirl :)

Hey Ricegirl,
I'm going to visit ucla in may too, to look for housing..I'll let you know if I see any nice places with decent rent, and you do the same! I read on this board that Kristy Fong has some email list for people who need roomates. Well kit, see you in the fall!

Hullo
Regarding ucla housing, here is my 2 cents' worth of advice/suggestion.

If you are guaranteed parking as a dental student, which I think you are, you should consider living in city of Palms. It is about 3 miles south of ucla and takes only 15min to drive to ucla by regular streets, not taking the freeway.
Rent in Palms start from 1000ish for a decent 2 bedroom. A friend of mine is paying 1300 for a 3 br/2bt apt. in Palms. In Westwood, the apts are very crowded, small and right now they range about 2100 to 2500 for a 2br/2bt. My friends are undergrads who are actively seeking housing in Weswood for next year, and these apts are within walking distance but they are very very expensive due to supply and demand.
Brentwood and Santa Monica are a bit cheaper than Westwood, but they range around the same I have been told, the apts seem to be a bit bigger, and Santa Monica is heading towards the beach, which can be expensive. Many grad students live in Palms since they are guaranteed housing, and Palms is a safe area to live. Many undergrads opt not to live there because they can't get parking at ucla, and taking the bus every day can take up to 20-40 min each way, so it's a hassle, but as a grad or professional student, living in Palms is ideal. I have never heard any problems with crimes in Palms, even though it is not as ritzy as beverly hills and brentwood, etc.
Culver City is about 6 miles south of ucla, and also very cheap compared to westwood. A friend of mine lives there in a studio for $470! but that's a rare deal. Culver city is about 10 min freeway, 30ish for regular streets since sometimes there is a lot of traffic on the regular streets, anyhow, I hope that helps, ucla also has an off campus housing office, which has listings updated daily regarding people looking for roomates, rooms for rent, spaces to sublet, etc, i think the website is <a href="http://www.cho.ucla.edu/" target="_blank">http://www.cho.ucla.edu/</a>
and this website has lots of info, I hope this helps

in my previous post I meant to say that grad/professional students opt to live in Palms because they are guaranteed parking at ucla, so they can commute, not that they are guaranteed housing in Palms, sorry for the confusion

hey westside,

thanks for the info. i have applied for university housing at palms, but the avg wait period is over a year. They have over 1600 ppl on the wait list at any time. In addition, dental students are not guaranteed parking spaces although the medical students are (what an outrage!). I think parking is done by a lottery system based on number of yrs + how far you live away, but I am not sure.

Fyi, for y'all interested in UCLA dental school, there are budget cuts on the horizon...

<a href="http://www.dent.ucla.edu/hp2000/deans.html" target="_blank">http://www.dent.ucla.edu/hp2000/deans.html</a>

ricegirl

wat, no parking?? that really sucks.. do you know how we would go about signing up for parking at ucla? I really did not know that! Also, I have asked some people about the living situation in Palms, and although it is the cheapest place to live, the environment there isn't too great. Anyhow, I'm looking to find an apartment close to Westwood now.
Can anyone answer the question about UCLA parking? Thanks!

go to ucla.edu and search for parking...it'll be there.
you don't need a parking spot on campus if you live in westwood! (and u won't get one). You'll be in walking distance.

Palms is not far enough where you are likly to get a parking spot as well. Palms is not the best area but it is cheaper. You may want to try brentwood, santa monica...and south of wilshire (which is where I live and still w/in walking distance if needed to walk...but i take the shuttle which is free)

I need your opinions:

I'm deciding between finding roomates from UCLA DEnt's roomate list, versus just getting my own place (bachelor, studio). I definitely want my own room, and willing to pay a little more than what I'm used to. I'm wondering if its not a good idea to live by yourself as a first year dent student (as it would've been if this was done in your first year of undergrad). I guess, since everyone won't be living near eachother (like in dorms), I wouldn't want to be the class outcast-mute if I have my own place while everyone else may be living with other dents. Plus, I do see the advantages of living with another dent (someone study with, facing similar ordeals, etc). What do you think? What are all of you going to be doing next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
well IF i get into ucla, i am definately going to have at least my own room like you said...but I would definately try to get my own studio however sutdios run around 1100+ per month so...that conflicts w/ my wallet... I would look around a little and see if you can find a decent roommate and apt and if you can live w/ them if not find your own place. You want a good enviornment!

yea, i know what you guys mean. I wanted to find another roomie who was pre-dent so we would be on the same schedule and study together, etc., but since one of my friends from ucla undergrad needs a roomie this year, I decided to room with her. Hopefully things will work out!

I was going over the material I just recieved from UCLA about housing, and I was wondering if anyone is considering living in UCLA graduate housing? And does anyone know what the advantage is of living in these apts vs. finding our own place? I want to keep my housing cost to about 500/month, which i know is really low for west la housing. Anybody know if this price range is feasible, since I'm looking to split a 2 bedroom with a roomate?

ayoon,
hey! i'm going to be in la tomorrow looking for housing. i'm not sure how realistic $500 for a 2/1 or similar is, but I'll try to check it out for you. I'm going to be in la for a week so maybe you can come down and check out the housing situation with me. :)

also, when did you get all that info on housing and the dental kit? did you complete all that financial aid stuff yet?

ricegirl

if you have 4 people in a two bed room u can get it under 500...
but to have your own room for 500...if you can find that tell me where! (just incase a fat envelop decides to come today) :p

hey, actually I'm in the bay area right now, but I'm going to be in LA on the 31st..but yea lets keep each other informed about the housing situation! I did complete all the financial aid info, but I talked to Frank and he said, they hav hardly begun processing the incoming students finaid info, since the continuing students have priority on that. And I recieved a package with a checklist of 16 things we should be aware of or do before school starts, including taking a CPR course during the summer! and info about the labtop we need to buy, etc. You should be getting that in the mail really soon. Anyways, *sigh* I wish housing was cheaper! I'm going to look for apts online and check them out when I go down at the end of may.

the housing situation in LA isn't as grim as you guys make it. affordable housing can definitely be found. i would avoid looking at places in the immediate ucla area (westwood, bel air, brentwood and beverly hills) as prices are rather steep. instead, you guys may want to look at places in sherman oaks (san fernando valley). when i was living out there and working at ucla, i had a pretty nice furnished studio in sherman oaks for $600. granted that it has been 2 years, but i can't imagine prices have gone up dramatically. i also have friends sharing places in that area and their rent is $1350 for a three bedroom, and another for $900 for a two bedroom. traffic is horrendous during rush hours, but the drive on beverly glen is lovely. :wink:

if you want to avoid the valley, i know that a lot of graduate students (especially those without cars) live in santa monica. rent prices vary greatly in that area. also, you may want to try west hollywood. a good friend of mine lives there and is paying $550 a month for his studio for the past 5 years (the glory of rent-control). i think with a little luck and some persistence, you guys will manage to find something decent and affordable. good luck!

check this out....

from the DailyBruin
<a href="http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/db/articles.asp?ID=19815" target="_blank">http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/db/articles.asp?ID=19815</a>

I'm currently living in westwood w/a fellow 1st year dental classmate. We pay $1645 a month for a 2BD/1bath and that's considered to be on the cheap side for where we live.

Dental students don't have guaranteed parking at UCLA. When I was trying to figure out my housing situation, I remembered my 3rd year dental student interviewer who told me don't even bother applying for a parking permit cause I won't get one. That was so not true! Most people who applied for parking got it. The only people, it seems to me, that I know who didn't get it lived a walking distance to lot 32 (a parking structure near wilshire) where they can hitch a ride on the school shuttle. A fair number of people drive their car from Palms and yes, they did get permits. Some people live in Santa Monica and ride the blue bus for free. I would not recommend living too far away. Time is extremely valuable in dental school and you don't really want to waste too much time commuting every day in traffic.

The best is if you have enough money to live short walking distance to the dental school building. A number of my classmates live on Hilgard. (I envy them!!)

You should contact the ucla community housing office (they have a webpage). They have an on-line database for apartments and such. You need a student ID# and PIN# to log in, but contact the housing office and explain that you will be attending dental school starting this fall and they should give you some kind of temporary log in name & password (that's what they did for me last year).

If I had to do it all over again, I would've still chosen a roommate off of the roommate list Kristy makes and lived even closer to the dental building.

The majority of my classmates don't have dental roommates (some live alone, others commute from home, others live with their undergrad friends). But I recommend living with a classmate. If you don't live with a classmate, you won't be an outcast or anything. No worries there.

ayoon,
A friend of mine was a grad student last year and he lived in the univ. apt. in Palms on Rose avenue. He paid a bit less than 500, and he gets his own room and his own bathroom in a 2BR 2 BthR with a decent living room and kitchen and even a fireplace and a nice balcony.
The building is nice, the apt is clean, and the area is safe, and only 15 min max away from ucla taking the streets not the freeway.
So you should apply if you can, if you get it, the rate is much lower than the standard commercial rate, plus you get to live in a building with other grad/professional students, which means you can also socialize and interact if you have the chance and won't feel so isolated, even though most grad/professional student who lived in that building didn't really interact much because they are too busy with school, but those that have time and want to socialize, the opportunity is there,
anyhow, good luck

chocobo, thanks for all your advice! I would like to live with another 1st yr dental student, but for now the rooming situation has become me and 3 of my undergrad friends from ucla living in a 2 bedroom apt. in westwood. It sounds a little hectic to me to share a room, and also to share an apt. with 3 non dental students, but I'm not sure how to get out of it and also it will be much cheaper than having my own room. I'm planning to probably spend most of my time at school anyways, and probably end up studying in the library or with other dent students, so hopefully it won't hinder my studies. Any feedback?
Westside~thanks for the info about the univ. apts, but I decided that I want to live as close to campus as possible even if it means sharing a room. Thanks though! ^_^

I personally would not share a bedroom at this point in my life, but as long as you're somewhat disciplined (able to resist temptations) & your friends are going to be understanding of your busy school life, I think you'll be fine.

I like to go home and study in my room because it's more comfortable and I wouldn't have to eat dinner at school. My classmate often brings her dinners to school, eats there and goes home at night after studying at the library.

Hi chocobo,
You mentioned Hilgard as being right across the street from the dental school, do you know of any other streets which are very close to the school? Also, do you recommend any apts which are quiet or inhabited by mostly dental students?

Tiverton is also very close. Several of my classmates live on that street, but I don't really know the apartment names. Sorry, but I don't know any specific apartments to recommend. I looked mainly on-line & the ucla database when I was searching for apartments. Unfortunately, I still don't know this area very well.