UCLA Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayoon80

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ucla to interview on Jan 14, anybody else? Does anyone know what the format is like, and what kind of questions they ask? any feedback would really help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi ayoon,

the ucla interview was kind of similar to the ucsf one. you write an essay to a "question of the day" (everyone seemed to have the same question), interview with 2 faculty at the same time--mine was very research oriented :p , and then everyone regroups for the student interview (1 student for 2 applicants)...the student interview was very informal...everyone was in the same room..."interviewing" with the students over lunch. then you get a tour, get your file reviewed, and get fitted for scrubs/lab coats/gloves. very very long day...even more disorganized than the ucsf interview. be prepared for a lot of waiting and sitting around. :p

Thanks wasabi, that helps alot~! ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
my ucla interview was basically what wasabi said. The only difference was that we had breakfast with the student interviewers. Also, the essay question i had was pretty basic, someting like "What are the biggest challenges/difficulties the profession of dentistry will face in the future?" So two faculty interview you at the same time. I asked the other interviewees what their interviews were like and they were laid back for the most part. My interview was pretty hard. One of my interviewers was asking me really hard questions about myself, like analyzing my personality into great depth. So i guess it really depends on who you get. Also, the interviewers read my essay beforehand and they asked me about what I had written and asked me to explain certain parts of my essay. Also, we didn't get lunch so I was starving by the time the interview day ended. Overall, I really liked the school and everyone was VERY nice. I don't know how much that helps =) okay bye

hey hazelmei thanks for your post! from what i've read sounds like a loOong process. I also heard that 7:30 am interviewees have to stick around until 4pm. along with the 10 am people, was that true for all of you? Are there any breaks at all in the process?

hi ayoon,
I had an interview at 7:30 as well... but we didn't end at 4... I think we ended around 1:30 or 2 PM. And it's not busy the entire time, because there were only 4 interview pairs and there were a lot of us, so only 4 went at a time while the rest of us just sat around waiting...

hazelmei said:
my ucla interview was basically what wasabi said. The only difference was that we had breakfast with the student interviewers. Also, the essay question i had was pretty basic, someting like "What are the biggest challenges/difficulties the profession of dentistry will face in the future?" So two faculty interview you at the same time. I asked the other interviewees what their interviews were like and they were laid back for the most part. My interview was pretty hard. One of my interviewers was asking me really hard questions about myself, like analyzing my personality into great depth. So i guess it really depends on who you get. Also, the interviewers read my essay beforehand and they asked me about what I had written and asked me to explain certain parts of my essay. Also, we didn't get lunch so I was starving by the time the interview day ended. Overall, I really liked the school and everyone was VERY nice. I don't know how much that helps =) okay bye

Thanks for your useful post. I also liked your signature.

The interview entailed lots of sitting around, waiting.

so what do you think is the best way to use that time of sitting around?

I wish they could provide interviewees a pager. Kinda like waiting at a restaurant. Meanwhile, you could wonder within the dental school. And get paged once it is your turn.

Anyway, I dont mind just chatting with potential classmates.

jk5177 said:
so what do you think is the best way to use that time of sitting around?

Well, I'm still wondering what is the best to do while waiting. Maybe I'll just meditate or listen to some soothing muzak. I think talking to other interviewees may just be too anxious-strickedn. Yikes.

Still, any suggestions? Or maybe I'll bring a book and read.

jk5177 said:
Well, I'm still wondering what is the best to do while waiting. Maybe I'll just meditate or listen to some soothing muzak. I think talking to other interviewees may just be too anxious-strickedn. Yikes.

Still, any suggestions? Or maybe I'll bring a book and read.

I think talking with other interviewees is the best way to go. You don't have to talk about the application process...could be about anything if you think you'd be too nervous. Besides, chances are you could be classmates with these people so you'd want to get to know them a bit. I've met lots of cool people at all of my interviews.

Maybe I'll just use my pick up line.
Are you from Tennessee? Because ten is all I see!

I didn't think the wait was that long. I think I had 40 minutes to spare so I walked up one floor and befriended a vending machine (I didn't have breakfast so my blood sugar needed some elevation). I brought a book by Wally Lamb but was too nervous to concentrate, so, I spent the rest of my time talking to the other applicants. By the way, I would not suggest bringing music and/or other items that would isolate you from the rest of the group.

The interview itself was very laid-back. They asked 1-2 dentistry related questions and then we started talking about random topics. One of my interviewers was very theatric and bubbily while the other was a more reserved DDS/PhD. So it was a nice balance. Their names were foreign and complicated so I regretfully forgot their names 1 minute into the interview.

In total, the interview day was shorter and less stressful than expected.

Best of luck everybody and I'll see you in the fall!