UCLA Interview?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDBear3502

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma and I was wondering if you could offer some advice!

I accepted my offer to Tufts Dental School, which I am very excited about. And then yesterday I got an email from UCLA admission offering me an interview for next week!!! UCLA is one of my top schools and I previously really wanted to go to school in california, however since I'm from Boston it is very hard for me to get into the public schools there!

So I'm wondering if you believe it is a good idea to spend the money to fly out to UCLA, and whether you think I would have a good chance of getting in since it's so late in the game

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! I didn't know they were still giving out interviews! That's Great! I would go and check it out - you never know.

Members don't see this ad :)

I accepted my offer to Tufts Dental School, which I am very excited about. And then yesterday I got an email from UCLA admission offering me an interview for next week!!! UCLA is one of my top schools and I previously really wanted to go to school in california, however since I'm from Boston it is very hard for me to get into the public schools there!

So I'm wondering if you believe it is a good idea to spend the money to fly out to UCLA, and whether you think I would have a good chance of getting in since it's so late in the game

I'm pretty sure if they are offering you an interview this late in the game it's a good sign. I would definitely go.

Isn't it odd that at such a late date that UCLA would email you the interview offer instead of calling you up personally to make the offer?

you should def go to the interview. i wasnt considering it at all before i went to the interview, but i was completely impressed after going. and it's a chance to visit the west coast too! prepare yourself for some amazing weather.

So did you not hear anything from UCLA until now? That's so odd. Or were you waitlisted?

Hmm, I had just assumed that they had already interviewed everyone on their waitlist and would choose someone from there if a spot opened up.

I'm going to be applying for next year, so I'd kind of like to know how this whole process works ahead of time. Congrats, and keep us posted on what happens!

Sounds like a slap in the face to everyone on the UCLA alternate list. Does it mean that among the applicants on the list, they could not find one single person who was good enough to admit so they need to keep interviewing?

Sounds like a slap in the face to those on the UCLA alternate list. Does it mean that among the applicants on the list, they could not find one single person who was good enough to admit so they need to keep interviewing?

application process is weird sometimes... :(

Sounds like a slap in the face to everyone on the UCLA alternate list. Does it mean that among the applicants on the list, they could not find one single person who was good enough to admit so they need to keep interviewing?

Perhaps they have met their in-state quota and are looking for a few more OOS students to round out their class.

Perhaps they have met their in-state quota and are looking for a few more OOS students to round out their class.

That would assume that no one on the alternate list is from out of state. Do you know that to be true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the interview if you want to go to UCLA. I was in the same boat as you this time last year and I interviewed in mid may and I ended up getting in sometime in June. In fact there were at least 4 of us that interviewed in may that ended getting in. As far as the alternate list goes, I think they just want a larger pool of applicants to choose from when they make their offers. Overall, UCLA doesn't interview many applicants, so the alternate list can't be that big anyways. But if you get an interview that means that they're interested and you at least have a fighting chance. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Go to the interview if you want to go to UCLA. I was in the same boat as you this time last year and I interviewed in mid may and I ended up getting in sometime in June. In fact there were at least 4 of us that interviewed in may that ended getting in. As far as the alternate list goes, I think they just want a larger pool of applicants to choose from when they make their offers. Overall, UCLA doesn't interview many applicants, so the alternate list can't be that big anyways. But if you get an interview that means that they're interested and you at least have a fighting chance. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Though that sounds nice, it does not really explain why UCLA would not at least not make offers to their alternates before wooing other applicants? I am curious to know if anyone on their alternate list (apparantly different from their higher priority waitlist) has been offered admission?

Even if the plane tickets were less than 400... I would still be losing a deposit of like 1500 from tufts if I ended up going to UCLA!

ahhhhhh I don't know what to do! I have always wanted to go to Cali for school... and UCLA is a great dental school.

Than again, if I said no to UPENN, maybe I should say no to UCLA!?

Even if the plane tickets were less than 400... I would still be losing a deposit of like 1500 from tufts if I ended up going to UCLA!

ahhhhhh I don't know what to do! I have always wanted to go to Cali for school... and UCLA is a great dental school.

come to ucla...you'll love it. after visiting the school, and hearing what students had to say about it, i completely changed my perspective.

although i liked tufts too (my interview experience was amazing there, i like how honest they are with their students), so you cant go wrong with either in my opinion

hey mdbear,

if you feel comfortable, would mind too terribly sharing your stats and time of application?

im thinking if a school like ucla is impressed enough to interview you this late you should have some great stats but just applied really late. or was it something else?

hey mdbear,

if you feel comfortable, would mind too terribly sharing your stats and time of application?

im thinking if a school like ucla is impressed enough to interview you this late you should have some great stats but just applied really late. or was it something else?

Hate to sound pessimistic, but I think you guys on the alternate list are in trouble.

Here's the email:

May 10, 2007

On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I would like to extend an offer for you to interview at UCLA School of Dentistry. The following date is available:

Friday, May 18

We would like to inform you that you will be interviewing for an alternate position. A successful interview does not guarantee a seat in the Class of 2011.

The interviews begin in the morning and last throughout the day. Once the date is confirmed, you will receive directions along with a schedule of events via e-mail. Please notify me if your e-mail address has changed or if you would like to withdraw your application from further consideration.

To schedule an interview, please contact me no later than May 14, 2007 at [email protected] or 310-794-7971.

I look forward to meeting you.

Noemi Benitez
Admissions Coordinator
UCLA School of Dentistry

MDBear,

I am 100% sure that the last interview at ucla was in April (even for alternative list).
People like you who love giving b u lls hit false information (for any reason) to the other applicants on this forum DISCUSS ME.
you are a pathetic, f ucke d up psycho and I am sorry for the dental community that will suffer from liars like you in the future.

I would go. They're interested in you. Get a cheap southwest flight and you'll be fine. Good luck :luck:

1predent,

You are correct that the main interview cycle at UCLA ended in April. It is not uncommon, however, for schools to hold a few more small interview groups at their discretion after the main cycle of interviews have ended. The main cycle has currently ended at NYU and Boston as well, but they still plan on having a couple more small interview groups, according to their admissions office.

If Tufts had a refundable deposit, but UCLA charged $1500 more for tuition, would you still be worried? Essentially, those two scenarios are identical as far as your bank account is concerned.

Your financial cost to interview is the cost of travel plus hotel. It seems like a lot, but I'd bet anything that a year from now, you'll think it was a no brainer to at least check it out. I have do doubt that a year from now, when you are stressing over finals, you'd GLADLY pay that money to get rid of the nagging "what if" feeling.

Maybe. But then again, you'll be plonking down a quarter million dollars over the next four years -- don't you think it is worth it to know for sure that saying no to UCLA was the right decision?