UCLA letters sent out--Check Status Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if it's ok to fulfill a requirement (calculus) at a community college? I'm on the waitlist and I graduate in a few weeks but still need to take calculus (which I didn't need for my degree). What about online courses? Do they care?

pretty sure CC is okay, but call them to ask. sucks to have to take this course just for waitlist consideration

Members don't see this ad.

anyone get any news over the weekend?

this thread is slowly dying haha...

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admin office this morning and asked, and they said i should definitely hear back before may 15th. Great.

damn. i wonder if thats good or bad news?

he didn't ask me for my aamcas number, so i don't think we can infer anything from it. i'm just disappointed that it's taking this long to hear back.

he didn't ask me for my aamcas number, so i don't think we can infer anything from it. i'm just disappointed that it's taking this long to hear back.

Thanks for calling bruinator. I guess we all just have to practice patience a bit longer...and hopefully it will pay off with good news.

yea its pretty hit or miss with me as to whether they are going to ask for my amcas when i call. i got a guy this morning, asked him to look me up, and he said i should hear by may 15 as well. i guess that is our new date of doom.:(

hmmm. does anyone know if the people who got letters last week had a status change beforehand? I know some ppl asked but maybe I missed the answers.

hey everyone, i just called as well lol. i spoke to some nice guy with a british accent. anyways, i asked him specifically (again!) if they were still giving out acceptances to those who interviewed before march, and he said yes.

so im assuming it will be a mixed batch...hopefully with more acceptances than anything else!

:luck::luck::luck:

hey everyone, i just called as well lol. i spoke to some nice guy with a british accent. anyways, i asked him specifically (again!) if they were still giving out acceptances to those who interviewed before march, and he said yes.

so im assuming it will be a mixed batch...hopefully with more acceptances than anything else!

:luck::luck::luck:

Hope so!

any news today?

i was reading last year's thread and they had status changes on 4/23 and 4/26 which turned out to be holds/rejections. after reading that...it's really hard for me to remain positive that they're still giving out acceptances =x

any news today?

i was reading last year's thread and they had status changes on 4/23 and 4/26 which turned out to be holds/rejections. after reading that...it's really hard for me to remain positive that they're still giving out acceptances =x

yeah i agree...im trying really hard to stay optimistic, but i just dont see how this long wait will eventually lead to an acceptance, despite what the office keeps telling me. oh well, i hope im wrong. and even if i do hear the worst (hold/rejection), im still very fortunate to have another great school to go to, so i'm very happy about that.

:luck: guys, only a few more weeks until they have to tell us something.

Members don't see this ad :)
we can still be accepted! ucla is just slow....reallly slow.

hey yall,

i really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i emailed dean parker a few days ago because i had some questions about international opportunities at UCLA. i also asked him about the status of pending applications (figured it would be better to go right to the source) and here was his reply, verbatim from the email:

As to the committee, we are in a hold pattern till after the AAMC's May 15th date
and likely no further action will occur till the start of June.

Dr Parker

so apparently they already made a decision on us and will tell us by may 15th, or haven't
made a decision yet (possibly because they overbooked?) and won't look at our files again until the start of june.
either way, i am glad to finally have some accurate information from them.

hey yall,

i really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i emailed dean parker a few days ago because i had some questions about international opportunities at UCLA. i also asked him about the status of pending applications (figured it would be better to go right to the source) and here was his reply, verbatim from the email:

As to the committee, we are in a hold pattern till after the AAMC's May 15th date

Dr Parker

so apparently they already made a decision on us and will tell us by may 15th, or haven't
made a decision yet (possibly because they overbooked?) and won't look at our files again until the start of june.

damn. why can't the admissions comittee just tell us this instead of being shady? laaaaame.

hey yall,

Dr Parker

Thanks for sharing the info neurofreak. I guess we just REALLY have to be patient.

what does he mean when he says 'hold pattern'? thanks

Not sure if this information is helpful, but i was at second look this weekend and asked about admissions (b/c i care about you guys!), SO, UCLA apparently does not overbook their class (meaning if they have 130 spots, they will only accept 130 people at one time). This is unlike other schools that may outright accept 200 people, even if they only have 130 spots. I hope this means good news in that there will be a fair amount of waitlist movement if people decide not to go to UCLA. And I did meet people who were undecided.

Hope that helps, for those of you who are waitlisted. (disclaimer: they did not say, however, if they had already accepted their capacity or had more to give out, but there was a record number of people at 2nd look) :luck::luck:

thanks for the info ladydoc! helpful as always :)

Not sure if this information is helpful, but i was at second look this weekend and asked about admissions (b/c i care about you guys!), SO, UCLA apparently does not overbook their class (meaning they have say 130 spots, and they have only accepted 130 people). This is unlike other schools that may outright accept 200 people, even if they only have 130 spots. I hope this means good news in that there will be a fair amount of waitlist movement if people decide not to go to UCLA. And I did meet people who were undecided.

Hope that helps, for those of you who are waitlisted. (disclaimer: they did not say, however, if they had already accepted their capacity or had more to give out, but there was a record number of people at 2nd look) :luck::luck:
this sounds like bad news

i actually thought it might be good news because other schools that overbook before May 15th will take less people from the waitlist, because they accepted too many in the first place...BUT, since our wonderful UCLA does not overbook (according to administration i talked with at second look), if they loose 50 with the May 15th deadine, they pick them up directly from the waitlsit.

dont forget, they still might have open spots! they didnt say whether or not they were at capacity!
:luck:
this sounds like bad news

at this point in the cycle...i think a tranquilizer might be more effective... :p

at this point in the cycle...i think a tranquilizer might be more effective... :p

haha for real. well they didn't say whether they were at capacity, but the fact that they are in a 'holding pattern' until after May 15 definitely implies it, no? If they have to accept 130 by that date and aren't making anymore decisions until then, it sounds pretty bad for us. but then why are they still interviewing? gaaahhh i don't know. If I have to wait until June I'm going to die. I just want to know whether to be stoked to go to UCLA, or stoked to go to USC!!!!

If I have to wait until June I'm going to die!!

second that for reals.

thanks for the info, lady doc! how did you like ucla the second time around? anything strike you that you didn't know or realize before?

anyone else wanna try emailing dean parker and asking him these questions? he's a pretty helpful guy, and is probably the most accurate source of information out there.

i just don't feel like emailing him AGAIN with admissions questions haha..

I just want to know whether to be stoked to go to UCLA, or stoked to go to USC!!!!
See, as a fellow applicant, I understand your sentence. As a bruin, i'm getting a little lost in what you're saying. stoked? USC?

JK :)

just a beer? more like a handle of vodka

haha, well, brew co doesn't serve handles of vodka, so i'll just keep going with those beer of the month beers until i forget why i'm drinking:)

See, as a fellow applicant, I understand your sentence. As a bruin, i'm getting a little lost in what you're saying. stoked? USC?

JK :)

haha believe me, I would much rather be a bruin (duh) ... but, if UCLA rejects me, I will not hesitate to shed bruin blood ;)

haha, well, brew co doesn't serve handles of vodka, so i'll just keep going with those beer of the month beers until i forget why i'm drinking:)
hey, I've got ethanol and isofluorane right here on my lab bench....

I think at this point, this means we won't be getting a decision anytime soon but that we could potentially be better off than people already on the waitlist since I assume our applications will be the first ones looked at when they look to fill the class after May 15th. Obviously, if they've only accepted 130 people up until this point, they'll need to accept at least 75-100 more eventually to fill the class.

I think at this point, this means we won't be getting a decision anytime soon but that we could potentially be better off than people already on the waitlist since I assume our applications will be the first ones looked at when they look to fill the class after May 15th. Obviously, if they've only accepted 130 people up until this point, they'll need to accept at least 75-100 more eventually to fill the class.

Don't they need to tell everyone who interviewed at least a yay/nay/WL before May 15th, though? Or is that not a rule?

Obviously, if they've only accepted 130 people up until this point, they'll need to accept at least 75-100 more eventually to fill the class.

do you really think THAT many people won't go to UCLA?

i was thinking more like 15-20...highly doubt they will take 75 more...

Don't they need to tell everyone who interviewed at least a yay/nay/WL before May 15th, though? Or is that not a rule?

don't think it's a rule. i read somewhere on SDN that some UCDavis applicants last year who interviewed in march didn't hear until june.

Hello yall,

i'm new to the network, and desperately need some luck. I still have not heard back from UCLA for an interview acceptance or rejectance. I applied to 15 schools, interviewed at harvard didn't get in, then got rejected at every other school. Has anyone had an interview recently?

Waiting sucks!

Hello yall,

i'm new to the network, and desperately need some luck. I still have not heard back from UCLA for an interview acceptance or rejectance. I applied to 15 schools, interviewed at harvard didn't get in, then got rejected at every other school. Has anyone had an interview recently?

Waiting sucks!

I am positive they were still interviewing as of last week. I was in CHS and saw people in suits with the little folders they give you walking towards the admissions office, so they were def. interviewees. Hope it works out for you!

**NOTE: I threw 130 out there as an example. Not sure exactly how big or small the class is.**

As for the second look weekend:

It was great. I hope you all get a chance to go to UCLA! Their curriculum is by far the most awesome i've seen. The new hospital is gonna be amazing. You can walk to bars! The students there seem to be more than happy. The anatomy lab is really nice: it has windows (which i didnt know!) and is really well ventilated. Hmm...if any of you have more Q's let me know!

I guess i'm trying to push karma in my direction, so i just withdrew from all the schools i was accepted to except UCD, so it's either UCLA or UCD come fall 08!

I guess i'm trying to push karma in my direction, so i just withdrew from all the schools i was accepted to except UCD, so it's either UCLA or UCD come fall 08!

karma definitely cant hurt!
the record numbers at 2nd look do hurt though... thats more interested, less likely to withdraw... such is life - i've become such a pessimist!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'll likely be withdrawing from UCLA, so keep the hope alive! I hope you all get in!

Thanks MSJLewis!! I'm not sure what could be better than UCLA but congrats! and thanks for the info. LadyDoc... as if UCLA wasn't already my dream school : ).

HAHA so funny. :laugh: Anyway, i guess there's no point wishing and hoping that i get out of WL. Might as well be pumped about going to UCD (not that I am not).

Random question: what do u do if you email schools and tell them you are withdrawing, but they decide to ignore you? Do you have to send them a signed letter notifying of this? Thanks!!

do you really think THAT many people won't go to UCLA?

i was thinking more like 15-20...highly doubt they will take 75 more...

UCLA's yield is 50%, which is actually pretty good. Many top schools (like WashU, UChicago, etc. have yields around 30%). But, even at 50%, that means UCLA has to accept 260 to fill a class of 130. Even Harvard doesn't have the kind of yield you're talking about.

This is all assuming that UCLA has only accepted 130 up until this point. I find it hard to believe but :rolleyes:

bigred - where are you getting these numbers about yield? US News?