UCLA Olive View

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeftKoast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the posts about Olive View seem to be older. What is the competitiveness of Olive View residents for residency matching into outside programs in SoCal? What's their realistic ability to do electives/research through UCLA? Their most recent match list looks pretty decent. Anybody have anymore info about this program? How difficult is it to match into this program?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Anyone? Bueller?

There are a lot of threads on UCLA Olive in the past.

I believe last year or back in 2008, Olive View went unfilled. I was shocked. Many interview at the program, but either med students don't rank it high enough or the program doesn't rank the applicants.

Olive View is a community program, but it has strong ties to UCLA. Because of this, fellowships are often within UCLA for the residents. Which is good. The program is laid back with friendly nursing staff. I believe the program is medium size... about 18 residents per class.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucla-olive view being friendly is an overstatement....as a med student I rotated through there and had a horrible time....so bad i rejected my interview offer...I would do a second look if you r really interested in the program. If they don't get their act together they're the next program to shut down in LA County. It's just a disgruntled ex-medstudent's opinion, so take it for what it's worth....but if the program didn't fill last year, it must be for a reason...

Last edited:
ucla-olive view being friendly is an overstatement....as a med student I rotated through there and had a horrible time....so bad i rejected my interview offer...I would do a second look if you r really interested in the program. If they don't get their act together they're the next program to shut down in LA County. It's just a disgruntled ex-medstudent's opinion, so take it for what it's worth....but if the program didn't feel last year, it must be for a reason...

Since you mentioned "shut down", how financially stable are some of these Cali programs in general (not just limited to Olive View, but also Harbor, USC, Kaiser, Cedars, etc.)? This is probably not the first time I read on sdn about hospitals shutting down in Cali. While I would love to train in Cali, I certainly don't want to be at a place that is unstable. Any thoughts?

I honestly don't know, but LA County hospitals are spread way too thin for health care dollars....but it's not just that....Olive View needs to get their stuff organized....it felt a little too chaotic there for me and as an interviewee you won't see that chaos unless you work there or do a rotation there...remember when you interview, they're trying to put a front to impress you....not all is as clear, or "happy" as they make it seem.

ucla-olive view being friendly is an overstatement....as a med student I rotated through there and had a horrible time....so bad i rejected my interview offer...I would do a second look if you r really interested in the program. If they don't get their act together they're the next program to shut down in LA County. It's just a disgruntled ex-medstudent's opinion, so take it for what it's worth....but if the program didn't fill last year, it must be for a reason...

Can you please elaborate on your experience? Part of their pitch was that 6 out of the last 7 years the UCLA medical students have rated Olive View as their favorite rotation site. That's a pretty strong statement from a medical student perspective.

Also, where can I find out if they really didn't fill in 2008?

There are a lot of threads on UCLA Olive in the past.

I believe last year or back in 2008, Olive View went unfilled. I was shocked. Many interview at the program, but either med students don't rank it high enough or the program doesn't rank the applicants.

Olive View is a community program, but it has strong ties to UCLA. Because of this, fellowships are often within UCLA for the residents. Which is good. The program is laid back with friendly nursing staff. I believe the program is medium size... about 18 residents per class.

Actually, I remember why they did not fill recently. They were actually up front about this at the interview. They used to be called the UCLA San Fernando Valley Program, and they screwed up their match list by not recognizing that they had two #'s entered into the match, because their old name was still on the list. Many people who ranked them, ranked the wrong program name that was actually not being used by the institution since they changed to "Olive View". Thus, just assuming that they didn't fill because it is a terrible program is pretty lazy and misleading.

Can you please elaborate on your experience? Part of their pitch was that 6 out of the last 7 years the UCLA medical students have rated Olive View as their favorite rotation site. That's a pretty strong statement from a medical student perspective.

Also, where can I find out if they really didn't fill in 2008?

I'm a first year medical student at UCLA. Through my limited experience, I get the impression that students are allowed to do A LOT more at olive view than at Ronald Reagan, where most 3rd/4th years do their rotations. So, therefore, med students' positive impression of olive view could be due the ability to actually do stuff rather than Olive View being a well-run program. Again, this is based on my very limited shadowing experiences as a first year. Having said that, I have really enjoyed the people I have come into contact with in the ED at OVMC. I would love to do residency there in the combined program with Ronald Reagan in Emergency Medicine :)

Actually, I remember why they did not fill recently. They were actually up front about this at the interview. They used to be called the UCLA San Fernando Valley Program, and they screwed up their match list by not recognizing that they had two #'s entered into the match, because their old name was still on the list. Many people who ranked them, ranked the wrong program name that was actually not being used by the institution since they changed to "Olive View". Thus, just assuming that they didn't fill because it is a terrible program is pretty lazy and misleading.

believe whatever you want to believe....I just gave my personal opinion after experiencing a full on sub-I rotation as a med student there...I'm sure that's more than an interviewee or a first year med-student can relate about their "experience" there....and your explanation about why they did not match sure sounds like a typical olive-view experience......disorganized and chaotic....I mean what kind of program and/or administrators would let their match be jeopardized by not checking carefully about their "number" or "name", etc, etc blah, blah, blah. Hey if you like the program, then go ahead and match there....it's your career and it doesn't affect me one bit....good luck

believe whatever you want to believe....I just gave my personal opinion after experiencing a full on sub-I rotation as a med student there...I'm sure that's more than an interviewee or a first year med-student can relate about their "experience" there....and your explanation about why they did not match sure sounds like a typical olive-view experience......disorganized and chaotic....I mean what kind of program and/or administrators would let their match be jeopardized by not checking carefully about their "number" or "name", etc, etc blah, blah, blah. Hey if you like the program, then go ahead and match there....it's your career and it doesn't affect me one bit....good luck

You still haven't elaborated on why your experience was so poor there. I'd really appreciate details if you can provide them? If you don't feel comfortable sharing them on the public forum, perhaps you could send me a PM? You're right, this is my career on the line, which is why I am trying to get more information about a program I felt good about on the interview day. Any help is much appreciated.

PS - Where did you end up going for residency? I'm very interested in the LA area.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm resurrecting this bad boy again. Quickly, had my UCLA Olive View program. I was impressed by the morning report, the PD and aPDs were very friendly and supportive it seemed like, the residents were friendly and got along, great county pathology, great research connections with the UCLA mothership. Decent fellowship match. I really had that gut feeling while I was interviewing. Highly considering ranking this program above some other programs that may be more "competitive." Thoughts? Anybody?

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm resurrecting this bad boy again. Quickly, had my UCLA Olive View program. I was impressed by the morning report, the PD and aPDs were very friendly and supportive it seemed like, the residents were friendly and got along, great county pathology, great research connections with the UCLA mothership. Decent fellowship match. I really had that gut feeling while I was interviewing. Highly considering ranking this program above some other programs that may be more "competitive." Thoughts? Anybody?

I've rotated through there and thought it was a great program. I thought the amount of time and dedication to teaching were incredible. I'm reading the past posts and I think the atmosphere has changed quite a bit. Dr. Wali and the aPDs are super friendly and supportive, and Dr. Wali's not to be underestimated in how much pull she has for your fellowship application.

I think your points about Olive View are correct - very friendly, super supportive, great county pathology. However, I would hesitate in saying you may have the same research connections as you would elsewhere. It might be more difficult to get research done within Olive View, as you might at a different institution. If you plan to be a clinician though, I don't think you could go wrong with Olive View. Olive View residents are among the happiest in the LA area.

They made a big point on interview day on the availability of getting clinical research done with OV UCLA and the RR UCLA staff as well... do you think that's true? I really fell in love with the program and may be ranking it within my top 3...

They made a big point on interview day on the availability of getting clinical research done with OV UCLA and the RR UCLA staff as well... do you think that's true? I really fell in love with the program and may be ranking it within my top 3...

I think it's possible to do clinical research at Olive View, depending on what you're interested in. To be honest, I don't know of many residents there who are doing research with RR UCLA staff. Is that a bad sign? Possibly. I would email OV residents who are doing research in the field you're interested in, and ask them how easy/difficult it was to get a research project. I'm always skeptical of programs who say there's a lot of cross talk between programs of the same institution.

What about reputation, especially outside of Southern California?
What is the consensus about niceness of residents at USC. Also why do they have Fmgs still?

Bump...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

What about reputation, especially outside of Southern California?
What is the consensus about niceness of residents at USC. Also why do they have Fmgs still?
I'm from socal. Olive View i an amazing place do to residency. It is my number 2, even though I've interviewed at elite programs on both coasts. I feel very comfortable and at home at Olive View because of the amazingly nice faculty and residents and grateful county patients. I've rotated through medicine at several southern california academic hospitals and Olive view is where I learned the most and encountered the happiest residents and nicest attendings.
The fellowship match is good, especially if your goal is to stay in southern california. I personally worked with 2 Cardiology fellows at UCLA Ronald Reagan who did residency at Olive View.
As far as IMGs, there aren't any in any of the classes. A lot of UCLA med students end up matching here.

I'm from socal. Olive View i an amazing place do to residency. It is my number 2, even though I've interviewed at elite programs on both coasts. I feel very comfortable and at home at Olive View because of the amazingly nice faculty and residents and grateful county patients. I've rotated through medicine at several southern california academic hospitals and Olive view is where I learned the most and encountered the happiest residents and nicest attendings.
The fellowship match is good, especially if your goal is to stay in southern california. I personally worked with 2 Cardiology fellows at UCLA Ronald Reagan who did residency at Olive View.
As far as IMGs, there aren't any in any of the classes. A lot of UCLA med students end up matching here.

That is great to hear. I loved Olive View on my interview day... I thought I was crazy by putting it higher on my list. It's top three for me potentially at this point. What's your #1?

I'm also from socal and I have to caution you that outside of the southern California region, Olive View isn't really well known. I think Olive View is a fantastic place to train at but if you're interested in cardiology, particularly some of the best fellowship programs around the nation, you have to keep in mind that the STEMIs get sent to UCLA or elsewhere. I would look at the cardiology fellowship at Cedars (pretty top notch in the region) and see if they recruit heavily from Olive View.

I noticed in the thread that there was a disgruntled medical student who mentioned s/he was called "unteachable." That seems bizarre since in my encounters with the residents and attendings, they've always been very patient and excellent teachers. There's a sense of camaderie in the county system and it's an "all hands on deck" approach as it is county, and they need as many hands as possible to help out. I thought some of my best learning came from Olive View.