UCLA or Harvard

Started by azbioc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

azbioc

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to do this but I am having a really rough time with this choice. I was planning on going to UCLA, but I got a call from Harvard the other day and I am very confused. I am out of state at both schools so financially they are around the same price (within 10K). I am thinking about trying to specialize and both schools seem to have wonderful programs for that route. Any advice will be appreciated, and I already have heard a lot from future UCLA dental students. This thread was started in order to gain a broader spectrum of ideas. Thanks.
 
Harvard is like a guaranteed specialty. If you dont want to specialize than stick where the sun shines, and you can study outdoors most of the year.
 
Sorry to do this but I am having a really rough time with this choice. I was planning on going to UCLA, but I got a call from Harvard the other day and I am very confused. I am out of state at both schools so financially they are around the same price (within 10K). I am thinking about trying to specialize and both schools seem to have wonderful programs for that route. Any advice will be appreciated, and I already have heard a lot from future UCLA dental students. This thread was started in order to gain a broader spectrum of ideas. Thanks.

D
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why must you ask this question? if you ask people they will tell you "it does not matter where you go to school". They say this b/c they do not get accepted to harvard. It's HARVARD man, even if the dental school is not that great clinically, it does not have to be b/c it is HARVARD. get it. you get away with things by going there.
 
Did you do your math correctly as regards tuition? You are virtually guaranteed in-state tuition for years 2-4 at UCLA. Maybe it is the same as Harvard nowadays. If so, it sure has gone up a lot.

What I did was go to both of their websites and found the estimated cost of attendance. Added them up, UCLA had an extra 12K for the first year out of state. Let me know if anybody got a different total... it was early when I was adding these up. UCLA for 4 years $249,025 Harvard $257,880.
 
Why must you ask this question? if you ask people they will tell you "it does not matter where you go to school". They say this b/c they do not get accepted to harvard. It's HARVARD man, even if the dental school is not that great clinically, it does not have to be b/c it is HARVARD. get it. you get away with things by going there.

:laugh: You can find a ton of people on this forum who were accepted to Harvard and chose to go elsewhere, even though IT WAS HARVARD.
 
:laugh:
:laugh: You can find a ton of people on this forum who were accepted to Harvard and chose to go elsewhere, even though IT WAS HARVARD.

So? That does not mean anything. Maybe they got accepted by their first choice? don't you think? Try thinking outside the box for a change. It sounds like UCLA is not his first choice. If it were, then he would not ask the question. Difference between him and the others. :laugh:
 
So you're saying there are better choices than HARVARD??? That cannot be. :wow:

ofcourse there is, example: all the texas schools, missisipi, oklahoma, and basically every dental school that coast less than $70,000 in tuition over four years.:scared: 😱
 
:laugh:

So? That does not mean anything. Maybe they got accepted by their first choice? don't you think? Try thinking outside the box for a change. It sounds like UCLA is not his first choice. If it were, then he would not ask the question. Difference between him and the others. :laugh:

Have you ever thought that he didnt have a "first choice"? Not everyone knows what their first choice is and have to think about it before making a decision.
 
I still laugh whenever I see people posting threads like this. Are you going to post threads on which girl you should marry or what home you should buy 10 years down the road? Make these decisions on your own man.
 
:laugh:

So? That does not mean anything. Maybe they got accepted by their first choice? don't you think? Try thinking outside the box for a change. It sounds like UCLA is not his first choice. If it were, then he would not ask the question. Difference between him and the others. :laugh:

Man, you think so outside the box that you don't even know what you're trying to say. :laugh:

Seriously, what this guy needs is a list of criteria he wants from a dental school, so he can make an objective assessment of which school, UCLA or Harvard, is better for him. What he doesn't need to do is join in with the automatic "Harvard has a well-known undergrad, so it must be the best" groupthink so many people on this forum ascribe to.
 
I still laugh whenever I see people posting threads like this. Are you going to post threads on which girl you should marry or what home you should buy 10 years down the road? Make these decisions on your own man.

Eh, it's a hard decision. If I seriously though SDN could have helped me (which I didn't) I would have made a thread too.
 
Why must you ask this question? if you ask people they will tell you "it does not matter where you go to school". They say this b/c they do not get accepted to harvard. It's HARVARD man, even if the dental school is not that great clinically, it does not have to be b/c it is HARVARD. get it. you get away with things by going there.

ofcourse there is, example: all the texas schools, missisipi, oklahoma, and basically every dental school that coast less than $70,000 in tuition over four years.:scared: 😱

but what about HARVARD?? 🙁
 
As an Az resident we are very unfortunate in that there are no schools (that I am aware of) that the cost of attendance will be under 70 for all four years. Your are right about not having a first choice. I went into the process with a very open mind and did not have my heart set on any particular school. After interviews and acceptances though, Harvard/UCLA/UCSF all became very appealing. I decided to rescend UCSF literally two days before Harvard called with a new complication. I would also like to hear some of the reasoning behind why people would choose another school (especially UCLA) over Harvard or visa versa.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an Az resident we are very unfortunate in that there are no schools (that I am aware of) that the cost of attendance will be under 70 for all four years. Your are right about not having a first choice. I went into the process with a very open mind and did not have my heart set on any particular school. After interviews and acceptances though, Harvard/UCLA/UCSF all became very appealing. I decided to rescend UCSF literally two days before Harvard called with a new complication. I would also like to hear some of the reasoning behind why people would choose another school (especially UCLA) over Harvard or visa versa.

I really wish I could help you out man, but it seems like you and I plan to walk two completely different paths. You might want to PM user in her drawer, who had to decide between Harvard, Penn, UCLA and UCSF.

The only thing I would really feel comfortable doing is asking you some (possibly) guiding questions. How do you feel about PBL? What about LA vs. Boston? Where do you hope to practice in the future? How much does class size matter?
 
:laugh: You can find a ton of people on this forum who were accepted to Harvard and chose to go elsewhere, even though IT WAS HARVARD.

I wouldn't say a ton of people turned down Harvard. In Her Drawer did turn them down, as well as a hand full of others who have state schools with low tuition. Maybe IHD is afraid of snow or has family in SF. He may get WICHE funding and pay less. You don't know everyone's situations. There are 35 students in the HSDM Class of 2011 and they admit around 45-50 to fill those seats from an applicant pool of ~1500.

Harvard is a great school for someone who wants more out of their dental career. If you want to graduate in 4 years (3 for you armor) and set up a mom-and-pop dental practice, then going to Harvard is not a smart move. If you want to graduate in 4 years, specialize, do academia or have every door in the dental profession open to you, then Harvard is a smart move. It is the smallest and most selective dental school in the country and the students benefit from that.
 
I wouldn't say a ton of people turned down Harvard. In Her Drawer did turn them down, as well as a hand full of others who have state schools with low tuition. Maybe IHD is afraid of snow or has family in SF. He may get WICHE funding and pay less. You don't know everyone's situations. There are 35 students in the HSDM Class of 2011 and they admit around 45-50 to fill those seats from an applicant pool of ~1500.

Harvard is a great school for someone who wants more out of their dental career. If you want to graduate in 4 years (3 for you armor) and set up a mom-and-pop dental practice, then going to Harvard is not a smart move. If you want to graduate in 4 years, specialize, do academia or have every door in the dental profession open to you, then Harvard is a smart move. It is the smallest and most selective dental school in the country and the students benefit from that.

I'm not going to argue with you here, because you're right. In fact, you're actually agreeing with me. All I'm trying to say is that you should go to the school which will best help you attain your personal goals, and is the best fit for you, not simply because the school is well known (unless of course, your goal is to go to a well known school).
 
Harvard graduates are nearly 100% garanteed to go to specialty of their choice

ucla is only 8000$ cheaper than Harvard. so, the question is, wouldn't you be better off paying 8000$ more and going to a private school? is this even a question?

Harvard has a smaller size in third and forth year and I am 100% sure that the faculty to student ratio is much higher at Harvard.



Sorry to do this but I am having a really rough time with this choice. I was planning on going to UCLA, but I got a call from Harvard the other day and I am very confused. I am out of state at both schools so financially they are around the same price (within 10K). I am thinking about trying to specialize and both schools seem to have wonderful programs for that route. Any advice will be appreciated, and I already have heard a lot from future UCLA dental students. This thread was started in order to gain a broader spectrum of ideas. Thanks.
 
Sorry to do this but I am having a really rough time with this choice. I was planning on going to UCLA, but I got a call from Harvard the other day and I am very confused. I am out of state at both schools so financially they are around the same price (within 10K). I am thinking about trying to specialize and both schools seem to have wonderful programs for that route. Any advice will be appreciated, and I already have heard a lot from future UCLA dental students. This thread was started in order to gain a broader spectrum of ideas. Thanks.


T
 
Harvard graduates are nearly 100% garanteed to go to specialty of their choice

ucla is only 8000$ cheaper than Harvard. so, the question is, wouldn't you be better off paying 8000$ more and going to a private school? is this even a question?

Harvard has a smaller size in third and forth year and I am 100% sure that the faculty to student ratio is much higher at Harvard.

Frankly, I don't think any of the pro-Harvard points made so far are exlusive of UCLA. You will have absolutely no problem entering a specialty from UCLA as over half of the UCLA class every year goes on to specialize. I don't think you'll have trouble getting "more out of your dental career." If you want to become a professor, that will be available to you.

Yeah, in the long-run $25-30k or so difference in price isn't a huge number, but I wouldn't consider cost a non-factor.

I suggest you consider some of the questions posed by shell:

How do you feel about PBL? What about LA vs. Boston? Where do you hope to practice in the future? How much does class size matter?

If all of these answers point to California and UCLA or Boston and Hahvard, I think your decision is made right there.
 
:laugh: I agree. If money isn't a factor then I would pick Harvard.




Why must you ask this question? if you ask people they will tell you "it does not matter where you go to school". They say this b/c they do not get accepted to harvard. It's HARVARD man, even if the dental school is not that great clinically, it does not have to be b/c it is HARVARD. get it. you get away with things by going there.
 
Sorry to do this but I am having a really rough time with this choice. I was planning on going to UCLA, but I got a call from Harvard the other day and I am very confused. I am out of state at both schools so financially they are around the same price (within 10K). I am thinking about trying to specialize and both schools seem to have wonderful programs for that route. Any advice will be appreciated, and I already have heard a lot from future UCLA dental students. This thread was started in order to gain a broader spectrum of ideas. Thanks.


azbioc, you should ask yourself what you want in a school because ucla and harvard's curriculums are very different. I was admitted to harvard, but chose to go to my state school mainly b/c of the curriculum. family and location are other important things to consider, at least for me. both schools have high match rates for specialty programs. it really depends if you mind paying extra for more medical experience.
 
Come on, dude
You are smart and unique enough to get into Harvard, then you should be wise enough to make the dicision for yourself. Most of the kids here have no H love, and most of them have never been to HSDM b4, so it would not help much to ask them.
I know at this point of the game, you dont have much time to decide; however, in life, sometimes you have to make the decision for yourself and nobody can decide it for you. Just grow up and show those kids how mature and determined a true H student is.

I hear you... I just was looking for some info, not for someone to decide for me. I regret posting the thread, and am capable of making my own choices. This thread can stop, I was just looking for a bit of help because I am in finals week and have limited time to think about my choice. Sorry.
 
I hear you... It is my choice and I am not looking for someone to make it for me. However, I do not have a lot of time to decide and I am right in the middle of finals week at that. I posted the thread to try to get as much information as possible to aid in my choice. I do regret posting this thread, I just have not thought about Harvard for a good four month period and was looking for some help. In that light, I do not know if trying to use all of my potential resources is grounds for needing to grow up.

Good luck
 
I turned down a couple other schools for HSDM, so I can feel you. Sorry for being so harsh on you (you may end up being my classmate...😱 ) But do you have any feelings for the school, anything that attracts you most: friendliness of the students, copious opp, low stress environment???
I think when making a decision like this, dont take the money into account. Use your gut feeling...cuz if you choose a school just because the money you may end up hating it for the rest of your life.

No worries. I am just super stressed out with finals because I cannot seem to think about anything but Harvard/UCLA. By the way I edited that response already! My mind is just about made up. I thought Harvard was amazing even with my limited time at the school. The students were very friendly, the facilities were amazing (I still have a visual of those big screens in the study rooms!). The only thing holding me back from Harvard was the harsh weather. After tossing and turning all night last night, I have revamped my thinking. I am eager to be able to experience the Boston culture and think it will be a wonderful opportunity to expand myself. Even if that opinion changes after my first experience with -15 degree weather at least I will still be going to one amazing school right, haha.
 
No worries. I am just super stressed out with finals because I cannot seem to think about anything but Harvard/UCLA. By the way I edited that response already! My mind is just about made up. I thought Harvard was amazing even with my limited time at the school. The students were very friendly, the facilities were amazing (I still have a visual of those big screens in the study rooms!). The only thing holding me back from Harvard was the harsh weather. After tossing and turning all night last night, I have revamped my thinking. I am eager to be able to experience the Boston culture and think it will be a wonderful opportunity to expand myself. Even if that opinion changes after my first experience with -15 degree weather at least I will still be going to one amazing school right, haha.

Either choice you make will be a good choice. You can't go wrong dude, they're both great schools! If you turn it down and I get called off the waitlist though, I'll still be seeing you at UCLA in Sept. If you decide on Harvard, you'll have some great people to be in school with and enjoy all the perks being a part of HSDM has for you. Either way you gotta be loving life right now. Congrats and best of luck!
 
If I were you I'd be puzzled, too. Both are great schools. However the clinical experience to me would be an important factor to consider. I had a chance to shadow a harvard grad specialist at his own office, and believe it or not, his business wasn't going very well even with the name. I've heard a few general dentists critisizing his clinical work, and I think that's why he doesn't have enough patients--although his patients all found his school name appealing, it is the general dentists' decisions whether they'd refer patients to you if you are a specialist. And their decisions are solely based on how good your clinical work is.
So I will be attending UCLA, a school that will help me specialize (if i decide to and if i work hard enough myself) and can also train me well clinically if I decide to be a general dentist. However, you may find harvard very appealing if you are considering a career in academia as well.
oh wait, why did i spend so much time typing all these... someone will just call this H envy and my post will be worthless junk anyway:laugh:
(May I ask: did every harvard student get in ucla too? if they speak for harvard then is that considered envy as well?🙄 )

Again both are great schools. Good luck. Be happy and be proud. Don't be miserable.
 
the girls are prettier at UCLA. the girls are smarter at Harvard. what's your cup of tea? brains or beauty?

Your career won't change any based on UCLA v Harvard. It really comes down to... do you prefer to wear a Harvard or UCLA t shirt? UCLA makes some sexy shirts, while the Veri tas shield's pretty phat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is your preference? I'd love to know.

the girls are prettier at UCLA. the girls are smarter at Harvard. what's your cup of tea? brains or beauty?

Your career won't change any based on UCLA v Harvard. It really comes down to... do you prefer to wear a Harvard or UCLA t shirt? UCLA makes some sexy shirts, while the Veri tas shield's pretty phat.
 
I'm still butthurt over your decision...but congrats nonetheless. Make sure to keep in touch. I'll trade you pics of your ass (not literal) in an eskimo costume for pics of my burnt ass on the beach.