UCLA or UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azbioc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you got accepted to both UCLA/UCSF. Which school are you attending and for what reasons? I am having a terrible time deciding between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

you might get a better answer if you ask this question in dental forum not the predents

try doing a search. this topic comes up often

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got accepted to both UCLA/UCSF. Which school are you attending and for what reasons? I am having a terrible time deciding between the two.

Last yr, I chose UCLA over UCSF eventhough my home is close to UCSF. So far everything is gr8. I love the school, my professors and my classmates. UCLA SOD 2010 :thumbup:

UCSF for sure :
academic, clinical, life style, patient load, dental students..all ucsf>ucla
are you kidding?

more hippies too :D

haha yeah i have had about enough with hippies. My plan is to go to each city within the next two weeks and figure out where I could see myself living. I am leaning more toward ucla though.

haha yeah i have had about enough with hippies. My plan is to go to each city within the next two weeks and figure out where I could see myself living. I am leaning more toward ucla though.

I recommend going with your gut rather than other people's opinions. All that stuff about research dollars, board scores, and specialty rates is fairly irrelevant to your educational experience. The most important thing is going where you'll be happiest. Think about what is important in your life and what makes you happy. Ask yourself if you'll get more of that in LA or SF.

I picked UCLA over UCSF.

Environment: Lots of people say that SF is pretty and LA only has smog, but I like West Hollywood better than beautiful SF when it comes to living: although beautiful, SF has lots of bums and hippies, and those are not for me. I also don't like the weather there. I like sunny weather, and an UCSF student told me that SF is a place that doesn't really have summer (she's from LA). So I thought I would'nt like it there as much.

Faculty: I was impressed by the facullty members at both schools. The profs at ucsf are extremely nice, but my UCLA interviewer was so amazing that I was convinced that UCLA has got the best instructors. He was caring, smart, passionate about teaching and intellectually challenging. I also talked to the students there and they like the faculty a lot, too. :)

Curriculum: This one got me leaning towards UCSF at first. ISO and first summer off sound very nice. However, I figured that I would (or should) probably use most of my ISO afternoons studying anyway, since I want to specialize. On the other hand, I have heard a few ucsf students saying the new curriculum is not yet very organized. After thinking it through I was about neutral on this one.

Students/social life: I like how UCLA D2 D3 D4's are assigned to work together in the clinic. I also like the big campus.

Other: I don't like the traffic in LA very much, but I guess I don't have to deal with it most of the time since I am planning to look for housing near school.

I would love to attend ucsf, too. Both are great schools and I had an extremely hard time deciding. I just want to share with you my thoughts that have lead me to my decision. No matter what your final decision is, you will not regret cuz you can't go wrong...

(or you will regret either way, since you'll always feel you are letting go of a great opportunity.:D )

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I will take it all into consideration and hopefully I can decide really soon.

UCLA is a great place to be. We have some great professors here. Plus, I think quality of life in West LA beats SF any day of the week.

In the end though, it doesn't really matter. You can't do wrong going to either one.

Last night I sat down and did a pros and cons list and I think it might be helpful. I need to decided by Friday which school to go to. I have always been leaning towards UCLA and today I am going to make up my decision...I hope. Oh, these are just my feelings on things, not absolute set in stone facts.(I also went to undergrad at UCLA)

Research: UCLA=UCSF (they both have enough money where if a students wants to do research he/she can)

Clinical: UCLA -the different D years work with each other. Its called a group practice model. My friend that goes to UCLA says it makes the clinic way better. UCSF has better patient pool. Toss up for me

ISO: UCSF has 2 half days a week, UCLA does not..more time for research, etc.

Specializing: UCLA = UCSF

Weather: I am a SoCal guy..I need my sunshine and Vitamin D (UCLA wins by far in this category)

Sports Teams: I love my Bruins...Can watch Basketball and Football if I have time. UCSF has nothing in this department

1st summer: UCSF has off UCLA does not
(then again is it better to be in school or have time off?...hmmm)

Pass/Fail: UCSF has a real pass fail UCLA is a modified grading system

Transportation: UCLA has traffic. But if you live on a bus line, your totally fine, if not get a car and wake up earlier cause traffic blows. UCSF has an up

Tuition cost: UCLA = UCSF (its state school, the difference is nothing compared to what we are going to spend)

Prestige: I have asked about 5 established dentist (both general and specialized) which school they think is "better"... all answered UCLA. THis is important because when you need a job out of school you have an up.

Social Life: Since I was there for undergrad. Most of my friends live in LA. Better for me(thats a personal one)

Gut: Tells me UCLA...

So as you can its pretty split. My guess, I will most likely end up at UCLA. I feel like wherever we end up, we will be fine and have all the opportunities available to us. Even being informed with everything possible, no one can really tell which school is better for them without actually going to that school. Good luck to all in their decisions.

Specializing: UCLA = UCSF

I don't agree with that. I've been told ~50% of UCLA students get into true specialties and ~25% get into GPR/AEGD. I think last year 21-23 UCLA students got into ortho. UCSF: ~10% get into true specialties and ~20% get into GPR/AEGD.

Pass/Fail: UCSF has a real pass fail UCLA is a modified grading system

I don't agree with this either. I believe UCSF gives HP/P/NP. UCLA gives EPR/P/MP/NP but EPRs don't show up on transcript. I don't think many UCLA students get MPs and NPs.

In my view both schools are excellent. You can't go wrong with either one. In the end, it comes down to which city you want to live in. For me, it was SF. If anyone picks UCLA instead, I'd say you made a great decision.