UCLA Question on Acceptance!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L8DYV

refreshing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview at UCLA on March 6th and my interviewers told me that they are delighted to welcome me to the class and they'll see me the fall. I take that as an acceptance? What do you think? Does UCLA or other schools do this? Can they do this before the adcom meeting? Thanks.

:confused: :)

Members don't see this ad.

L8DYV said:
I had an interview at UCLA on March 6th and my interviewers told me that they are delighted to welcome me to the class and they'll see me the fall. I take that as an acceptance? What do you think? Does UCLA or other schools do this? Can they do this before the adcom meeting? Thanks.

:confused: :)

Why can't they? It's after Dec 1st.

they said the same thing to me, so you're in. congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
amazing! They made me wait over 2 weeks. boo hoo
Actually, one of my interviewers told me during my interview that I would be a "shoo in" to UCLA...I didn't take it as meaning anything.

Wow congratulations. I interviewed on March 6th but I never got that type of response from my interviewer, only my student interviewer. I think you're in because the interviewer makes the final decision on your application.

But then again, the person we had as our interviewer was a bit tougher I thought.

Mrxle3 said:
But then again, the person we had as our interviewer was a bit tougher I thought.

Dr. Marcus was a little stern. I should have reached out to shake his hand...I know that would have been the deal maker!

EyeAmCommi said:
Dr. Marcus was a little stern. I should have reached out to shake his hand...I know that would have been the deal maker!

I think you will be okay handshake or not. We just have to wait for that call to be sure. :)

Mrxle3 said:
Are you Lauren?

Wrong spelling, but yes.

Congrats. Welcome to an awesome place.

I love UCLA everyday, no matter how it goes. The only complain I have is that I wish I have more energy, alertness, and time to be doing all the things that I want to do but can't get to. It's been 30 min. on SDN already, I got to get off and go study.

EyeAmCommi said:

I had Dr. Marcus as my interviewer. He seemed a little intimidating but it all worked out in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mrxle3 said:

Wait, aren't you going to UCSF?

I just had my UCLA interview.

kiggar4l2000 said:
Wait, aren't you going to UCSF?

Looks like UCLA is good at attracting UCSF students. :) Last year when I 1st looked at UCSF AA avg on its web site it was 21.X. By September of 05 the avg went down to 20.3*. I looked at previous years' stats, it looks like by Sept of each year UCSF avg goes down until it stabalizes ~20.

*: http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/admissions/admiss_program1-stats.html

P.S. Mitosis, congrats for the acceptance. L8DYV, it looks like you're in. Congrats to you too. And best wishes for everyone.

Wow...looks like you're in too L8DYV!! =) Congrats to those getting in. Your patience has been tested, and now the reward comes, it's like WEE WEEE AND YAY YAY...and yah...however-you-want-to-CELEBRATE kind of thing. ;)

Good Job! (when is the last UCLA interview...anyone know?) About how full is the class now? ...Dat_student...seems like you might have some guess on this. :)

mkdhappy said:
Wow...looks like you're in too L8DYV!! =) Congrats to those getting in. Your patience has been tested, and now the reward comes, it's like WEE WEEE AND YAY YAY...and yah...however-you-want-to-CELEBRATE kind of thing. ;)

Good Job! (when is the last UCLA interview...anyone know?) About how full is the class now? ...Dat_student...seems like you might have some guess on this. :)

;)
Current UCLA students (e.g. DrHobie) probably can answer that question. I doubt the class will be full by the end of March. UCLA has a very long & slow process to select students.

mkdhappy said:

I was told during my interview that the class was about 68 full and Noemi said the there may be a few more weeks of interviews to go. Thanks for the welcome! I'm still waiting ever so patiently for that call though. hehe.

dat_student said:
Looks like UCLA is good at attracting UCSF students. :) Last year when I 1st looked at UCSF AA avg on its web site it was 21.X. By September of 05 the avg went down to 20.3*. I looked at previous years' stats, it looks like by Sept of each year UCSF avg goes down until it stabalizes ~20.

*: http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/admissions/admiss_program1-stats.html

P.S. Mitosis, congrats for the acceptance. L8DYV, it looks like you're in. Congrats to you too. And best wishes for everyone.

Currently admitted students to the UCSF's c/o 2010:

Female 51
Male 29

should have gone to the other uc!
:) :) :)

howui3 said:

Female 51
Male 29

Good point. Interesting! That's the exact ratio they had last year (i.e. c/o 2009)
as of sept of 05:
http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/admissions/admiss_program1-stats.html

I wonder why UCSF prefers to have a 2 (f):1(m) ratio. :)

P.S. howui3, I'd still say you made the right decision. UCLA is a little better in my opinion. congrats for the acceptance. you deserve it.

dat_student said:
Good point. Interesting! That's the exact ratio they had last year (i.e. c/o 2009)
as of sept of 05:
http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/admissions/admiss_program1-stats.html

I wonder why UCSF prefers to have a 2 (f):1(m) ratio. :)

P.S. howui3, I'd still say you made the right decision. UCLA is a little better in my opinion. congrats for the acceptance. you deserve it.

Thanks!

Have you decided where you are going next year?

howui3 said:
Thanks!

Have you decided where you are going next year?

Yes, I just sent you a private message. :)

howui3 said:

Female 51
Male 29

wait, where did you get those figures? not that i'm complaining. hehe

dat_student said:
Yes, I just sent you a private message. :)

Hey, not fair! I want a private message from dat_student too! :D

mitosis said:
Hey, not fair! I want a private message from dat_student too! :D

ok, I just sent you a private message. :) Again, congrats for the acceptance.

Hi Mitosis, I know we were both waiting for a call last week...It's good to hear you got accepted, congrats on a job well done...I got the calll last week also and now I have to decide between UCSF and UCLA....We'll see what happens...to be continued.....

how hard is it to get in to the UCs as a Canadian. I imagine that it would be VERY difficult. Do they take any?

I'm asking in case I decide to reapply next year. Not sure how things will shape up.

teethextraction said:
Hi Mitosis, I know we were both waiting for a call last week...It's good to hear you got accepted, congrats on a job well done...I got the calll last week also and now I have to decide between UCSF and UCLA....We'll see what happens...to be continued.....

That should be an easy decision!

teethextraction said:

Go to http://www.predents.com and pick the school with the better stats. Higher caliber students are attracted to certain schools for a reason. I'd personally choose the school with the better stats and match rates.

Audio said:
how hard is it to get in to the UCs as a Canadian. I imagine that it would be VERY difficult. Do they take any?

I'm asking in case I decide to reapply next year. Not sure how things will shape up.

Impossible to get into UCLA because it doesn't accept international students. Very possible to get into UCSF as long as your stats are at or above its averages. When I interviewed at UCSF I saw an interviewee from Canada. UCSF's averages aren't as high as UPENN's and UCLA's averages ( see http://www.predents.com ). So I think you have a chance to get into UCSF but no chance to get into UCLA. UPENN is a great school. Congrats for the acceptance.

not everyone choose a school based on their stats. many other people chose thier school based on proximity, cost, environment, curriculum, etc..

teethextraction said:

Congrats teethextraction! I hope to see you at UCLA this fall - what day did you interview? Congrats on getting accepted to both schools - I don't think that you can go wrong with either one. I think it comes down to whether you want to live in LA or SF. If you really can't decide, perhaps you can visit the schools again to try to get a final "feel." I did that with some of the schools.

Hi Mitosis,

I interviewed on Feb. 17,,,but yeah, I may have to visit each school again before I make my decision,,,there are adv. and disadv. to both schools which is why this decision is difficult...did you also interview at UCSF? Oh yeah, what day did you interview at UCLA? alright, if I decide on UCLA, I'll see you there!

teethextraction said:
Hi Mitosis,

I interviewed on Feb. 17,,,but yeah, I may have to visit each school again before I make my decision,,,there are adv. and disadv. to both schools which is why this decision is difficult...did you also interview at UCSF? Oh yeah, what day did you interview at UCLA? alright, if I decide on UCLA, I'll see you there!

I'll send you a private message

Audio said:

I'm not quite sure - the best thing to do is to e-mail Noemi at UCLA - I'm sure you have great stats as you have gotten into Penn...

Audio said:

I know you're not serious, but in case someone is interested...

From UCSF's website: ... chances for acceptance by the School of Dentistry are slim. Foreign students who are not permanent residents of the United States should not apply unless they have superior qualifications...

There's one international student in class of 2009. As you imagine, she is super talented, in science, hand-eye skills and personality.