UCLA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference bw UCLA geffen, UCLA Prime, and UCLA Drew?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference bw UCLA geffen, UCLA Prime, and UCLA Drew?

All I understand of it is that Geffen is what most people think of when they think UCLA, and Drew spend 2 years of preclinical with Geffen and then do their own clinical rotations.

It would be awesome if people attending these talked about the substantive differences. Like, is the quality of the clinical rotations at Drew the same as those at Geffen? What degree are the Prime people getting exactly and why is this better than just doing an MD/MPH?

Hey, I was accepted to both Geffen and Drew and can give you some perspective on them.

Geffen = the regular 4 year MD program at UCLA. You do your 2 years and then rotate through all the UCLA affiliated Hospitals. Your degree comes from just UCLA.

Drew = 4 year program that focuses on the medically underserved. The idea is to train physicians who will want to practice in and serve underserved communities. You do the 2 pre-clinical years with the Geffen kids and then rotate at the UCLA hospitals that have a primarily underserved propulation (such as UCLA-Harbor) but you also have the option of rotating at the other UCLA affiliated hospitals as well. Drew students USED to do their rotations at MLK but the hospital lost its teaching accreditation. You also have to do a senior project (thesis) that focuses on the underserved to graduate. Your degree comes from both Drew and UCLA.

Prime = 5 year program that focuses on the medically underserved. You do the 4 year Geffen program and then take a fifth year to do an MBA, MPH, MA, etc.. that focuses somehow on the medically underserved. The idea is to train leaders in health policy, health economics, health disparities, etc.. that will go on to focus on underserved communities. I believe you might get some special funding for this fifth year (which I would be very attractive I would imagine).

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was accepted to both Geffen and Drew and can give you some perspective on them.

Geffen = the regular 4 year MD program at UCLA. You do your 2 years and then rotate through all the UCLA affiliated Hospitals. Your degree comes from just UCLA.

Drew = 4 year program that focuses on the medically underserved. The idea is to train physicians who will want to practice in and serve underserved communities. You do the 2 pre-clinical years with the Geffen kids and then rotate at the UCLA hospitals that have a primarily underserved propulation (such as UCLA-Harbor) but you also have the option of rotating at the other UCLA affiliated hospitals as well. Drew students USED to do their rotations at MLK but the hospital lost its teaching accreditation. You also have to do a senior project (thesis) that focuses on the underserved to graduate. Your degree comes from both Drew and UCLA.

Prime = 5 year program that focuses on the medically underserved. You do the 4 year Geffen program and then take a fifth year to do an MBA, MPH, MA, etc.. that focuses somehow on the medically underserved. The idea is to train leaders in health policy, health economics, health disparities, etc.. that will go on to focus on underserved communities. I believe you might get some special funding for this fifth year (which I would be very attractive I would imagine).

Hope that helps!
thanks!!!1

So Drew and prime seem to be more focused for URMs and Disadvantaged applicants...or is this an incorrect assumption?

thanks!!!1

So Drew and prime seem to be more focused for URMs and Disadvantaged applicants...or is this an incorrect assumption?

Not necessarily. They focus on people who are passionate to work in underserved communities. They really weigh your experiences (of all sorts) with these communities. They want people (regardless of race) that want to work to improve these communities. That said, in my experiences it seems like the majority of the people that are attracted to these two programs happen to be URM or disadvantaged and want to "give back" to their communities. But I have seen many non URM individuals at the Drew interview. I think its mainly about your passion and your experiences.

Not necessarily. They focus on people who are passionate to work in underserved communities. They really weigh your experiences (of all sorts) with these communities. They want people (regardless of race) that want to work to improve these communities. That said, in my experiences it seems like the majority of the people that are attracted to these two programs happen to be URM or disadvantaged and want to "give back" to their communities. But I have seen many non URM individuals at the Drew interview. I think its mainly about your passion and your experiences.
awesome...thanks

thanks!!!1

To add to MsJ's usual awesome and informative reply, I found that a lot fo the Drew students (and, to and extent, the PRIME students) were interested in global and international health care as well. I met one first year that has established an organization that solicits medical equipment donations and then travels to countries such as Hati to set up clinics. Another first year was focusing early on surgery and plans to travel to Africa as a part of Doctors Without Boarders. And there was one individual that aspired to do medical mission work in rural China and Burma where his family is from. So the possibilities are endless. They give you the tools, but it is ultimately your decision as to what you make of it.

If you're thinking of applying to any of the UCLA programs and have more questions, check out http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/prospective/ and feel free to PM me. Best of luck!

not much to add given the excellent responses..but all the UC's have a PRIME program fyi, usually with a specific community focus, if you are interested in that...

UC Davis: Rural-Prime (for rural underserved)
UCI: Prime-LC (Latino Communities)
UCSF: Prime-Urban Underserved
UCSD: (not sure what they call it) haha...sorry!

all of these are 5-year dual degree progs where you get a masters after your third year in med school, and then the school pays for the fifth year

yep, everyone above pretty much summed it all up.

at ucsd, its called prime (which means 'program in medical education')-health equity.

and as mimivirus said, the programs pay for the fifth year!! and another difference is that the masters is more focused on health disparities, changing the healthcare system, along those lines.

the ethnic composition of this year's ucla prime class is very diverse. during my interview for prime, it was the same. and at drew too. the class is really small too. prime and drew only accept 18 and 24 students, respectively.

if you have an interest and the experiences, definitely apply to all three programs at ucla!! good luck.

Hey! Great info!! For the non-UCLA Primes, do we have to apply separately? b/c there is no option on the AMCAS, as there is for UCLA's PRIME. How do the other PRIME application processes work? Thanks!