UCLA Ronald Reagan Olive View EM Leadership Team - Ask Us Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLA_RROV

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
We are the UCLA RR-OV EM Residency Leadership Team and are here to answer any/all of your questions about our program, fellowships, EM, the application process, the interview season, LA, anything! Ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

If we are reapplicants and are doing a TY..Given covid and we are not allowed to rotate in another hospital ... can our SLOE come from the ED at our hospital even if there is no EM residency?

Is EM still the red-headed step child of the department of medicine or have you finally broken free? Why do some of your graduates suggest that the only real EM they experience there is at Antelope Valley? Are shifts at the big house still "consult everybody for the affected body system?" Why would I choose your program over USC or Harbor?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Dennis is a$$hole. Why Charlie hate?

Reactions: 1 users
If we are reapplicants and are doing a TY..Given covid and we are not allowed to rotate in another hospital ... can our SLOE come from the ED at our hospital even if there is no EM residency?

Yes! Your SLOE can come from your ED at your hospital even if there is no EM residency. We receive these every year. CORD has a template on their website for this particular type of SLOE here. They also include instructions for the applicant to give to the faculty they wish to get a SLOE from, here. Hope that helps!

Is EM still the red-headed step child of the department of medicine or have you finally broken free? Why do some of your graduates suggest that the only real EM they experience there is at Antelope Valley? Are shifts at the big house still "consult everybody for the affected body system?" Why would I choose your program over USC or Harbor?

Our program has been training leaders in EM since 1979. The Department of EM was established in 2016 and encompasses a number of sites, including Ronald Reagan-UCLA, Olive View-UCLA, Harbor-UCLA, the VA, and Kern.

We are fortunate to be the only EM training program in Los Angeles that has residents working at a major university academic center, which provides them with the opportunity to learn how to take care of this complicated patient population. Our residents work alongside our accomplished EM faculty while also having the opportunity to learn from our amazing colleagues in all other specialties of medicine at UCLA.

In addition, we have the privilege of working with the underserved populations at Olive View UCLA Medical Center, our county site in Sylmar. Antelope Valley Hospital also provides a fantastic community experience for our residents as one of busiest emergency departments in the state.

We are very proud of our tradition of training highly knowledgeable and excellent clinicians with experience in a wide variety of clinical settings, and our residents have gone on to be leaders in all facets of emergency medicine, in both the community and academic settings. We are very excited to welcome applicants to our residency family and carry on the strong tradition of UCLA Emergency Medicine in this upcoming season!

• Okay...
Our program has been training leaders in EM since 1979. The Department of EM was established in 2016 and encompasses a number of sites, including Ronald Reagan-UCLA, Olive View-UCLA, Harbor-UCLA, the VA, and Kern.

We are fortunate to be the only EM training program in Los Angeles that has residents working at a major university academic center, which provides them with the opportunity to learn how to take care of this complicated patient population. Our residents work alongside our accomplished EM faculty while also having the opportunity to learn from our amazing colleagues in all other specialties of medicine at UCLA.

In addition, we have the privilege of working with the underserved populations at Olive View UCLA Medical Center, our county site in Sylmar. Antelope Valley Hospital also provides a fantastic community experience for our residents as one of busiest emergency departments in the state.

We are very proud of our tradition of training highly knowledgeable and excellent clinicians with experience in a wide variety of clinical settings, and our residents have gone on to be leaders in all facets of emergency medicine, in both the community and academic settings. We are very excited to welcome applicants to our residency family and carry on the strong tradition of UCLA Emergency Medicine in this upcoming season!

Are you hiring academic faculty?

Yes! Your SLOE can come from your ED at your hospital even if there is no EM residency. We receive these every year. CORD has a template on their website for this particular type of SLOE here. They also include instructions for the applicant to give to the faculty they wish to get a SLOE from, here. Hope that helps!
Great thank you

Amazing how you can write four long paragraphs and say absolutely nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Amazing how you can write four long paragraphs and say absolutely nothing.

Exactly my thoughts! And exactly why I asked those questions. A lot of hot air going around at that program from what I hear.

But you know... "they train leaders"

Whatever that means!

Exactly my thoughts! And exactly why I asked those questions. A lot of hot air going around at that program from what I hear.

But you know... "they train leaders"

Whatever that means!

I trained at a different LA program, but UCLA OV has a good reputation and is one of the oldest programs in the country. I'm not sure what your problem with them is or what they've done to you.

Reactions: 2 users

1. EM is its own department now
2. Because AV is awesome and the residents get a ton of procedural experience there (including some wild stuff like stellate ganglion blocks for refractory VF and burr holes), hence residents talk about it a lot
3. The "big house" is UCLA-Ronald Reagan, and as a quaternary care big shot academic center, yes there's still a lot of consulting. But that's life in academics most places. Do you want to manage a sick, rejecting liver/kidney transplant patient without any help?
4. It's a very different program from USC and Harbor. Hard to even directly answer that one. Ask a more specific question and you'll get a more specific answer.

^is that better?

Members don't see this ad :)

More broadly...this is why there’s many different models of EM residency and why different people chose different styles.

If you wanna be a county cowboy, doing things that may not be EBM but having a lot of clinical freedom go to a county program like USC or Harbor.

If you wanna be an academic EM person, maybe do something like CCM, or develop a niche in an area that requires big academic resources...well you’ve gotta go to a big academic ivory tower like UCLA Regan, or Stanford.

If you wanna learn how to be an ultra-efficient community doc, then go to an ultra-efficient community residency (not sure any of the LA programs really fit this bill...maybe irvine?)

Or pick a program that splits their time between a few sites so you get Broader exposure.

It’s not unreasonable to want something different than what their program offers, but to insinuate that the program is inferior simply because they don’t fit your mold of what you’d like out of a residency is short sighted.

Do you acknowledge that prestige locks out DOs from your program (I see one DO on the roster list) and if not what excuse do you have for not treating all-star DO applicants equitably?

Royally disappointed in the way this group is acting.

This is an incredibly difficult cycle both for medical students and programs alike. Opening a dialogue is a service to those who are currently riding into this cycle blind.

Sure we can argue the predatory nature and quality training being produced at CMG sites is relevant, I get that... BUT the need to **** on a well-respected, old ED program who has trained and facilitated numerous EM heroes? A program that has contributed a stupid amount of ED literature which is practice driving to this day? That I don't understand.

Thanks Olive view for giving our applicants another avenue to learn and navigate such a stressful time.

• Dislike
Have to agree. In a cycle where applicants will be starved to find out as much information as possible about programs in the absence of in-person interviews, we want SDN to be a place where programs feel that they can come interact with the medical students.

Frankly, both parties will flee to places like reddit if this is how we act.

Do you acknowledge that prestige locks out DOs from your program (I see one DO on the roster list) and if not what excuse do you have for not treating all-star DO applicants equitably?
Probably the **** clerkships?

If you wanna learn how to be an ultra-efficient community doc, then go to an ultra-efficient community residency (not sure any of the LA programs really fit this bill...maybe irvine?)

The way you get to be an 'ultra efficient' community doc is by going to a busy residency, then working and seeing a ton of stuff. There are no magic community secrets to 'ultra efficiency'. The way to get faster is to know more, know exactly what you're doing with patients and exactly where they're going and how to get them there quickly, and have a good sense of who is sick and needs workup vs who is not sick and can just go ASAP. It frustrates me when a junior learner wants to work on 'flow' or 'efficiency' but clearly hasn't put in the time outside of work to learn core EM.

I'd actually argue that of the LA programs, UCLA RR-OV encourages/trains the most when it comes to efficiency, since UCLA RR is very invested in efficiency, esp given how physically small the ED is compared to the rest of the hospital. Because UCLA residents work in a county shop, academic shop, and community shop, they get a good sense of how to practice in all settings, and UCLA residents have that reputation when out working. County, by nature of county, is harder to learn efficiency in.

On the note of county - Olive View, of the county programs in LA, has less consultants and resources and often times has to transfer patients (once they're been dispo'ed and treated appropriately by the ED) to other county/academic hospitals, what you'd see more in community/rural shops, so OV is great training in that way.

At UCLA - RR - Patients are sick, and medically complex, and you get great teaching from very experienced faculty who are leaders in education in their field, and fantastic consultants who are also leaders in their field. Yes, you consult other services, but it's not because you're punting, but because you're needing to dispo your patients to them. Also, wouldn't you want to learn from leaders in their field so that you know how to manage these type of patients when they fall in your lap and you don't have the experts? Residency is the time to learn how to do it. Our job is to learn how to become great resusitationists, and that isn't taken away by consulting services when you're done fixing the patient to get them dispo'ed. The off service rotations at UCLA-RR are fantastic for learning as well, and are great training for the interns/2nd years.

Having the plurality of training sites develops very well rounded physicians who thrive in a variety of settings, which actually matters more than you'd expect as a resident.

You also get great access to mentors in pretty much every field of EM, and if they don't have faculty here with it, faculty are happy to connect you with someone who is. Because of how old the program is, there is a long list of alumni who are always happy to help. Here's an example of the great things the program and alumni are doing in their recent newsleter: https://www.emergencymedicine.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/newsletters/EM_Newsletter_Spring_2020.pdf

I'm disappointed in the toxicity of this thread.

• Dislike
What actions did the UCLA EM residency leadership take to counteract the recent bill pushing for nurse practitioner autonomy this past week?

What actions did the UCLA EM residency leadership take to counteract the recent bill pushing for nurse practitioner autonomy this past week?

We have an advocacy committee and have been educating the residency on these issues and asking residents and faculty to advocate. AAEM RSA president goes to residency at UCLA, and has been very active in the subject.

This thread has been reported by several members for incivility.
I am embarrassed on your behalf for the level of childishness on display here.
We are going to wait for the new/old mod to come in here but in the meantime, knock it off.

• Wow
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 3 users
This thread has been reported by several members for incivility.
I am embarrassed on your behalf for the level of childishness on display here.
We are going to wait for the new/old mod to come in here but in the meantime, knock it off.
Y'know, for gyngyn, who is one of the nicest and most polite SDNers out there, to say this, it says a lot about this thread!

Y'know, for gyngyn, who is one of the nicest and most polite SDNers out there, to say this, it says a lot about this thread!

This happens on every thread where someone comes representing a residency program. This thread is actually tame compared to the responses to new residency programs. It's embarrassing.

• Wow