UCLA-VA & Cedars-Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammersmith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These two programs are said to merge in 2006. This should make UCLA-VA a stronger program. Does anyone have any different thoughts on this? Do Cedars-Sinai folks like this? I was at UCLA-VA for my interview and it seemed like a good program.

Members don't see this ad.

hammersmith said:
These two programs are said to merge in 2006. This should make UCLA-VA a stronger program. Does anyone have any different thoughts on this? Do Cedars-Sinai folks like this? I was at UCLA-VA for my interview and it seemed like a good program.

I think the merger makes both programs a lot stronger.
- It doubles the number of fellowships available for the residents.
- It doubles the number of big-name connections available for the residents.
- It gives Cedars Sinai residents the opportunity to work with academic/non-private attendings.
- It should also increase research time for Cedars residents (since they give the VA residents so much research time.)
- It helps broaden out the experiences for the VA residents.
I think it's a win-win situation for both programs. Surprising though that the VA didn't fill last year.

scrub monkey said:
Surprising though that the VA didn't fill last year.

This question came up during my interview. The PD said that they didn't rank all the candidates that they interviewed last year. Their motto is, don't rank the ones you don't want to work with, even if they may end up not filling up.