UCLA vs Columbia vs MCG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexi517

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have been accepted to dental school at UCLA, Columbia and MCG (my state school). I am having trouble with this decision. MCG is much cheaper but I don't want to spend 4+ years in Augusta, GA. UCLA and Columbia seem to have better programs and opportunities to specialize. Any thoughts/opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Greetings! I am also a GA resident and got accepted to MCG this cycle. For the same reason, I wanted to go OOS (in my case UAB or Maryland). BUT I am like 98% sure I will be attending MCG because of the super duper cheap cost and the scholarship they recently offered me. If money is not an issue, I would go OOS! Just my 2 cents ;)

You will always be able to specialize in any school, just do well and earn high marks on your ADAT. Additionally, you might not even end up specializing, attend the cheaper school!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will always be able to specialize in any school, just do well and earn high marks on your ADAT. Additionally, you might not even end up specializing, attend the cheaper school!
Easier said than done. With dental school you're taking a collection of high caliber students and forcing a grade distribution. Plenty of smart, hardworking people won't be getting "high marks". At the same time, paying back huge loans isn't as easy as people like to think.

Take your mental health into account. Is spending 4 years in Augusta such an awful idea that you'd be willing to pay a massive sum to avoid it?

Reactions: 1 user
Would rather live in Southern California or Manhatten?

You could go to the Masters 4 years in a row!!

Although the state school is cheaper, where would you feel happier at? Like BYU4you mentioned earlier, where would you want/enjoy to live for those four years? Also how much debt can you handle?

It is hard to select.

Last edited:
Yes, please go to Manhattan so that for the sake of your happiness during those "4 years", you could spend next 20 working somewhere more rural than Augusta.

Go to the cheapest school possible that is closest to family/friends. For you, that'll be MCG. Going to UCLA ($280,000? after COL) or Columbia ($400,000? after COL) is just wasteful. I used to fawn over the big names schools, but you'll come to realize it doesn't matter as much as great numbers.

This is the key to your success: limit debt, rank in upper third of your class, score high on that new specialization test.

I've volunteered at a free clinic where MCG students did their rotations (externship?). They did all kind of procedures snd were very good at all of them. I've been to Augusta once and know what you are talking about. But consider the cost and how much financial stress you are saving yourself from and go to MCG. Older you will thank you dearly for the wisdom.