UCLA vs. Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLA vs. Mayo

• UCLA

Votes: 97 56.1%
  • Mayo

Votes: 75 43.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nojdog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was set on attending UCLA until a phone call from Mayo a few days ago saying they accepted me. Mayo will be about half the price, but I am impressed with what I know about UCLA's curriculum (block schedule, less class time, etc.) Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

nojdog said:
I was set on attending UCLA until a phone call from Mayo a few days ago saying they accepted me. Mayo will be about half the price, but I am impressed with what I know about UCLA's curriculum (block schedule, less class time, etc.) Any help?

chocolate mousse cake or strawberry cheesecake

I just can't make up my mind :(

that's a toughie. mayo is so prestigious. but don't you think it'll be kinda depressing? 10 feet of snow...underground...middle of f-ing nowhere...only 42 other students in your class...

i mean, it'll probably be an amazing learning experience. but UCLA is a great school, and it's freakin CALIFORNIA!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Goin' Goin' BACK BACK to Cali, Cali

Live it up in Cali dude. Minnesota is depressing. The $ is an issue for sure, but personally, I'd pick Cali. :cool:

thankfully our new curriculum at Mayo is block...its gonna be sweet apparently lecture is getting cut down by 1/3 to give us some more free time to relax and shadow in the clinic...that said I will admit my biggest reservation about Mayo is the social scene...you really can't make a bad decision here...if you want some more info on Mayo and this years incoming class feel free to PM, it sounds like it will be a great albeit very small group.

I know I can probably look this up somewhere, but can you guys give an appx class size for each school? thanks in advance.

Thanks for the responses. As for the social scene, I am married, so dating is a non-issue.
Mayo=about 40 students
UCLA=about 160 students

I just want to clarify something. Minnesota is awesome. The Twin Cities have tons of theaters, music venues, clubs, etc. Rochester is a different story. All that is in Rochester is the Mayo Clinic and IBM. The people I know who go to Mayo are so enthusiastic about it, though, that they say they would go there even if it were in Antarctica. I think you would get a top notch education at Mayo, but I think you have to decide which location fits you best. UCLA and Mayo are about as polar opposite in terms of location as you can get.

P.S. I got waitlisted at Mayo, but ultimately I decided to withdraw from the waitlist because I don't think I could live in as small a town as Rochester for 4 years and be happy. I just felt like med school would be my entire life there and there would be little opportunity to see a diverse patient population. Just my thoughts... Good luck with your decision!

Nojdog, where are you from? If you are from Cali and need a change of scene, go for Mayo. The $ factor and prestige of the school is hard to pass up! But if you're from middle of nowhere and would like a couple of years in Cali, I think that's a great choice. You have more classmates there which is nice too. I don't think I'm going to apply to schools that have class size that's lower than 70. just my personal preference.

nycpizza said:
I'm Goin' Goin' BACK BACK to Cali, Cali

Live it up in Cali dude. Minnesota is depressing. The $ is an issue for sure, but personally, I'd pick Cali. :cool:
I resent that!! Jk, you just have to learn to love the snow. Rochester ain't so bad, at least they got hills to block the wind. I live near fargo where it's flat as a board. The snow ain't bad, it's the wind that gets ya.

Oh yah, and I'd definately choose Mayo, but that's just cuz its in state for me.

Salt Lake City, UT is my hometown...So either city would be a change of scene. Rochester, a smaller change of scene, and LA an obviously much bigger one. We're used to snow here, but then again, you don't shovel sunshine!

MNsocsci said:
P.S. I got waitlisted at Mayo, but ultimately I decided to withdraw from the waitlist because I don't think I could live in as small a town as Rochester for 4 years and be happy. I just felt like med school would be my entire life there and there would be little opportunity to see a diverse patient population. Just my thoughts... Good luck with your decision!

can't you spend alot of that time (years 3 and 4) in scottsdale or jacksonville? I mean it aint Westwood, but those aren't bad places to spend a winter.

govikings10 said:
I resent that!! Jk, you just have to learn to love the snow. Rochester ain't so bad, at least they got hills to block the wind. I live near fargo where it's flat as a board. The snow ain't bad, it's the wind that gets ya.

Oh yah, and I'd definately choose Mayo, but that's just cuz its in state for me.

hehe. 'Fargo' was a great movie btw... "land of Paul Bunyan!" :p

Yeah, I guess a big factor is .. what kind of weather do you want?

Members don't see this ad :)
can't believe i just voted UCLA, cuz if you accept a spot there that's one less spot for me, but *shrug* that's where i'd go, and best of luck to ya!! :luck:

oh, and sorry, i actually don't know anything about mayo, so i wouldn't take my opinion very seriously, heh.

nycpizza said:
hehe. 'Fargo' was a great movie btw... "land of Paul Bunyan!" :p

Yeah, I guess a big factor is .. what kind of weather do you want?

I hate that movie soo much. Whenever I tell someone I'm from near fargo, that's the first thing that comes up, along with questions if everyone talks like that up here. Norweigen accent = way overdone.

govikings10 said:
I hate that movie soo much. Whenever I tell someone I'm from near fargo, that's the first thing that comes up, along with questions if everyone talks like that up here. Norweigen accent = way overdone.

Yeah, everyone thinks the accents was waaaaaaaaay overcooked, but I love the character of Margie. I thought Frances McDormand was just fantastic as an actress in that movie. The characters really got me.

quantummechanic said:
can't you spend alot of that time (years 3 and 4) in scottsdale or jacksonville? I mean it aint Westwood, but those aren't bad places to spend a winter.
I think you can spend 6 and sometimes 12 weeks in either Scottsdale or Jacksonville. But I understand that those spots become more competitive in the winter. :)

BTW, I forgot to congratulate you! :thumbup:

Both are amazing schools, well done, well done.

nojdog said:
I think you can spend 6 and sometimes 12 weeks in either Scottsdale or Jacksonville. But I understand that those spots become more competitive in the winter. :)

A 4th year this year spent her entire last year in Scottsdale...I think the only competition is for the fellowship that pays for your living expenses for the time you are completing your rotation down south, but come on its Mayo there is no shortage of funds so I'm sure they will work with folks.

govikings10 said:

you've never met some members of my family from northern Minnesota :laugh:

snobored18 said:
A 4th year this year spent her entire last year in Scottsdale...I think the only competition is for the fellowship that pays for your living expenses for the time you are completing your rotation down south, but come on its Mayo there is no shortage of funds so I'm sure they will work with folks.
Snobored18, so if you're willing to pay living expenses, what are the limitations on doing rotations at one of the sattelite locations?

As you can probably tell by my signature, I'm going to be at Mayo this next year and I am really excited! I also will be moving from california, although I lived in MN so I know the weather (and no, I agree it's not great.) However, I wouldn't base my decision on weather so much as what you want out of your medical education and who can best give that to you. I didn't apply to UCLA, but I did get into UCSF and decided Mayo was better for me (and my husband too.) I actually LIKE the small class size, as a med student you are treated as part of the clinical team - obviously a student but you are really valued from the beginning. The ratio of physicians to students is insane, and I think that ultimately will lead to more clinical opportunities. There is also ample money - to send you to Africa, do DNA analysis on bacteria, or do your OB-GYN rotation in florida, so that's always a good thing. Also, like was already mentioned, they are also doing an integrated block curriculum starting this year. I definitely factored in cost of living too, not just cost of education. Good luck with your decision and PM me if you have more questions!

I don't see how you could not choose mayo. I'm jealous.

chandelantern said:
I didn't apply to UCLA, but I did get into UCSF and decided Mayo was better for me (and my husband too.)

I definitely factored in cost of living too, not just cost of education. Good luck with your decision and PM me if you have more questions!

so i take it that ucsf doesn't offer subsidized housing?

Go for UCLA!!! The sunshine is great!! Just think about being close to the beach and the Califorian weather.....

Now for the honest part -- as a fellow Salt Lake Resident but a Mayo waitlistee, I am envious of your position. Good Luck with your choice!! It can't be easy, but I REALLY hope to be a replacement for anyone who goes anywhere else!!

Good Luck! :thumbup:

pattayapus said:
can't believe i just voted UCLA, cuz if you accept a spot there that's one less spot for me, but *shrug* that's where i'd go, and best of luck to ya!! :luck:

you're a good person :thumbup:

nojdog said:
nojdog-

It must be a tough decision. Has the poll helped you? Any inclinations? What kind of time does Mayo give you to decide?

newguy357 said:
I don't see how you could not choose mayo. I'm jealous.

agreed! Go to Mayo! who cares about the weather! I'm from Scottsdale, and I'd choose MN! :luck:

Do yourself a favor and go to Mayo. You will see a diverse patient base, and learn to love Minnesota. Learn how to fish, you'll be fine.

pathstudent said:
The Midwest sucks. nuff said.

Minnesota is practically not even in the Midwest. I think it should defect and become a part of Canada. I could also say California really sucked too if I'd based it on the last time I was in Barstow or Fresno.

The "Fargo" accent is pretty off if you ask me. I agree that there's a distinct accent in Northern Minnesota (and Central MN too)--but I've yet to hear them get it right in a movie.

Also, come on, Rochester's in southern Minnesota. The winters are cold but it's not International Falls. (It will never be 60 below.) Maybe once in four years it will be 30 below. It will only occasionally go below zero at all, maybe for a couple days in January or February, at night. Yes I realize this is colder than most places but it's not the frozen arctic tundra. I think the town has skyways too, so you don't have to go outside those days. When it does get really, really cold, you get to participate in the local tradition of enthusiastically rehashing weather lore from winters past. Also, it will toughen you up.

A lot of days in the middle of winter can be quite nice--in the 20s and so. Also, the summers are great, and if you happen to like Bob Dylan, he plays in Rochester almost every year I think!

I'm not sure which one I'd choose though--aren't they both good schools? One big difference is that Mayo has a small class in a pretty small town, so the chances that you'll find a tight-knit group there are higher, if that appeals to you.

HuntinDoc said:
Do yourself a favor and go to Mayo. You will see a diverse patient base, and learn to love Minnesota. Learn how to fish, you'll be fine.

Especially ice fishing. Grab a couple of beers, drill yourself a hole, sit and relax. Catch yourself a nice walleye.

Hey all, thanks so much for all the input. Tough decisions. I'm still in "gathering information" mode, but my wife and I are leaning UCLA. The main factor is having the ability to live a balanced life. I want medicine to be a part of my life, but not my life. It's really important to me to have free time away from the books to spend with my wife and enjoy our experience. I think that would be harder to to in an environment so saturated with medicine as Mayo. I don't know....maybe I'm exaggerating the difference between the two schools as they pertain to that factor, but that's the impression I get talking to students.

Hey nojdog,

I don't know much about Mayo, but I can tell you that UCLA has an extremely relaxed curriculum. It was recently overhauled completely (my class is the third to experience the new curriculum). We have two hours of lecture per day (from 10:00 to 12:00), with two hours of PBL on Mondays and Fridays (8:00 to 10:00). On Tuesday through Thursday, there are afternoon sessions/labs (gross anatomy, histopathology, Doctoring), and these usually end between 3:00 and 4:30. You're done at noon on Monday and Friday (but there is stuff on Monday afternoons starting in Block 4). Anyway, I'm sorry if I've repeated stuff that you already know. I'm 100% happy at UCLA and, although finals are stressful, I feel that I have much more free time than I did during undergrad. Many of my classmates are married (not to each other, haha) and some have children, so it can be done! Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

lingonberry said:
A lot of days in the middle of winter can be quite nice--in the 20s and so.

:laugh: 20 degrees is a nice day in winter? That's still well below freezing.

You couldn't pay me to go to school in California. Mayo is my dream school.

govikings10 said:
Especially ice fishing. Grab a couple of beers, drill yourself a hole, sit and relax. Catch yourself a nice walleye.
As Lewis Black described it "The dumbest thing a man can do. You're essentially sitting in an outhouse, you've cut a hole in the ice and are trying to catch fish you shouldn't eat because anything that's living down there is f--king stupid."

I personally feel UCLA is more "prestigious" since people have brought that up as an issue. But money is a more legitimate concern to me than prestige. But do keep in mind that UCLA gives each of its students a portion to help defray the cost so you may have to wait to see what they offer before you decide.

If all factors were equal, I would choose UCLA simply for the location and the "college" feel. The sports and school spirit can be lots of fun. And don't listen to LA bashers. There are yucky parts, sure, but Los Angeles has lots of really cool parts as well, one of them being the area in which UCLA is located. Santa Monica is sweet--the promenade. The mountains are close by. The beach. The desert. Great shopping and restaurants/museums/theaters everywhere you turn. And you can't beat the weather.

LA and NYC is where it's at. :cool:

I haven't been following the whole thread, but short of tuition issues, family in MN, and a hatred of sunshine, I can't think of any reason why anyone would choose Mayo over UCLA. Wow, I thought the survey was going to be a slaughter, but I suppose Mayo's history really tugs at people.

Los Angeles, sunshine, skiing, beaches, weekend trips to San Diego and Las Vegas, guaranteed match in CA, better research, more prestige among RDs, new hospital.

A few questions for zerOel:
Does RD stand for Resident Director? How do you know UCLA is more prestigeous among them than Mayo?

Maybe the reason people choose Mayo is because some of us just can't stomach the idea of living in LA. There's more to life than beachs, parties and year round warm weather.

zer0el said:
I haven't been following the whole thread, but short of tuition issues, family in MN, and a hatred of sunshine, I can't think of any reason why anyone would choose Mayo over UCLA. Wow, I thought the survey was going to be a slaughter, but I suppose Mayo's history really tugs at people.

Los Angeles, sunshine, skiing, beaches, weekend trips to San Diego and Las Vegas, guaranteed match in CA, better research, more prestige among RDs, new hospital.
UCLA students (or all UC students) are guaranteed a residency match in California?

nojdog said:
UCLA students (or all UC students) are guaranteed a residency match in California?

No, but the odds are pretty good. :thumbup:

UCLAstudent said:
I'm 100% happy at UCLA and, although finals are stressful, I feel that I have much more free time than I did during undergrad.
I :love: UCLA's curriculum!

nojdog said:
Hey all, thanks so much for all the input. Tough decisions. I'm still in "gathering information" mode, but my wife and I are leaning UCLA. The main factor is having the ability to live a balanced life. I want medicine to be a part of my life, but not my life. It's really important to me to have free time away from the books to spend with my wife and enjoy our experience. I think that would be harder to to in an environment so saturated with medicine as Mayo. I don't know....maybe I'm exaggerating the difference between the two schools as they pertain to that factor, but that's the impression I get talking to students.

When Do you have to let them know? (Mayo)

nojdog said:

I went to UCLA for undergrad and I know the type of people who get into the medical school...snobs and some even with connections!!! Definitely not the kind of atmosphere that I want to be in for med school, but it is up to you. Besides, if you're not from southern california, be ware that living in Westwood is ridiculously expensive and gross. Good luck.

Being that I am on the waitlist at Mayo, I would strongly urge you to choose the other school :D