UCLA vs Tulane for pre-med

surfer girl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there - I have been admitted to UCLA and Tulane and I really love both of them! I would definitely be happy in either place, but I am leaning more towards UCLA. That said, I am slightly worried about the differences in pre-med advising, grading, availability for research and clinical opportunities. It sounds like I could get all of these things easily at Tulane but not so much at UCLA. I am a VERY hard worker, and am always very outgoing in class and discussions. I am not afraid to put myself out there and work (I know I will need to do this at either school) but I am hoping someone can tell me if my chances of getting into medical school will be lessened just by the sheer competition of UCLA. Will I ever be able to let my professors get to know me? Is it easier to build relationships with them in the 3rd and 4th year? Can I get the classes I need to graduate in 4 years?

Help!! Any advice either way for me? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The opportunities & advising at both schools are cream of the crop. Are you a Cali resident? If not...you may want to seriously consider Tulane because of financial aid.

Also, a visit to both UCLA & Tulane would help tremendously.

If you can’t make any visits before National Decision Day, attempt to reach out to a student at both schools by email. Find a student who’s majoring in your intended major or taking the track (pre-med, pre-dental, etc...) you’re interested in. Send the student all of your questions/concerns in a professional email and politely ask for a swift response.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!!