Apr 6, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi all,

First time posting on here, so I am sorry if this has already been discussed!

I am a senior graduating this semester from UC Berkeley. I will be ending with a 3.6 GPA with BS in Molecular Bio, but I have not yet finished all the pre-reqs for dental school and would also like to increase the GPA before I apply.

I am looking into either UC Berkeley or UCLA Pre-health postbacc. I was originally going to just stick with UCB because that is what I am familiar with. I am from SoCal though and would much rather prefer to stay here, which is why I am considering UCLA's.

For the most part I understand the gist of each program. They are both more DIY which I appreciate, and I understand that UCLA is more expensive than Berkeley's (if I decide to do the certificate program rather than a la carte). I would like to know if one program is better than the other? Or if anyone has any experience at one of them?

Thank you :)

PerioDont

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
don't really need to increase your GPA. stay at Berkeley. See if you can avoid graduating this semester and just knock out pre-reqs. How many do you have? can you finish them over the summer?

at least at my university once you graduated, they started charging you more $$ per credit hour than when you were in undergrad. So delay graduation and just finish your classes. Or go back home to SoCal and go to one of the CSU campuses. You don't need a full degree just pre-req courses, look into the cheapest option to get those classes done in a setting you can excel in.

Reactions: 1 users

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
don't really need to increase your GPA. stay at Berkeley. See if you can avoid graduating this semester and just knock out pre-reqs. How many do you have? can you finish them over the summer?

at least at my university once you graduated, they started charging you more $$ per credit hour than when you were in undergrad. So delay graduation and just finish your classes. Or go back home to SoCal and go to one of the CSU campuses. You don't need a full degree just pre-req courses, look into the cheapest option to get those classes done in a setting you can excel in.
What @PerioDont said. cheaper if you stay longer as undergrad. Once you are out, way more expensive. UCLA Extensions were more affordable back then.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Jul 3, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
look more into the ucla program, i believe they only accept disadvantaged students

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.