UCLA vs UC Davis vs UC Merced for PREMED

I'd go with Merced. Frankly, if you're good enough to get into UCLA then you'll probably be towards the top of the curve at Merced. I've seen no evidence that the "prestige" of UCLA is beneficial in any sort of tangible way to medical school applicants.

Also, all of the UCs have plenty of research to go around. There's going to be less variety sure, and you may not get something medically-related. But all of that is secondary (tertiary really) to your academic success.
ahahahahahaha

Members don't see this ad.

Why comment on this? The OP has made his decision since May 1st has passed.
No, please. More vapid unsubstantiated snark. That's what this thread was missing.

Members don't see this ad :)
ahahahahahaha
I know. Like I said, don't listen to pre-meds giving advice. They have the arrogance of thinking they are doctors with none of the actual knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user
UC MERCED WITHOUT A QUESTION! NEW FACULTY.... NEW BUILDINGS AND FACILITIES.... SMALLER CLASSES and MORE ONE ON ONE WITH YOUR PROFESSORS... MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR RESEARCH AND GETTING CONNECTIONS... I'm telling you...

I met a few folks on the interview trail for Merced. Merced is gonna make a come up!

Well, looks like everybody else is agreeing with UCLA being a no-brainer decision. I'm betting ZedsDed just had a bad experience at UCLA and is trying to push the school down because of it. Anyways, I'm moving on.
Probably had a bad experience with UCLA's admissions staff...

Go to a less competitive undergrad...

You will thank me in the years to come.

I'm curious if he made the right choice and went to UCLA.

Currently senior in hs, deciding between LA, Davis, and Merced for undergrad

I have full rides at UCLA and UC Merced. At Davis I'll be paying around 6k per year, most likely through working. I also got into the Honors Program at Davis, which offers several perks (priority registration).

I listed my main concerns for each school based on what I know and read on sdn. Please tell me if these are valid issues at each school, how easy it would be to work around them, and ultimately what the best choice would be. I want to maintain a high GPA and get plenty of research experience.

UCLA
~cutthroat competition/ grade deflation
~hard to land research positions (so many smart premeds)

Davis
~
Since I don't have a full ride here, I'll have to work. This may cut into study/ extracurric/ research time
~No medical center close by (UCD Med School is in downtown Sac)

Merced
~
Not as many research opportunities
~No medical school
~Lacks prestige

Also if it helps, I'm entering as a computer science major at Davis and Merced, and chemistry at UCLA (planning to switch that to compsci as well)

Here's some facts about UCLA Premed:

You'll have 80 to 81 days to finish a quarter.
Life Science major: 20 courses with 86 quarter units.
Other majors: 25 courses with 99 quarter units.
2014: 63 students out of 124 got into at least 1 Medical School which renders 51% acceptance rate that year.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/comparison-between-ucla-usc-cal-for-pre-med.1217265/
I am gonna extend this post in the url to other UCs. I've looked over other UCs and it looks similar and some cases it's better than others. For example, UC Berkeley recommends only 1 General Chemistry. Not really sure how it works. But hey, less work on your shoulder!

Last edited:
2014: 63 students out of 124 got into at least 1 Medical School which renders 51% acceptance rate that year.
UCLA has over 900 students apply to Med School each year. That 124 number is just those filled out the survey. Not sure what the acceptance percentage is though. But FAR MORE than 63 are accepted each year.

UCLA has over 900 students apply to Med School each year. That 124 number is just those filled out the survey. Not sure what the acceptance percentage is though. But FAR MORE than 63 are accepted each year.

Yeah, I even looked over the applicant file for AAMC. The number was way smaller from where I found it. It certainly is more than that. I should update this.. I just went with any official pages that schools provide.

Yeah, I even looked over the applicant file for AAMC. The number was way smaller from where I found it. It certainly is more than that. I should update this.. I just went with any official pages that schools provide.

Yep, but right a the top of that page the small print states "...degree recipients who released their American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) information to UCLA". Obviously only about 15% release their data.

Yep, but right a the top of that page the small print states "...degree recipients who released their American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) information to UCLA". Obviously only about 15% release their data.
Yeah. Since I can't find the data for both Matriculant and Applicant, I should state that it is less than 15% of all applicants. Heck, I can't even find one for USC..
Please USC.. provide this info q_q

Last edited: