balance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2004
Status
What are the differences between UCLA and UCSF essay portion?

UCSF's essay was 10 min and you had a write one or two paragraphs. How is UCLA's essay section?

Thanks

Jess_SB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
San Francisco
Status
They are similar, but you are given more time for the UCLA essay (20 min?), and in my case the UCLA essay required some knowledge of the dental field - "How will dentistry change in the next 10 years?" - whereas the UCSF essay was on a totally random topic that had nothing to do with dentistry.

Both are supposedly just "writing samples" to see if you can communicate well, but I believe it more with the UCSF essay.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Can dentist write?
We do have electives or additional requirement on top of classes to fulfill in order to graduate. Including community service, teaching?, written and oral communication.

we just took a history and ethics midterm which is essay based, so we need to prove that we can communicate using written english. and learned how to write an essay in a certain format... donno how many people followed that particular direction though.

ucla interview is pretty straight-forward, but dont get ur guard down. Be professional. Be nice and be happy. We would like to accept you, just dont give reason for adcom to deny u.

and just for future, do expect faliure. I just flunk my radiology midterm with half of my class. But so what? we will come back and make it up on our final. this is the mentality that we have to have. keep on fighting. keep working harder and harder. even thoguh faculty throw everything they have for us, they do want us to succeed. (you may think this is kinda totally irrelevant to this post, but i hope you will remember it when you are down)

OP
balance

balance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2004
Status
ecodoesit,

Thank you very much for your support. I feel like you spend a lot of time on this site to help us. Which is great. But, Wouldn't you think you should study more, so you do better on your exams?

By the way, when I visit my dentist, I can care less if he is a good writer or not. All I care for is if knows what he is doing?

Thanks.

ecdoesit said:
Can dentist write?
We do have electives or additional requirement on top of classes to fulfill in order to graduate. Including community service, teaching?, written and oral communication.

we just took a history and ethics midterm which is essay based, so we need to prove that we can communicate using written english. and learned how to write an essay in a certain format... donno how many people followed that particular direction though.

ucla interview is pretty straight-forward, but dont get ur guard down. Be professional. Be nice and be happy. We would like to accept you, just dont give reason for adcom to deny u.

and just for future, do expect faliure. I just flunk my radiology midterm with half of my class. But so what? we will come back and make it up on our final. this is the mentality that we have to have. keep on fighting. keep working harder and harder. even thoguh faculty throw everything they have for us, they do want us to succeed. (you may think this is kinda totally irrelevant to this post, but i hope you will remember it when you are down)

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
What this thread fails to tell you is that at the UCLA interview, THE INTERVIEWERS WILL SEE YOUR ESSAY AND WILL ASK YOU QUESTIONS ABOUT IT. SO PREPARE TO BACK IT UP AND DON'T JUST WRITE SOME BS.

I wrote something about dental insurance; Delta Dental, and it sort of came back to bite me.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
hahaha, i get these comments a lot. Dont worry, in approximately 4.5 wks, I will have even less chance to "help" you guys.

My grades aint that bad. For two midterms, I only missed one question, which is very surprising. For anatomy, I m quite borderline, but it really doesnt matter given nobody could possibly remember those little detail in hundreds of pages in the text. For radiology, half of our class didnt pass, so we just need to work harder.

btw, i just got back from mammoth. what a fun trip. the snow was awesome. hehe, i guess i should go back to study.

balance said:
ecodoesit,

Thank you very much for your support. I feel like you spend a lot of time on this site to help us. Which is great. But, Wouldn't you think you should study more, so you do better on your exams?

By the way, when I visit my dentist, I can care less if he is a good writer or not. All I care for is if knows what he is doing?

Thanks.