UCLA vs UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonutPremed

Reaction score
No geffen so the costs are pretty much the same. Hoping to stay in CA for residency so with that in mind, I think it’s safe to say there’s not much of a difference in prestige?

I’ve been in SF my entire life, so I’m actually pretty excited to explore someplace new. I also had a much better vibe at UCLA.

Overall super grateful to have two incredible options, but I think hearing some honest downsides would help me make a decision. I’m really interested to hear from current students who can comment on things they dislike in either program

Members don't see this ad.

Both amazing schools, but I definitely think there is a prestige difference. I would go with UCSF hands down, personally. But congrats on clearly being a baller.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No geffen so the costs are pretty much the same. Hoping to stay in CA for residency so with that in mind, I think it’s safe to say there’s not much of a difference in prestige?

I’ve been in SF my entire life, so I’m actually pretty excited to explore someplace new. I also had a much better vibe at UCLA.

Overall super grateful to have two incredible options, but I think hearing some honest downsides would help me make a decision. I’m really interested to hear from current students who can comment on things they dislike in either program
You didn't write any pros and cons so not sure how we are supposed to help. UCLA is what? #6 in the country? I don't think the prestige difference is a big deal. I think it's about which school you liked better and the unique opportunities that appeal to you about each which we do not know

Reactions: 1 users
It is really tough to advise without hearing about your interests, pros/cons, etc etc.

The prestige difference between the 2 schools is quite large, especially outside of CA but also inside CA. UCLA is still a top school in the nation, but USNWR is highly flawed. You should not really consider those rankings but rather consider the historical reputations and match outcomes from either school, in which case UCSF has a significant advantage.

That being said you can of course still be successful coming out of UCLA in any field you want; it is a top school. The vibe is certainly going to be different there vs UCSF. If you think you would be significantly happier at UCLA, then it is a good option. If you like both schools about equally and if $$ is fairly similar, I would recommend UCSF.

Reactions: 2 users
I personally think that both schools are fantastic, but if you’re concerned about prestige then go UCSF. What about COL, curriculum, anything else that puts one school above another?

I’m an MS4 at UCSF, so if you have any questions (sans Bridges questions, since that’s after my time), I’m happy to answer. It’s hard to know what to volunteer since I’m not sure what your preferences are.

Both great schools, but UCSF is significantly better.

I kinda disagree there. Other than USNews ranking I don't think they are all that different, considering their students very very similarly. And if we're gonna go down that road, UCLA's match is usually more impressive than UCSF's historically.

I will say UCSF now allegedly transitioning to p/f all four years > UCLA's traditional curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Location is super important for me and while I love the SF Bay Area, I’ve been here so long to the point that I’d honestly consider it a con for UCSF. I’m eager to explore somewhere new and was under the assumption that the prestige difference between UCSF and UCLA wasn’t so significant within CA, but that doesn’t seem to be the case given some of these responses.

I’m leaning toward neurology or neonatology as a specialty, but I definitely want to work with underserved/minority populations (an opportunity readily available at both schools) and maybe integrate some public/health policy training

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Location is super important for me and while I love the SF Bay Area, I’ve been here so long to the point that I’d honestly consider it a con for UCSF. I’m eager to explore somewhere new and was under the assumption that the prestige difference between UCSF and UCLA wasn’t so significant within CA, but that doesn’t seem to be the case given some of these responses.

I’m leaning toward neurology or neonatology as a specialty, but I definitely want to work with underserved/minority populations (an opportunity readily available at both schools) and maybe integrate some public/health policy training

UCSF is definitely more prestigious even in CA, but UCLA is also a good school.

Neurology is a major strength at UCSF - we have an excellent neurology department and, from what I’ve heard, have more students applying into the field than most other schools. Can’t comment on neonatology.

Working with underserved populations is also a big thing here, and you can do a decent chunk of your rotations at SFGH or UCSF Fresno to get a lot of those experiences.

This is not to say that you’d be wrong to choose UCLA - just to give my experiences relating to your interests.

Reactions: 1 user

I agree with @differentiating. UCSF is known for its I N C R E D I B L E neurology department. If neuro is a strong interest, I would definitely consider UCSF. Also UCSF is one of the top leaders in public health training for its students (I didn’t get as strong of a public health/health policy emphasis from UCLA).

Reactions: 1 users

You cannot go wrong with either school. In someways the LA area is even more diverse than San Francisco. Also, I would have to say living and working around Westwood is big plus compared to the area around UCSF.