1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UCLA vs UCSF?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by omegax8, Jan 4, 2009.

1. omegax8

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have a hard decision to make between UCLA and UCSF since both schools are top notch california schools. I am currently doing my undergraduate in la and just want some input on which would you decide if you were in my position. Thanks:)

2. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  3. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you live in LA then I would go with UCSF. It would be a great opportunity to go and experience something new at a great institution. Plus UCSF is cheaper right?

4. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
  5. harrygt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey bol, you are suspicious (You know what I mean?);).
    But seriously, which one is cheaper overall (Considering housing as well)? I would choose that school. Both are great schools, so the cheaper one wins.

6. xpheene

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    both cities are great. go with your gut and pick the school you feel best fitting in to. btw so cal girls > no cal girls

7. omegax8

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    in my opinion i think living in westwood is equally as expensive as living in sf so rite now the cost for me would be the same. i was just thinking since in la i would need a car (this is if i want to save money and live farther away from school) so the expenses associated with a car would equal the expenses living in sf. this is my rough estimate though

8. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    SF life is way different than LA life, make sure you are comfortable with whatever decision you make. You don't want to be stuck somewhere you dont like for the next 4 years. If you are in LA, I would keep it safe and go to UCLA, plus, I heard that its a pretty good school :)

9. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Who wants to be a Bruin? Fight on!

Aside from that, both schools are quite reputable and I'm sure you'll get an outstanding education at either one. In my opinion choosing between living in LA or SF is comparable to choosing between Beatles or Stones. It depends on which place suits your personality.

10. DuffMan01

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Also think about how you want to be graded! SF is P/NP and LA is graded, so more competitve and more stress? Could be! I would personally choose SF for the experience and the P/NP. Students also seemed chill up north!

11. Amalgam4U

Amalgam4U FIERCE!
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UCLA is also P/NP.

UCLA +'s:

undergrad school/SPORTS/recognition/pretty campus
    weather (unless you <3 fog and cold)

Quality/cost are almost equivalent. I'm sure both schools select nice people, but I really really <3 my class ;)

Some things to consider: UCLA has a new cirriculum that we're ironing out. Should be much better next year. Faculty is responsive.

Some other things to consider: UCSF has a pharm school = females! I only say that because this year (the only year it's happened) guy:girl ratio is 2:1.

Congrats and good luck!

12. xpheene

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes! UCLA is P/NP and hot so cal girls. What more can you ask for? SF is always breezing. When it's raining season, it pours frequently. Do you like the rain or sunny weather?

13. playa2652

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    UCSF because there is no other place in the world like the Bay Area...plus the traffic in SF is no where as bad as LA.

14. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com
    Partner Organization 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This age old question can be summed up in just one little phrase:

Which do you prefer? Smog or fog?

15. omegax8

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thanks everyone for their input. after a lot of thinking i have decided on ucsf since i did my undergraduate at ucla and i think it's time for a change. still it is a valid point that so cal weather is nice but i think nor cal air is soo much fresher!!!