UCLA vs UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentdent12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both are great institutions, but which one is better in terms of city, price, research, etc. Anything goes, so put down a category and put SF or LA next to it and some reasons why you think that place is better. I'll tally everything at the end and make a summary of what everyone thinks.

City: Wash. Both great.
Tuition: SF. But only a little cheaper
Research: SF. Maybe top research institution in country
Clinical Training: LA
Cost of Living: Wash. Both Expensive
Facilities: SF. LA facilities are older, SF facilities just renovated.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you come to the conclusion the UCLA gives you better clinical training?

Both are great schools. If Location is a concern to you, then you should pick UCLA. As you said it yourself, research opportunities are endless at UCSF, and the new facilities are amazing (new sim lab with digital X-ray, new wet lab and I believe they are working on getting CAD/CAM). However, I really do not believe that UCLA has better clinical training (this is the first time I am hearing this). You cannot go wrong with any of these two schools, at the end it comes down to where you prefer to live ( but I think UCLA place more students into specialty programs).

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are great schools. If Location is a concern to you, then you should pick UCLA. As you said it yourself, research opportunities are endless at UCSF, and the new facilities are amazing (new sim lab with digital X-ray, new wet lab and I believe they are working on getting CAD/CAM). However, I really do not believe that UCLA has better clinical training (this is the first time I am hearing this). You cannot go wrong with any of these two schools, at the end it comes down to where you prefer to live ( but I think UCLA place more students into specialty programs).

Both are great schools. I think a better question would be: Are you a socal or norcal person?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm a norcal person =)

I have heard that UCLA places way more of their students into specialties... Students at UCSF have said that they have absolutley no ranking system whatsoever and this hurts them in the long run. But if you don't plan on specializing then I guess it doesn't matter!!;)

Nonetheless, I don't think you can go wrong with either school. I like UCLA location a little better and the facilities at SF. Hope that helps!:)

I have heard that UCLA places way more of their students into specialties... Students at UCSF have said that they have absolutley no ranking system whatsoever and this hurts them in the long run. But if you don't plan on specializing then I guess it doesn't matter!!;)

Nonetheless, I don't think you can go wrong with either school. I like UCLA location a little better and the facilities at SF. Hope that helps!:)

I'd Choose UCSF, but I might be biased, hence my tag.....I did do UCLA undergrad. It was a great school. Always something to do and always GREAT weather. Not sure if that is something that would lure you in, but if your going to spend 4 years at a place no other school is as aesthetically pleasing on the outside. In terms of stats, UCSF placed 50% of their students in specialty programs last year and only one student didn't get the placement they wanted (the admissions office told me). If you take out AEGDs and GPRs then the percent changes to 25% specializing in such things as endo, perio, ortho, etc.
I picked UCSF because I always believed there was just something magical about the school. It had a reputation that everyone talked about. Always thought I could change the world if I went there.

Hope this helps....good luck choosing :D

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but within the dental community and/or the minds of faculty/directors/deans, does UCSF SOD or UCLA SOD have a stronger reputation nationally?

JBieber- Nationally I would say UCLA has the better reputation simply because it has a known undergrad. Within the dental community I would say they are fairly equal, although I have two uncles from the bay area and both told me to go to UCLA if given the opportunity.

coolslugs- Both are p/f. UCLA does now have Honors so its actually h/p/f. I believe UCSF has some kind of honors or something similar. At UCLA you get honors for individual classes, not as a ranking system overall, like the top 1/3 of the class, so it really does not matter. Specialty programs have no idea what a couple honors in a few classes means since it is not the same thing as rankings.

These are two of the top schools in the country, and they are so similar anyway that it really does not matter. I most likely will be attending UCLA because I really liked the interview, the few faculty I met (as well as the faculties attentiveness towards the students needs), the weather, the undergrad school with sports teams, the area around the school, high board scores and high specialty rates (50%). The reason I list specialty rates is that although I am not sure I want to specialize, if I do decide to go that route, being in an environment with so many other students with the same goal will help keep me motivated.