UCLA vs UPENN vs PACIFIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm really really really confused between those 3.... I know that until this moment I am not sure whether i'm accepted or not, i just dont want to wait till i hear back from them...

ANY input from you will help me! I'm looking for a strong clinical program with the maximum exposure to patients to graduate with enough confidence and be able to join the market

What would you choose and why?

I have some questions about each school that i do not know an answer for:
1- Do you think the new building at Pacific an advantage or disadvantage? Do you think that we will be ginnie pigs and they'll test the new system on us? or they have everything under control? cuz it can be amazing or it can be devastating!

2- I read A LOT about the poor patient pool UCLA has, and the struggle to get a chair... how true is that? And does UCLA have a strong clinical program? or just average?

3- Any thoughts about UPENN as well?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
I'm really really really confused between those 3.... I know that until this moment I am not sure whether i'm accepted or not, i just dont want to wait till i hear back from them...

ANY input from you will help me! I'm looking for a strong clinical program with the maximum exposure to patients to graduate with enough confidence and be able to join the market

1- Do you think the new building at Pacific an advantage or disadvantage? Do you think that we will be ginnie pigs and they'll test the new system on us? or they have everything under control? cuz it can be amazing or it can be devastating!

2- I read A LOT about the poor patient pool UCLA has, and the struggle to get a chair... how true is that? And does UCLA have a strong clinical program? or just average?

Thanks!
U Penn is the best of the lot from the pool you mentioned...UCLA stresses more on academics...U Penn on the other hand has a more clinical approach....both the universities have a good name...U Penn a notch above...UOP is also good but i think its too expensive...but it is good as a school...and san francisco is a really beautiful place...if i were you and had a choice it would be U Penn taking into considerations all the factors...

U Penn is the best of the lot from the pool you mentioned...UCLA stresses more on academics...U Penn on the other hand has a more clinical approach....both the universities have a good name...U Penn a notch above...UOP is also good but i think its too expensive...but it is good as a school...and san francisco is a really beautiful place...if i were you and had a choice it would be U Penn taking into considerations all the factors...
Yeah that's what i thought, but I met UPENN graduates who say that they feel they need more training cuz they never did surgical extractions for example or implants, at pacific they do all that before graduating, yet UPENN graduates were very happy with what they got... this makes UPENN & UCLA very close to me, but ucla is cheaper and in LA! It's kinda confusing :S

Members don't see this ad :)
i think uop is also best bec its good to concentrate in practicals

i have the same dilemma too.. but i dont have UPENN..haha! UOP or UCLA!? i made some kind of a personal pros and cons about each school...but then there are still things that both school have that i both like and i don't know how to weigh each categories hahaha!!!:confused:

i have the same dilemma too.. but i dont have UPENN..haha! UOP or UCLA!? i made some kind of a personal pros and cons about each school...but then there are still things that both school have that i both like and i don't know how to weigh each categories hahaha!!!:confused:

UOP is better than UCLA. Way more patients and your more confident once your done about the experience you get. I have a few friends who graduated from there. By the way UOP is harder to get into.

i think uop is also best bec its good to concentrate in practicals
100% TRUE!:cool:
I think I'm this close to eliminating UPENN from my choices so we're in the same boat... tell me your thoughts! we can share our opinions and maybe it can help!:idea::rolleyes:
UOP is better than UCLA. Way more patients and your more confident once your done about the experience you get. I have a few friends who graduated from there. By the way UOP is harder to get into.
Honestly this is one of my MAJOR deciding factors, having the confidence to jump in the market! But i gotta tell ya, the patient pool is better at UOP but not to a large extent... also I'm really excited about their new building and all what it will offer whether its from the new "Private Practice" system they'll adopt or the brand new high tech gadgets that i'll get the chance to play with :smuggrin: it seems that i'm pretty much sold huh?! GOD PLEASE HELP ME!!! :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Upenn: its got the Ivy league status:prof:.I havent heard anything so "wow" about the school other than the ivy league status:rolleyes:! The degree is gona look great on your wall!

Pacific: well there's always good stuff around about pacific:love:. Amazing labs, very friendly faculty, the new building might attract new patients, great location, a lil chilly but its still SF city!!!
Cons: The most expensive school out there and the "not so famous name".

UCLA: heard the clinical program is good:), not many patients, decent faculty, UCLA name tag and ofcourse the warm LA weather!

All three of them are great schools I am sure, I am a little biased towards Pacific though:D.

Upenn: its got the Ivy league status:prof:.I havent heard anything so "wow" about the school other than the ivy league status:rolleyes:! The degree is gona look great on your wall!

Pacific: well there's always good stuff around about pacific:love:. Amazing labs, very friendly faculty, the new building might attract new patients, great location, a lil chilly but its still SF city!!!
Cons: The most expensive school out there and the "not so famous name".

UCLA: heard the clinical program is good:), not many patients, decent faculty, UCLA name tag and ofcourse the warm LA weather!

All three of them are great schools I am sure, I am a little biased towards Pacific though:D.

wow thanks Holly! amazing info! Actually this summarizes my 3 days of non stop reading about all 3 schools :) Till now Pacific is my no 1 :)

Even if UOP and U Penn are great schools, U Penn is the best option since you save a lot of money.And definitely not UCLA.

Even if UOP and U Penn are great schools, U Penn is the best option since you save a lot of money.And definitely not UCLA.

Honestly it is NOT a lot of money! We're talking about $30,000!!
Also put in mind that at UPENN you'll have to pay for the prep course ($30,000) OUR OF YOUR POCKET :scared::scared: Or you can go for a bank loan and you'll pay loads of interest... That's why UPENN & Pacific are exactly the same from the financial aspect

Honestly it is NOT a lot of money! We're talking about $30,000!!
Also put in mind that at UPENN you'll have to pay for the prep course ($30,000) OUR OF YOUR POCKET :scared::scared: Or you can go for a bank loan and you'll pay loads of interest... That's why UPENN & Pacific are exactly the same from the financial aspect
so Gabr, did you decide which school or still hesitating ?

Members don't see this ad :)
if I were you i would opt for the cheapest school in terms of Tuition Loan!! Cause every penny in the end makes a huge difference when you gotta pay loan with interest!!! UPENN, UCLA AND UOP, all are great schools but go for the school that's much economical than the other, in my opinion UCLA is a state school that means its cheaper, its name is big, great reputation, lot of opportunities to specialize, awesome faculty, and very competitive, plus LA weather a big factor that goes in favor for that school!!! all these are huge pluses!!! whereas UOP, its private school,,, more expensive, you're talking +100k difference here, less competitive as it doesnt offer a lot of options for specialization, and hey they are also changing their site building so you will be a part of that transition which means you would also have to consider a new residence and shifting stress while being in an already 7am to 8pm stressful schedule... besides SF weather which is most of time cold and foggy is a big no no for me... i have a lot friends who graduated from UCLA and their hand skills are way better than a lot of grads from other schools... i dont know much about UPENN other than being an IVY league institution but that too is a big YES:) cause I am also a brand name person:) but honestly i would have opted for UCLA being the most competitive and the least costly school!! my two cents :) hope that helps!!! :)

Last edited:
if I were you i would opt for the cheapest school in terms of Tuition Loan!! Cause every penny in the end makes a huge difference when you gotta pay loan with interest!!! UPENN, UCLA AND UOP, all are great schools but go for the school that's much economical than the other, in my opinion UCLA is a state school that means its cheaper, its name is big, great reputation, lot of opportunities to specialize, awesome faculty, and very competitive, plus LA weather a big factor that goes in favor for that school!!! all these are huge pluses!!! whereas UOP, its private school,,, more expensive, you're talking +100k difference here, less competitive as it doesnt offer a lot of options for specialization, and hey they are also changing their site building so you will be a part of that transition which means you would also have to consider a new residence and shifting stress while being in an already 7am to 8pm stressful schedule... besides SF weather which is most of time cold and foggy is a big no no for me... i have a lot friends who graduated from UCLA and their hand skills are way better than a lot of grads from other schools... i dont know much about UPENN other than being an IVY league institution but that too is a big YES:) cause I am also a brand name person:) but honestly i would have opted for UCLA being the most competitive and the least costly school!! my two cents :) hope that helps!!! :)

Well first of all I'd like to thank you for taking the time and explaining everything in details :) I really appreciate it!

Let me say that your point is valid 100% especially about choosing the cheapest. Honestly, that was all I can think of at the beginning. Now that I made my final decision, let me explain.
My decision was based on a lot of reading from the forum's archives about the same dilemma I had starting from the year 2003 up till that moment, also I spoke to graduates/current students from every program, did simple calculations and some speculations into the future:D.

About UCLA: It's a state school, $60,000 cheaper, P/F, high specialization rate... BUT:
  • State school means that it WILL be forced into the huge budget cuts adopted by the UC system due to the rough economy we're facing (specially Cali) that means more staff lay offs, worn facilities, get less education for the same amount of money
  • The P/F system helps a lot with specialization BUT now that the boards are P/F as well, a lot of doubts are surfacing on whether the committee will still need some numbers to look at
  • The "UCLA has more chances in getting into a PG program" saying is just a gimmick, they both have the same exact chances of getting in (at least 1 Pacific grad is accepted into UPENN's endo program each year!!!!)
  • LA is just a beautiful city! I loved it the most, even more than SF. If both programs were equal to me or very close, I would've definitley chosen UCLA just for the city! But that's not the case, it's a huge investment and I should make sure that I make the best out of it during those 2 years!! :)
  • UCLA has this persisting problem of poor patient pool. Being in Westwood and having USC closer to those under-served lower level neighborhoods, it makes sense!
  • Going through all the drama to get a chair, butt-heading with the residents to get cases as they are ahead of you in line, mind you the complex cases!!!

On the other hand, Pacific:
  • It's a private school, which means way superior facilities specially the clinics and equipments, more "laid back" attitude through the school, no budget cuts
  • do complicated cases like rehabs, place implants from scratch, do more surgical procedures, make invisaligns
  • $60,000 (28%) more expensive...but let me get to that point later
  • Brand new clinics! I'm talking EVERY SINGLE THING will be brand new!!!!! Also they redesigned the clinics layout to be more like several small private practices. The first year will be in the old bldg, the second will be in the new one. So far the school claim that they have everything under control and will do the transition during the summer 3-4 wks vacation so I shouldn't be worried. The 2 bldgs are 15 mins apart which is not that bad if I stayed in my old apratment in the 2nd year
  • Only ortho RESIDENTS on board!!! that's a HUUUUGE PLUS!! Can you imagine that? Can you imagine how many cases you'll get to do? The exposure you'll get, all the complicated treatment plans and simply get the chance to practice each and every procedure that out there in any book!

Now... my 2 cents:D

-When I go to Pacific, I'll pay 28% more fees, but I will get better facilities, clinical exposure, far superior clinical training and more GP focused program with a very strong endo course....
-If I'm gona go to UCLA then I'll pay less, have hard times keeping up with the clinical requirements, have the risk of 10% tuition increase, have less value for the money, have tiny risk to stay behind another quarter, amazing social life and city but less time to spend going out due to lack of time....

Since I'll be my own boss eventually, it won't matter where I graduated from... If I was a business student and will be hired and looked at by other people, then I would've definitely went to UCLA without even considering ANYTHING else, because each employer will train me differently anyway :) back to dentistry:D bottom line is:
Should I pay $60,000 less and have to spend another 1-2 years in residency programs to get "enough" experience to jump in the market? This means ANOTHER loan (which is almost as equal to the old one) for the residency program with interest kicking in once you receive the money PLUS the accumulating interest from the older loan!! Do you think all this will not make the $60,000 difference?!!! guess not!!!
With that being said, you actually get LESS value for the money at UCLA than PACIFIC.... or at least that's how I look at it!!
In addition to the way I have my priorities listed... the program is what I'm looking/paying for, the city, weather and everything else is not as important at all! And honestly, it's still San Fran!!! I mean come on

Since UPENN & UCLA are very close (actually UPENN is slightly better clinically) I would still choose UCLA because of the city!

Last edited:
This is awesome Gabr!!! Thanks alot! This removes all the doubts.
HAIL PACIFIC!!! :bow::bow::bow::bow:

what are you talking about? iam afraid you havnt done your research well then? UCLA has the strongest didactic program, budget cuts or no budget!! it lives up to its reputation every year without failing!!!! you are definitely not going to get a compromise on education and instruction!!!! not in UCLA!!! as far as uop is concerned... i would say that slow down your horses as you carrying wayyy to many expectations in terms of doing complicated cases!!! the first year you will be spending in the labs with the same old typodont, and a dental unit that's not even that fancy either :) besides you are forgetting that patient population is divided between UCSF AND UOP, where patients reclining more towards UCSF than UOP obviously because thats affordable and more specialized. Now as far as UCLA patient pool is concerned, there are a lot of patients in UCLA and (plenty of chairs you just have reserve your chair).whereas.patient pool is avg in UOP!!! besides the hours are very hectic specially for married women students who also have to balance time for their families, UCLA is ideal for them. Plus UCLA is a world class school with every type of grad school in it,.. it has a name and a charm to it :) it has great extracurricular activities for people like me who enjoy sports... There you get the feel of a real university campus life unlike UOP which is practically just one tall building thats all!!!very disappointing!!! I feel that you get a lot more value of your buck in UCLA!! :) that too in a less of a price and the cost of program is way too practical to be ignored! but its all about personal preferences,.i dont want to leave an option for specialization, at the same time i want to enjoy my campus life, pay less tuition, get a dds, get more jobs offered to me under the name tag of UCLA :) enjoy LA and the weather... i feel its a deal for me:)

USC gets way more patients than UCLA. UCLA is in a rich neighborhood and majority of the patients there go to already licensed dentist. USC on the other hand is in a poor neighborhood and receives far more patients than UCLA. UCLA lacks big time in that aspect. UCLA dentistry program is not that great compared to other places.

Last edited:
i have two friends who graduated from UCLA and one whos graduating this year, they all have the same story to tell. they are happy they went and chose UCLA, as their program is second to none!!! hand down! i

i have two friends who graduated from UCLA and one whos graduating this year, they all have the same story to tell. they are happy they went and chose UCLA, as their program is second to none!!! hand down! i

I can tell you that Loma Linda, UOP and USC have a way better program than UCLA in dentistry! I have many friends in different UC schools and I know! It's common sense. You obviously have no clue just because you heard from 2 people. They went to UCLA but they don't know what type of experience they would have gotten if they went to another school like UOP. UCLA grads lack clinical experience.

This forum shouldn't even be up. If none of you know which is better you shouldn't even be in dentistry lol. Upenn is better than UOP and UOP is better than UCLA. End of story.

Well first of all I'd like to thank you for taking the time and explaining everything in details :) I really appreciate it!

Let me say that your point is valid 100% especially about choosing the cheapest. Honestly, that was all I can think of at the beginning. Now that I made my final decision, let me explain.
My decision was based on a lot of reading from the forum's archives about the same dilemma I had starting from the year 2003 up till that moment, also I spoke to graduates/current students from every program, did simple calculations and some speculations into the future:D.

About UCLA: It's a state school, $60,000 cheaper, P/F, high specialization rate... BUT:
  • State school means that it WILL be forced into the huge budget cuts adopted by the UC system due to the rough economy we're facing (specially Cali) that means more staff lay offs, worn facilities, get less education for the same amount of money
  • The P/F system helps a lot with specialization BUT now that the boards are P/F as well, a lot of doubts are surfacing on whether the committee will still need some numbers to look at
  • The "UCLA has more chances in getting into a PG program" saying is just a gimmick, they both have the same exact chances of getting in (at least 1 Pacific grad is accepted into UPENN's endo program each year!!!!)
  • LA is just a beautiful city! I loved it the most, even more than SF. If both programs were equal to me or very close, I would've definitley chosen UCLA just for the city! But that's not the case, it's a huge investment and I should make sure that I make the best out of it during those 2 years!! :)
  • UCLA has this persisting problem of poor patient pool. Being in Westwood and having USC closer to those under-served lower level neighborhoods, it makes sense!
  • Going through all the drama to get a chair, butt-heading with the residents to get cases as they are ahead of you in line, mind you the complex cases!!!

On the other hand, Pacific:
  • It's a private school, which means way superior facilities specially the clinics and equipments, more "laid back" attitude through the school, no budget cuts
  • do complicated cases like rehabs, place implants from scratch, do more surgical procedures, make invisaligns
  • $60,000 (28%) more expensive...but let me get to that point later
  • Brand new clinics! I'm talking EVERY SINGLE THING will be brand new!!!!! Also they redesigned the clinics layout to be more like several small private practices. The first year will be in the old bldg, the second will be in the new one. So far the school claim that they have everything under control and will do the transition during the summer 3-4 wks vacation so I shouldn't be worried. The 2 bldgs are 15 mins apart which is not that bad if I stayed in my old apratment in the 2nd year
  • Only ortho RESIDENTS on board!!! that's a HUUUUGE PLUS!! Can you imagine that? Can you imagine how many cases you'll get to do? The exposure you'll get, all the complicated treatment plans and simply get the chance to practice each and every procedure that out there in any book!

Now... my 2 cents:D

-When I go to Pacific, I'll pay 28% more fees, but I will get better facilities, clinical exposure, far superior clinical training and more GP focused program with a very strong endo course....
-If I'm gona go to UCLA then I'll pay less, have hard times keeping up with the clinical requirements, have the risk of 10% tuition increase, have less value for the money, have tiny risk to stay behind another quarter, amazing social life and city but less time to spend going out due to lack of time....

Since I'll be my own boss eventually, it won't matter where I graduated from... If I was a business student and will be hired and looked at by other people, then I would've definitely went to UCLA without even considering ANYTHING else, because each employer will train me differently anyway :) back to dentistry:D bottom line is:
Should I pay $60,000 less and have to spend another 1-2 years in residency programs to get "enough" experience to jump in the market? This means ANOTHER loan (which is almost as equal to the old one) for the residency program with interest kicking in once you receive the money PLUS the accumulating interest from the older loan!! Do you think all this will not make the $60,000 difference?!!! guess not!!!
With that being said, you actually get LESS value for the money at UCLA than PACIFIC.... or at least that's how I look at it!!
In addition to the way I have my priorities listed... the program is what I'm looking/paying for, the city, weather and everything else is not as important at all! And honestly, it's still San Fran!!! I mean come on

Since UPENN & UCLA are very close (actually UPENN is slightly better clinically) I would still choose UCLA because of the city!

That's a great piece of information. Good job Gabr! :)

uop is better than ucla, ucla is better than upeen , upenn better than ucla , ucla better than uop but it is better than nyu hahaha fed up with this comparison!!!!go with what you like guysss

what are you talking about? iam afraid you havnt done your research well then? UCLA has the strongest didactic program, budget cuts or no budget!! it lives up to its reputation every year without failing!!!! you are definitely not going to get a compromise on education and instruction!!!! not in UCLA!!! as far as uop is concerned... i would say that slow down your horses as you carrying wayyy to many expectations in terms of doing complicated cases!!! the first year you will be spending in the labs with the same old typodont, and a dental unit that's not even that fancy either :) besides you are forgetting that patient population is divided between UCSF AND UOP, where patients reclining more towards UCSF than UOP obviously because thats affordable and more specialized. Now as far as UCLA patient pool is concerned, there are a lot of patients in UCLA and (plenty of chairs you just have reserve your chair).whereas.patient pool is avg in UOP!!! besides the hours are very hectic specially for married women students who also have to balance time for their families, UCLA is ideal for them. Plus UCLA is a world class school with every type of grad school in it,.. it has a name and a charm to it it has great extracurricular activities for people like me who enjoy sports... There you get the feel of a real university campus life unlike UOP which is practically just one tall building thats all!!!very disappointing!!! I feel that you get a lot more value of your buck in UCLA!! that too in a less of a price and the cost of program is way too practical to be ignored! but its all about personal preferences,.i dont want to leave an option for specialization, at the same time i want to enjoy my campus life, pay less tuition, get a dds, get more jobs offered to me under the name tag of UCLA :) enjoy LA and the weather... i feel its a deal for me
-Have you heard about the wide spread protests about the UC Berkeley? and UC Irvine as well? You should google it! Both of them already did cut their budgets! That's why there's a big chance UCLA will too!
-At Pacific we'll see our first patient after 6 months into the program
-The new bldg will be in downtown and expected to attract even more patients than UCSF! -And the the already existing patient pool at Pacific is said to be better than UCLA
-About the hours yeah you're right.. it's very hectic :S But fortunately I'm not married so I have all the time in the world for the school:D
-UCLA def has better name than UOP can't argue that
-UCLA has a bigger campus, sports, everything... that I will miss:( however some UCLA students claim they don't have much time around while in school

USC gets way more patients than UCLA. UCLA is in a rich neighborhood and majority of the patients there go to already licensed dentist. USC on the other hand is in a poor neighborhood and receives far more patients than UCLA. UCLA lacks big time in that aspect. UCLA dentistry program is not that great compared to other places.

I second the USC thing...

This forum shouldn't even be up. If none of you know which is better you shouldn't even be in dentistry lol. Upenn is better than UOP and UOP is better than UCLA. End of story.

HAHAHAHA! So you do really believe in the "PERFECT" program? How about "PERFECT" girl, "PERFECT" house, "PERFECT" car (you better say bmw:smuggrin:)...etc? Come on! There's no such thing! Everyone will have his/her own "perfect" choice! As long as you're happy then you should be fine;)

That's a great piece of information. Good job Gabr! :)
Thank You:D

uop is better than ucla, ucla is better than upeen , upenn better than ucla , ucla better than uop but it is better than nyu hahaha fed up with this comparison!!!!go with what you like guysss

Sorry for causing you such inconvenience, our deepest apologies +pity+....:smuggrin:

Hi everyone!
I have the same problem! Accepted into UPenn and UCLA and can't decide...I wish I could go to both of them :)
My status: married, 2 kids in school, live in Cali about 2 hours away from UCLA, had experience in private clinic so I'm not so worried about patient pool; what it matter is I am interested in doing things that I didn't do in the past( implants, ortho, cerric unit...etc)
My observation of the schools is that both have problems with patient pool, both are brand name schools, both have great faculty.... UCLA wonderful weather vs. UPenn Ivy league...
if you to live in LA you could live 10 minutes away from school in decent neighborhood with good schools for kids, you could use your car while you in Philly you have to live probably 30-45 minutes away from school to find decent schools for your kids plus because of the distance you can't use your own car or you will stuck in rush hour traffic, so you have to rely on public transportation..
In regard to finance; I calculated the totals of both schools and UPenn was over UCLA by $20,000...this includes the preparatory course..
What else.. Ohh over all living expenses in LA is a little bit cheaper than Philly (groceries, rent, car insurance….etc)
I am still thinking about it, I had this feeling in UPenn as if I was home while in UCLA I just was happy but didn't had this warm feelings...
I am soooooo not decided yet. My first time in my life to be hesitated.. It looks like I am choosing between my 2 twins!!!
HELP if you have an opinion PLEASE.....

Hi everyone!
I have the same problem! Accepted into UPenn and UCLA and can't decide...I wish I could go to both of them :)
My status: married, 2 kids in school, live in Cali about 2 hours away from UCLA, had experience in private clinic so I'm not so worried about patient pool; what it matter is I am interested in doing things that I didn't do in the past( implants, ortho, cerric unit...etc)
My observation of the schools is that both have problems with patient pool, both are brand name schools, both have great faculty.... UCLA wonderful weather vs. UPenn Ivy league...
if you to live in LA you could live 10 minutes away from school in decent neighborhood with good schools for kids, you could use your car while you in Philly you have to live probably 30-45 minutes away from school to find decent schools for your kids plus because of the distance you can't use your own car or you will stuck in rush hour traffic, so you have to rely on public transportation..
In regard to finance; I calculated the totals of both schools and UPenn was over UCLA by $20,000...this includes the preparatory course..
What else.. Ohh over all living expenses in LA is a little bit cheaper than Philly (groceries, rent, car insurance….etc)
I am still thinking about it, I had this feeling in UPenn as if I was home while in UCLA I just was happy but didn't had this warm feelings...
I am soooooo not decided yet. My first time in my life to be hesitated.. It looks like I am choosing between my 2 twins!!!
HELP if you have an opinion PLEASE.....

live in Cali about 2 hours away from UCLA, my friend this alone would have been enough and the most strongest deciding factor for me in choosing a school... CLOSE TO FAMILY!!! EASIER TRANSITION for you , yr husband and yr kids!!! i mean this is what I would have done.. but like Gabr says everyone has his and her own logic and preference!!! so go ahead with what you feel is good for you however you are not alone in this ordeal... you also have kids and family to consider so make a smart decision!!! all the best!

TRUCE Gabr!!! we both are head strong in our decisions all the best to us!! cheers :)

These is a great thread, thank you everyone for pitching in, gave me a great perspective.

I heard this advice before and completely ignored... Now that I am graduated and working I wish I had listened to the wise person who gave me this advise... But just like you I kept going back and forth with pros and cons.. Don't take me wrong, I absolutely loved the program I attended (UCLA) but now looking back at how much I owe perhaps I would have chosen a different program :/

You will learn wherever you go. You might have to work a little harder in certain schools in order to learn more (join special study groups, do mission trips etc) but in the end it will not matter much

My advice is: Go to the cheapest school.. Evaluate the cost of the program and the cost of living. That being said , Pacific would be my last option. Even though their program is amazing, the cost of living in SF is one of the highest in the US and the program is also one of the most expensive ones...

Interests for student loans are way too high at this time and salaries are not as high as they used to be in the past, specially for recent grads

Now that I am out in the market and have contact with so many recent grads from all sorts of different schools in America in my company, I noticed it doesnt really matter what school you came from...

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Hi, ilovegoldens.

I like your post and found it very informative. In case you don't mind, I have some additional questions and would like to hear your opinion.

I heard this advice before and completely ignored... Now that I am graduated and working I wish I had listened to the wise person who gave me this advise... But just like you I kept going back and forth with pros and cons.. Don't take me wrong, I absolutely loved the program I attended (UCLA) but now looking back at how much I owe perhaps I would have chosen a different program :/

My advice is: Go to the cheapest school.. Evaluate the cost of the program and the cost of living. That being said , Pacific would be my last option. Even though their program is amazing, the cost of living in SF is one of the highest in the US and the program is also one of the most expensive ones...

If you were in the same position but knowing what you know today, what other dental school would you have chosen instead ?

I also have some questions specific to UCLA based on information I've read and heard from others. The questions are:

1. Is it true that it can be difficult to find patients at UCLA or is it a myth? Rumors are that it can be difficult at times to find patients for all students at UCLA school of dentistry and I wanted to hear from someone who actually graduated from their program if these rumors are true. In case this is true how did you manage to find enough patients to meet your requirements?

2. What would you say today were the pros and cons of the PPID program at UCLA? What did you like and dislike about this program?

3. Assuming the cost for all schools you visited or where you were interviewed was the same, which one would you choose today knowing what you know?

4. Has it been easy to find employment after you graduated or did you find that the job market tend to discriminate against new graduates?

5. On your post you mention that your are working for a company. By company I assume you are working for a company that owns many offices instead of an individually owned private office. Is this right? In this case what company is this and do you like it? What are the advantages and disadvantages of working for a company owned office instead of a private one?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and answers.

I like your post and found it very informative. In case you don't mind, I have some additional questions and would like to hear your opinion.

If you were in the same position but knowing what you know today, what other dental school would you have chosen instead ?

It is very hard for me to say I would have done things differently because I had an amazing experience at the school. I met amazing friends and faculty, learned a lot and had a great time in California, my favorite place in the world! So don't take me wrong , I do not regret the choice I made.
But If I could go back in time not knowing how amazing everything turned out to be, I would have gone to UTHSCSA. I would probably have at least 40k or less in debt. The tuition was lower and the cost of living ridiculously cheaper in San Antonio

I also have some questions specific to UCLA based on information I've read and heard from others. The questions are:

1. Is it true that it can be difficult to find patients at UCLA or is it a myth? Rumors are that it can be difficult at times to find patients for all students at UCLA school of dentistry and I wanted to hear from someone who actually graduated from their program if these rumors are true. In case this is true how did you manage to find enough patients to meet your requirements?
Yes it is true. There is another school in LA and UCLA is located at a upscale neighborhood. I imagine that is the main reason for the lack of patients. However, in the end everything works out and if you work hard you will graduate with no problems. I graduated almost a year earlier. But like I said, you have to work hard and even try and bring in your own patients if possible

2. What would you say today were the pros and cons of the PPID program at UCLA? What did you like and dislike about this program?
My experience was great. I think most students would say the struggle for patients combined with a relatively strict graduation requirements.

3. Assuming the cost for all schools you visited or where you were interviewed was the same, which one would you choose today knowing what you know?
If costs were the same I believe UOP... Just because I LOVE SF and it was the only school everyone in there had only great things to say and no complaints.. But.. they pay the price for that and it ended up being the first school I rejected.

4. Has it been easy to find employment after you graduated or did you find that the job market tend to discriminate against new graduates?
Depends on where you are. Very very hard to get a decent job in California. I left the State and moved to Wisconsin where it was super easy and pay was better... It all depends on how flexible you are in terms of moving and the quality of job you are willing to accept. I was picky about the place I was going to work for. Most of my friends who stayed in Cali didnt have much of a choice.

5. On your post you mention that your are working for a company. By company I assume you are working for a company that owns many offices instead of an individually owned private office. Is this right? In this case what company is this and do you like it? What are the advantages and disadvantages of working for a company owned office instead of a private one?
Heartland. I love it and never thought I would learn so much in so little time... But that is not true for all corporate offices unfortunately. There is a lot of homework to do when interviewing for a job, but it is too soon for you to worry about it now. You will have plenty of time to worry about it later and will probably have classes and seminars about it :)

Thank you very much in advance for your help and answers.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everybody :naughty: sup! Sorry it took me so long!!
I believe by now everyone paid the deposit to their favorite school!! That's an amazing milestone ppl... *cyber hi5*

Again, no one made the wrong decision... rest assured! Do yourselves good and NEVER look back, instead look into the amazing future ahead of you!! And get excited!!!

czemeralbabe \V/ peace!!:D Goodluck

On a side not, I'd like to answer one of the points very briefly mentioned earlier... concerning what ilovegoldens said about choosing the cheapest school... this was the main reason holding me back from choosing UOP, but when I spoke to some UOP alumni, I came to the conclusion that after I graduate, I'll have to make some compromises when it comes to work places. I won't be able to jump on the first job I get, unless it's a decent paying job because of the big fat debt I'll have! This translates to me being OUT of Cali as soon as I'm done with school :) because it's really bad over there! Which I don't mind because I don't have a family to worry about... That's why I think everyone has to do their homework very well and look deeply into the future and the consequences of the decisions they'll be making!

Hey everybody :naughty: sup! Sorry it took me so long!!
I believe by now everyone paid the deposit to their favorite school!! That's an amazing milestone ppl... *cyber hi5*

Again, no one made the wrong decision... rest assured! Do yourselves good and NEVER look back, instead look into the amazing future ahead of you!! And get excited!!!

czemeralbabe \V/ peace!!:D Goodluck

On a side not, I'd like to answer one of the points very briefly mentioned earlier... concerning what ilovegoldens said about choosing the cheapest school... this was the main reason holding me back from choosing UOP, but when I spoke to some UOP alumni, I came to the conclusion that after I graduate, I'll have to make some compromises when it comes to work places. I won't be able to jump on the first job I get, unless it's a decent paying job because of the big fat debt I'll have! This translates to me being OUT of Cali as soon as I'm done with school :) because it's really bad over there! Which I don't mind because I don't have a family to worry about... That's why I think everyone has to do their homework very well and look deeply into the future and the consequences of the decisions they'll be making!

Kudos to you!! That is exactly the right attitude. Be open to the range of opportunities out there, even if that means you will have to leave California.
You will NEVER regret the choice you make. Just like me, along the way you will meet wonderful people and have amazing experiences that will be worth it all...
Yeah... it might mean you will get a little jealous of the fellow dentists you will meet after you graduate, paying half of your monthly loan hahahah, but as long as you stay positive and open to different opportunities you will be fine it doesn't matter where you go to school...

Hey did anyone from alternate status at UOP got in?