Ucla?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzyu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the AMCAS questions thread but i thought it might be wise to post it here too.

on the amcas, theres 4 schools/programs listed under UCLA: Geffen, PRIME, Drew, and Thomas Haider...it seems like they all offer MD...so which one is which? I chose Geffen caz thats the one i've heard about. Anyone know what these other ones are or if we should apply to them as well as Geffen?

I read somewhere that Drew is for underrepresented minority students? is that true? What about the other ones (PRIME, Thomas Haider)?:confused:

any help/insight would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was accepted to both Geffen and Drew and can give you some perspective on them.

Geffen = the regular 4 year MD program at UCLA. You do your 2 years and then rotate through all the UCLA affiliated Hospitals. Your degree comes from just UCLA.

Drew = 4 year program that focuses on the medically underserved. The idea is to train physicians who will want to practice in and serve underserved communities. You do the 2 pre-clinical years with the Geffen kids and then rotate at the UCLA hospitals that have a primarily underserved propulation (such as UCLA-Harbor) but you also have the option of rotating at the other UCLA affiliated hospitals as well. Drew students USED to do their rotations at MLK but the hospital lost its teaching accreditation. You also have to do a senior project (thesis) that focuses on the underserved to graduate. Your degree comes from both Drew and UCLA.

Prime = 5 year program that focuses on the medically underserved. You do the 4 year Geffen program and then take a fifth year to do an MBA, MPH, MA, etc.. that focuses somehow on the medically underserved. The idea is to train leaders in health policy, health economics, health disparities, etc.. that will go on to focus on underserved communities. I believe you might get some special funding for this fifth year (which I would be very attractive I would imagine).

Thomas Haider = a special class of 24 students that do their pre-clinical years at UC Riverside. This program is more research based/oriented and I believe that you can only get into the program if you have gone to UC Riverside for undergrad.

Hey, I was accepted to both Geffen and Drew and can give you some perspective on them.

Geffen = the regular 4 year MD program at UCLA. You do your 2 years and then rotate through all the UCLA affiliated Hospitals. Your degree comes from just UCLA.

Drew = 4 year program that focuses on the medically underserved. The idea is to train physicians who will want to practice in and serve underserved communities. You do the 2 pre-clinical years with the Geffen kids and then rotate at the UCLA hospitals that have a primarily underserved propulation (such as UCLA-Harbor) but you also have the option of rotating at the other UCLA affiliated hospitals as well. Drew students USED to do their rotations at MLK but the hospital lost its teaching accreditation. You also have to do a senior project (thesis) that focuses on the underserved to graduate. Your degree comes from both Drew and UCLA.

Prime = 5 year program that focuses on the medically underserved. You do the 4 year Geffen program and then take a fifth year to do an MBA, MPH, MA, etc.. that focuses somehow on the medically underserved. The idea is to train leaders in health policy, health economics, health disparities, etc.. that will go on to focus on underserved communities. I believe you might get some special funding for this fifth year (which I would be very attractive I would imagine).

Thomas Haider = a special class of 24 students that do their pre-clinical years at UC Riverside. This program is more research based/oriented and I believe that you can only get into the program if you have gone to UC Riverside for undergrad.
Yup - thorough response. You're correct; the Thomas Haider program is only for UC Riverside graduates. RPedigo on this forum got in.