UConn Decisions

Started by craigerct
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

craigerct said:
Have any Program "A" people heard from UConn yet?

I have not.


I applied to the B program, and had to email the director to see what the decision was after he was a week late in getting back to me. 😡 As it turns out, I was placed as an alternate for the program, but I have decided not to even wait for that and do my own post-bacc program at my state college for free. Advanced courses are advanced courses, and I already have a 3.4. If I make A's in the courses I take, I should be A-OK. Uconn has wasted enough of my time--they are not going to waste any more. Good luck though!🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats, craigerct!!

If you don't mind, could you post a brief synopsis of your stats (GPA, etc.) for those of us who are still at a loss for what exactly UCONN is looking for in a candidate. Thanks!


craigerct said:
I was just accepted to Program "A" at Uconn.

Anyone else?
 
I received a letter yesterday (what a great 4th of July weekend) putting me on the alternate list for Program B.

My gpa was 3.74, mcat 29...(I was waitlisted to the med school, that's why i applied to this)

I don't think I am going to do it even if I did get in, but why would they waitlist me? It's obviously not based on grades. I think that they are looking for ppl that would benefit from this program more than I would since they know just as I know that I don't actually need to do this. Or maybe they saw something else that they didn't like? I hope it's the first one so that I would feel better...I'm going to ask Dr. Sanford.

making money for a year would be better anyway

I also love how they time my decisions for holidays...my waitlist to the med school was during Easter, how wonderful.
 
C.P. Jones said:
I received a letter yesterday (what a great 4th of July weekend) putting me on the alternate list for Program B.

My gpa was 3.74, mcat 29...(I was waitlisted to the med school, that's why i applied to this)

I don't think I am going to do it even if I did get in, but why would they waitlist me? It's obviously not based on grades. I think that they are looking for ppl that would benefit from this program more than I would since they know just as I know that I don't actually need to do this. Or maybe they saw something else that they didn't like? I hope it's the first one so that I would feel better...I'm going to ask Dr. Sanford.

making money for a year would be better anyway

I also love how they time my decisions for holidays...my waitlist to the med school was during Easter, how wonderful.


I'm going to lean towards scenario #1 for your post bac waitlist... your stats are already quite solid... I doubt that you'd be able to raise your GPA much even with all A's in classes. Have you inquired about your status on the med school waitlist? With those stats, I can't believe that you don't still have a chance there.
 
i was placed on the "lower-third" of the waitlist. I met with Dr. Sanford and he pointed at lack of leadership and coming off as shy/nervous in interview (which I do acknowledge since I do know that I am a shy person, am nervouse during interviews, and for leadership all i've really done is captain of intramurals teams)

He also said to diversify my clinical experience since I had always volunteered at a Geriatric Home in my town. I've been attempting to address these by volunteering at Yale-New Haven Hospital and at the YMCA (the Y to increase communication skills since now that I'm out of college I can't really become the president of X Club in less than a year).

Dr. S also said that being in the lower third there is no real chance. At least he was honest with me so that I did not waste my time waiting and have already sent in my primary.

Thanks for making me feel a bit better 🙂
 
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Graduate School GPA: 3.9
Intensive Chinese language GPA: 3.8

I'm 26, have worked quite a bit, and had extensive volunteer experience with a local non-profit dedicated to helping people with autoimmune diseases.

I heard UConn received 200+ applications, interviewed 25, and accepted 12. I can't imagine trying to pick 12/200+.

Good luck to you.