UConn Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrZ123

DAT: AA/TS/PAT 21/22/21
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got 2 letters from UConn yesterday. The first confirming that my application is complete, the second inviting me for an interview!

I am excited but have heard some crazy things about interviews there...

Members don't see this ad.

Just got 2 letters from UConn yesterday. The first confirming that my application is complete, the second inviting me for an interview!

I am excited but have heard some crazy things about interviews there...

Did they come in the same mailing? I got the one confirming my application but alas, no interview. Have you read the threads on the dental forum? Its making me verrryyyy worried!!!

They arrived at the same time. However the complete application letter is dated 8/30 and the interview letter is 9/5.

Seems like UConn may not be the best of places, but people are sometimes a bit nuts as well. I will decide for myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
They arrived at the same time. However the complete application letter is dated 8/30 and the interview letter is 9/5.

Seems like UConn may not be the best of places, but people are sometimes a bit nuts as well. I will decide for myself.

I spoke too soon- when I got home from work I had the second letter waiting from UCONN. Have you scheduled yours yet?

Yep. Oct 16th for me! You?

Yep. Oct 16th for me! You?

I'm going to do it first thing in the morning. At first got really excited about this because its my first travelling interview (I work at the UNC dental school so I'm travelling maybe 50 feet from my office!) but then I got worried! Where do you stay? how do you get there? cars? planes? trains? pack-mules? AHHhhh. I know this is stuff I can figure out by myself but I thought I'd just throw my emotions out there- anybody else feel this way about interviews?

Hey, everybody. Congrats on your interviews. My wife handed me over the interview letter as I came out of class. It felt AWESOME! Is anyone planning to be there on Oct 13th?

I'm going to do it first thing in the morning. At first got really excited about this because its my first travelling interview (I work at the UNC dental school so I'm travelling maybe 50 feet from my office!) but then I got worried! Where do you stay? how do you get there? cars? planes? trains? pack-mules? AHHhhh. I know this is stuff I can figure out by myself but I thought I'd just throw my emotions out there- anybody else feel this way about interviews?

Pearlywhite, I totally feel it. But it takes 17 hrs to get up there from my home, so I decided to fly. FYI, from Charlotte (CLT) to Hartford (BDL), there are some pretty cheap tickets thru Northwest (around $150 incl. tax). So if you're interested, check it out. I don't know about hotels or anything else yet, but I'm sure it'll all come through. Just happy to get the interview! :)

Hi guys! Here's a list of hotels nearby UConn: http://sdm.uchc.edu/about/accommodations.shtml

I'm going to be interviewing there September 22nd. I was lucky enough to be able to combine my 3 east coast interviews into one trip -- thank goodness I won't have to make three long plane trips! :) Hotels.com and orbitz.com are good places to look for hotel and plane deals; I've booked all of mine so far through there. I'm staying at a hotel about 10-15 miles away from UConn because it was a better value than the ones nearby, and I'm able to get a ride. But there are a few places that are closer, and they might have shuttle transport available.

i recommend staying at the farmington inn-- notify them you're there for a uconn interview and they'll give you a good fare ($80/night when i was there)... that hotel is amazing
(and the pizza shop across from it is the best around)

also, you'll definitely need a rental car so plan in advance from bradley

i recommend staying at the farmington inn-- notify them you're there for a uconn interview and they'll give you a good fare ($80/night when i was there)... that hotel is amazing
(and the pizza shop across from it is the best around)

also, you'll definitely need a rental car so plan in advance from bradley

Yeah, I second the Farmington Inn... I stayed there for my med school interview. Cheap, clean, quiet, and within a couple of miles of the school. :luck:

Pearlywhite, I totally feel it. But it takes 17 hrs to get up there from my home, so I decided to fly. FYI, from Charlotte (CLT) to Hartford (BDL), there are some pretty cheap tickets thru Northwest (around $150 incl. tax). So if you're interested, check it out. I don't know about hotels or anything else yet, but I'm sure it'll all come through. Just happy to get the interview! :)

Does anybody know where the closest airport is- is it Hartford? Are there other airports in the area?

Does anybody know where the closest airport is- is it Hartford? Are there other airports in the area?
The closest airport is Bradley International Airport and apparently in addition, there is a $50 cab ride from the airport to Farmington in order to get to the health center. Furthermore, the school will send you a confirmation package with date, time and hotels etc. Hope this helps!

The closest airport is Bradley International Airport and apparently in addition, there is a $50 cab ride from the airport to Farmington in order to get to the health center. Furthermore, the school will send you a confirmation package with date, time and hotels etc. Hope this helps!

I just called the Farmington Inn to ask about transportation to and from the airport to the Inn to the Medical Center and they were SO HELPFUL! They said that from Sunday nights to Friday afternoons they will come and pick you up at the airport if they can. They also offered to drive me to the interview and back.
In case anybody else wants to give them a try- the transportation coordinators name is Gene and her number is 860-677-1651 ext 5270. The lady at the main desk just told me to call back Gene when I had my flight and she would be able to tell me when somebody could be at the airport.

haha, I guess the next step is ACTUALLY scheduling the interview. I was trying to find good airfare and a hotel before I got my date. A little backwards but hey, I'm trying to save some $$$$$

Yeah, because I'm debating on whether to go on a monday or friday, to fly or drive 10 hrs because I'm from Michigan....because i saw it's a 50 buck cab fair from the airport, but it's that thing that goes hand in hand, spend more money for less time to get there, or spend less money and takes longer to get there...and I wish I could drive by myself there, but knowing my parents they'll be worried since my siblings had bf or gf that could keep them company and such. Any advice on this?

I have a similar 10 hour drive from NC. I am choosing to fly because gas is tres expensive and I don't want to spend 20 hours in a car anyway.
I've booked my interview for Friday November 3rd. I know it seems far away but it was the first date that worked with my work/class/life schedule. I asked and the admissions lady told me that I would still be fine interviewing in November.

Yep I arrange all my complimentary transportation through avon farms. I originally planned to stay at farmington inn but the shuttles are based on avon farms so I guess chances of being late to something is minimized.