UCONN Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhamtse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I have my interview at UCONN next Friday and I am extremely nervous. If any of you have already been to an interview at UCONN or any other school...please let me as to how it went...was it really dreadful or laid back? How many interviewers are there...do you need to bring anything? How long does the interview last? :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey Lhamo,,

if you go back to pages 3-4, y'll find lots of info about interviews. there is a post specifically on UConn interviews....
godd luck...

Comet208

Members don't see this ad :)
hi lhamtse,

i had my uconn interview on monday. the drive is about 2 hrs from boston. the interview started at 9am. the assistant dean came out and gave you some articles and brochure about the school, then you'd follow him into a conference room. that day, they interviewed 5 candidates.

while in the conference room, the assistant dean talked to you about the school, the curriculum and what makes UConn diff from other schools. he then told you your chances of acceptance, which is about 50:50 when you're interviewed. the meeting lasted about 2.5 hours that day, maybe bc it was a holiday, i dont know. personally, i thought it was a bit long and rather boring. after that, he took our pictures.

around 12, the D4 came to bring you to lunch, you have a coupon of 6 dollars. the food in the caferteria is cheap. anyway, after lunch, you have about 40 min to tour the school and its facilities. then at 1pm, they began interviewing. again, when i was there, it was a holiday, so i dont know if they ran it differently than the regular days. there was no schedule, you just sat there and waited until they called your name for interview. they said it'd last about 20 - 30 min. for mine, i was 2nd to last and it lasted about 45 min.

the format is 2 interviewers to 1 interviewee, and one of the interviewers came out and got me. we went into a room with a big conference table. i was really nervous when i saw how they spread out my AADSAS confirmation sheet-look-alike. they circled my drops/repeats etc, highlighted my personal statements with different colors, my letters of recommendations...basically, everything that i and the AADSAS sent them laid out infront of me. my tips are ... stay really calm...you'll need to know your statement really well all the research experiences that you mentioned, what you did and the results. they asked me how i prep for my DAT exam, why i chose my major, what i wanted to be doing in 10/15 yrs....

remember to ask questions...things like, the ratio of instructor: students; transcribing services, prep courses for the national boards, campus safety etc...it's important to ask questions even if you had heard the answers fr the dental student who gave you a tour bc it shows that you're interested in their school.

remember to re-read your statement, all the extracurricular activities that you did, all the research experiences, work experiences and stay CALM...dont freak out like i did when i saw all of my application stuff laid there on the table... anyway, i hope you do well at the interview, remember you have a 50:50 chance to get in there...stay calm and know your stuff. one question: have you been interviewed at tufts? if yes, how did it go? lemme know if this helps.

-sally

Hey Sally,
Thanks so much for the details and the tips. I feel a little better now. I am going to make sure that I go over my statement and research experiences. Also, I didn't receive an interview offer from Tufts. They said that I need to make some corrections to my AADSAS application when none of the other schools that I had applied to cared. It is really frustrating because it takes a while for the correction forms to get processed. Anyhow....wish you all the best with the rest of your interviews.
Thanks Again,
Lhamo

Hey Comet...thanks for the tip...I will see you tomorrow....Lhamo

sallycinnamon. Although I am going to apply next year, I really think you describe your interview clearly and it really helps us. Let us know your following interviewS (I know you will have many :) ) By the way, do you know people's average status for Case Western U? Thanks!