uconn post bacc program A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrFeelgoodMD

below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you could help me to know what that program looks for in an applicant...I know it is selective so if someone who has a good insight into what they like to see, I would be very grateful.

Thanks again,

J 🙂
 
im sure you could find another uconn postbac thread around the forums if you did a search. It would be a better resource then me. But i believe it probably looks for candidates who have strong crednetials, meaning decent GPA, MCAT (im not even sure if this is required- needless to say I didn't apply so I dont know much about this), etc. etc. their website probably will give you some idea
 
UVMTrifecta said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you could help me to know what that program looks for in an applicant...I know it is selective so if someone who has a good insight into what they like to see, I would be very grateful.

Thanks again,

J 🙂

I was recently accepted into UConn A, so here are my stats. I hope this helps!

Undergrad GPA: 3.67 (most competitive liberal arts school, transferred there from an ivy league university, non-science major)
Science GPA: 3.78
SAT (just because they ask on most apps): >1450
3 post-grad certificates in different kinds of alternative medicine
one year of postbac classes done a la carte at local college (general chem/bio)
one year volunteer experience at hospital
some volunteer research experience
no MCAT
Connecticut resident (well, 1 month away from being official)

Got into these post-bac programs:
UConn
Yale
Hunter/CUNY
Columbia
Manhattanville

Denied from:
NYU

A former UConn post-baccer said that they like an eclectic group. I think maybe all my alternative medicine stuff helped--my interviewer said he had never interviewed anyone with my background. So, don't be afraid to let your unique side shine during those brutal 3 single-spaced pages of supplementary essays!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so im guessing they give preference to CT residents over out of state? (which is what I am....i live in MA)
 
UVMTrifecta said:
so im guessing they give preference to CT residents over out of state? (which is what I am....i live in MA)

Not sure--I can tell you in a month or so when I meet the other folks in the program. Nothing was said about preferring CT residents during the interview process.
 
UConn is a public school therefore in state residents are given preference.