• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

UCONN postbac

johnnymat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Cambridge, MA.
  1. Pre-Medical
    Ada2004 said:
    I am pretty sure is at the Storrs campus.

Hey, I am a ct. post bacc candidate (academic record enhancer) and was wondering if anybody knew anything about the program, it seems to have a very high med. school matriculation rate and a seemingly attractive linkage agreement. Does anyone know how selective admission is to the post-bacc program?

About the Ads
    johnnymat said:
    Hey, I am a ct. post bacc candidate (academic record enhancer) and was wondering if anybody knew anything about the program, it seems to have a very high med. school matriculation rate and a seemingly attractive linkage agreement. Does anyone know how selective admission is to the post-bacc program?
    From what I've read in previous posts it appears to be very competitive to get into, only accepting a handful of people each year.

dca_55

10+ Year Member
    May 13, 2004
      I'm planning on applying to this program too (Plan B, academic enhancer). Based on the small size of the program and the uconn med admissions statistics, it seems that a significant percentage of uconn postbacs go into uconn med. I was wondering if the percentage of uconn postbaccs accepted into uconn med is equally distributed between the career-changers (Plan A) and academic enhancers (Plan B), or if it's heavier one way or the other. Also, do they expect Plan B students to take a "lag year" before applying to Uconn med or are they usually accepted to start right after the postbacc year?

AGR

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Feb 20, 2005
        dca_55 said:
        I'm planning on applying to this program too (Plan B, academic enhancer). Based on the small size of the program and the uconn med admissions statistics, it seems that a significant percentage of uconn postbacs go into uconn med. I was wondering if the percentage of uconn postbaccs accepted into uconn med is equally distributed between the career-changers (Plan A) and academic enhancers (Plan B), or if it's heavier one way or the other. Also, do they expect Plan B students to take a "lag year" before applying to Uconn med or are they usually accepted to start right after the postbacc year?

A signif amount do go into UCONN Med. I'm sure it's not equally distributed between A and B programs only b/c I don't think the enrollment is evenly distributed. Because of the small numbers(12-15), I'm sure they are after the best candidate regardless of which program you are in. Here is another thing, I think they offer a contingency acceptance to about a third of the entering class. Here, your pre-post bac numbers must really stack up and be stellar, but it would be nice to have some sort of acceptance upfront. All that is left to do is perform to the agreement offered and you're in. I'm not sure about the glide year. I think a lot will depend on when you plan on finishing course work and when you take the MCAT. I don't think there is a mandatory glide year like many of the other programs.

tchantel21

tchantel21
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Mar 9, 2005
        Stamford CT
          johnnymat said:

Its pretty competitive -- I can't remember the exact number but i know they take less than 15 students. Applicant's typically have B-/B+ average. Some students are offered contingent admissions. You have to maintain a B+ and make at least a 27 on the mcat. Most students do well; like u said matriculation rate is very high @ 85% so even if u don't link with UConn, you'll def. have options by the end of it.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.