Uconn & stonybrook questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeanniebluebird

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between a few schools and would love to hear anyones input, especially current students or alumni of Uconn or Stonybrook on the following:

- Is the school well respected by specialty programs directors? Is it up there with the Ivys, UCLA etc?

- During the interview Dr Thibodeau kept repeating "extremely demanding curriculum".. Is Uconn really much harder than any other school? Am i going to be a zombie for four years?

- How big is the class size for didactic classes (dental + med students) ?

- My stonybrook interview was pretty bad, my interviewer told me he didnt even read my file and was pretty disinterested, but i got in. Does this reflect on the disiniterest of some/most professors there for their students? ( all he wanted to do was push some internet company that he owned on me, gave me a flyer and everything)

- How do these two schools compare to eachother?

Please share any positive or negative experiences you have had at these schools

Members don't see this ad.

jeanniebluebird said:
- My stonybrook interview was pretty bad, my interviewer told me he didnt even read my file and was pretty disinterested, but i got in. Does this reflect on the disiniterest of some/most professors there for their students? ( all he wanted to do was push some internet company that he owned on me, gave me a flyer and everything)

I think I had the same interviewer!! I was seriously disappointed with my interview experience there and felt disrespected. I'm also curious to know how others who had the opportunity to meet the faculty feel about them...

After talking with some students at UCONN, I realized that the curriculum is in fact extremely demanding. There are definitely much easier ways to get through dental school. You have to learn a bunch of stuff you might not otherwise study at other schools (i.e. anatomy of the foot), and for some students that is a negative. I believe that the med school class is about 100 students, so you will be taking courses with around 140 others, if I'm not mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fat_Man said:
After talking with some students at UCONN, I realized that the curriculum is in fact extremely demanding. There are definitely much easier ways to get through dental school. You have to learn a bunch of stuff you might not otherwise study at other schools (i.e. anatomy of the foot), and for some students that is a negative. I believe that the med school class is about 100 students, so you will be taking courses with around 140 others, if I'm not mistaken.

This week at uconn they are learning about the head and neck anatomy in OS1. That has nothing to do with anything :) but anyways, the med class at uconn is actually 80 students. and dental this last year was 39. So you do the math.

jeanniebluebird said:
I am trying to decide between a few schools and would love to hear anyones input, especially current students or alumni of Uconn or Stonybrook

I guess it depends on the interviewer. Each interviewer has his or her own style of finding out about your personality, and I guess you just got unlucky with the bad interviewer. My interviewer for Stony Brook was really nice. I liked the fact that it was a nice and relaxing conversation, and not a Q&A style interview session. Coincidentally, she's a Cornell alum and I'm a senior at Cornell and we ended up talking about our experiences at Cornell during most of the interview

Any stonybrook students out there? What are your professors like?