UConn vs. Einstein vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi all! I am really grateful to have had multiple acceptances this cycle and I know that it is a privilege to have options.

A little bit about me. I have had experiences teaching grade school, working in neurosurgery, ophthalmology, EM etc. While I have loved optho and neurosurgery, I also am attracted toward primary care and I am very open to exploring other fields. I have clinical research experience and will likely continue in medical school, but I don't have strong interests in becoming a top researcher. I love mentoring and teaching. I am very collaborative and have always loved working in team settings.

I am very easy going and I think I would truly be happy anywhere and/or would try to make the best of it. With that said, I know reputation can become important in matching for residencies, especially with competitive fields. Right now, I have narrowed down to only 3 schools (Einstein, Jeff, Rush and UConn) and I am leaning toward going to my in-state school, UConn. I talked to some residency directors and I have been told UConn, Jefferson, and Einstein are all within the same general category in terms of rank/reputation but wanted to hear if anyone thought otherwise?

Possibly due to immigrant parents who have accumulated debt in America, I am a VERY financially responsible and aware student and consider every little cost. I put my self through college and still have outstanding undergrad loans and I find it very hard to pass up in-state tuition.

Uconn
Pros
- instate tuition
- driving distance from home ~1 hour (have had a lot of fam emergencies, and this gives me peace of mind)
- most spacious living situation in a condo (b/c it is not a city)
- very collaborative and nurturing environment
- own hospital
- amazing pre-clinical professors who care
-cheapest COA
Cons
- not a true city (could be a pro as well, more nature, less distraction, etc.)
- possibly slightly less competitive match list (although I don't really think so)
- not as well known?

Jeff
Pros
- center city, very fun place to live/train
-great optho/ortho programs
- big class size (also a con in terms of rotations/preferences, but greater chance to meet more people)
-huge alumni network due to big class size
- cool design track
- extremely nurturing/friendly student environment
- great match list
- loved interview day vibe, would get along well with students
- best friend will be in PENN for grad school
Cons
- furthest from home
- havent looked into housing (probably the most expensive)
- high cost of living in Philly
- not as strong of support system
-never been to philly (also a pro ... but hard to adjust + load of med school?)

Einstein

Pros
- driving distance from home <1 hour
- cheapest housing right in front of campus
- name?/ strong match list in NYC (not tied to matching in NYC at all, but high possibility)
- reputation in NYC?
- strong research program (although I feel like I could get research anywhere?)
- serving underserved populations
- strong surgery?
Cons
- Bronx is not Manhattan or Philly (not true "city")
- buildings are kind of dark/old (did research there in high school, so it may have changed)
- not as warm? students not as collaborative? I couldn't get a vibe from students or interviews.
- Administration has definitely been the least welcoming compared to Jeff and UConn.
- does it attract very intense pre-meds?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you like UConn the most, really want to go there, and limit debt. I'd agree that there is negligible "prestige" difference here.

Reactions: 4 users
Anothere factor to consider about UConn is that they strongly favor their own grads in their residency programs, so if you want to stay in the area longterm, that can be beneficial.

Reactions: 1 users