Uconn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please, get over yourself. As of now, we are no more of a professional than a server at Dairy Queen. If you choose to go to Uconn (and I hope you do, as you sound like you need a rude awakening from your idealism), I hope your family enjoys front row seats in the parking lot at your graduation. If you want a polarized experience in clinic, shadow the clinic at UoP. Until you yourself, or someone you know very well has completed the duration of the 4 years, then please, feel free to defend it, with more specifics than a generic barrage of the "professional tempering."

You must be joking. These forums exist precisely to share negative and positive experiences about interviews, schooling, curricula, and life aside from the didactics. You have no right to censor any dialogue.

However, while you are on your maturity box, perhaps you can spot the paradox in your own advice. Personal insults are fine, but insults against an institution (ie Uconn) are not ?

Get over that graduation. I really don't base my decision on where the graduation takes place! Are even a dental or predental student or just hear to voice your complaints about standing in a parking lot for 45 minutes while your big brother got his diploma?

Members don't see this ad.

Please, get over yourself. As of now, we are no more of a professional than a server at Dairy Queen. If you choose to go to Uconn (and I hope you do, as you sound like you need a rude awakening from your idealism), I hope your family enjoys front row seats in the parking lot at your graduation. If you want a polarized experience in clinic, shadow the clinic at UoP. Until you yourself, or someone you know very well has completed the duration of the 4 years, then please, feel free to defend it, with more specifics than a generic barrage of the "professional tempering."

You must be joking. These forums exist precisely to share negative and positive experiences about interviews, schooling, curricula, and life aside from the didactics. You have no right to censor any dialogue.

However, while you are on your maturity box, perhaps you can spot the paradox in your own advice. Personal insults are fine, but insults against an institution (ie Uconn) are not ?

Get over that graduation. I really don't base my decision on where the graduation takes place! Are even a dental or predental student or just hear to voice your complaints about standing in a parking lot for 45 minutes while your big brother got his diploma?

And first of all, are you calling it a 'personal insult' when I simply ask someone to refrain from bashing the school I'm going to? Is it an insult when your parents tell you to watch your mouth? Is it insulting to you to be told thta you're talking inappropriately by someone else. I think someone deems it right to tell you to watch your mouth, than you must be doing something wrong. Take responsibility and it's okay to apologize every now and then, it really is. Maybe the word you’re looking for is embarrassing. I think it's more embarrassing to be put in your place than insulting.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow! Holy-- your info makes perfect sense.. that's real talk!! and keep it up!

And first of all, are you calling it a 'personal insult' when I simply ask someone to refrain from bashing the school I'm going to? Is it an insult when your parents tell you to watch your mouth? Is it insulting to you to be told thta you're talking inappropriately by someone else. I think someone deems it right to tell you to watch your mouth, than you must be doing something wrong. Take responsibility and it's okay to apologize every now and then, it really is. Maybe the word you’re looking for is embarrassing. I think it's more embarrassing to be put in your place than insulting.

Hey Chris,
I do not think it is worth getting angry and taking things personally from this forum. You seem to know alot about the school and thus you have a right to defend it but not to stress over the arguement. You posted 4 times in a row without anyone replying; that spells anger to me. So just relax, and focus on your finals. You know what they say: Do not argue with a fool, ppl may not diffrentiate who is who. I am not calling anybody anything, I am only trying to bring the issue to a sane level of communication. Gl all on finals and enjoy your break, off of this forum that is.

Hey Chris,
I do not think it is worth getting angry and taking things personally from this forum. You seem to know alot about the school and thus you have a right to defend it but not to stress over the arguement. You posted 4 times in a row without anyone replying; that spells anger to me. So just relax, and focus on your finals. You know what they say: Do not argue with a fool, ppl may not diffrentiate who is who. I am not calling anybody anything, I am only trying to bring the issue to a sane level of communication. Gl all on finals and enjoy your break, off of this forum that is.

I actually posted the same message several times on accident (my computer needs some serious work!). But you're absolutely right, this forum is just not worth getting frustrated over. I guess I made my point by defending my school and I'll just leave it at that. I appreciate you pointing this out to me. This forum can actually get quite addicting and I don't normally do this, so I guess it's time to take a step back and just chill out. By the way are you going to UConn dental next year, and are you in the pre-dental scociety? I'm just curious as to who you are, I don't normally see UConn students on this forum.:)

I actually posted the same message several times on accident (my computer needs some serious work!). But you're absolutely right, this forum is just not worth getting frustrated over. I guess I made my point by defending my school and I'll just leave it at that. I appreciate you pointing this out to me. This forum can actually get quite addicting and I don't normally do this, so I guess it's time to take a step back and just chill out. By the way are you going to UConn dental next year, and are you in the pre-dental scociety? I'm just curious as to who you are, I don't normally see UConn students on this forum.:)

I got accepted into UConn dental but leaning more towards UPenn. I did attend the PDC for a while but these days they are not doing as good of a job with it. I mean I am not trying to bring the ppl down but they need some work. I never knew who you were until I saw you interviewed at Harvard and then you caught my attention, but I dont care now :smuggrin: anyhow, you seem like a nice guy and with good intentions. If I were you, I would attend the PDC more often since about 5 of the ppl from there will be attending UConn with you, although I have to warn you that they are alittle stuck up. I do not like CT and am ready to move to a city. as to who I am, I am sorry I can't let you know

I got accepted into UConn dental but leaning more towards UPenn. I did attend the PDC for a while but these days they are not doing as good of a job with it. I mean I am not trying to bring the ppl down but they need some work. I never knew who you were until I saw you interviewed at Harvard and then you caught my attention, but I dont care now :smuggrin: anyhow, you seem like a nice guy and with good intentions. If I were you, I would attend the PDC more often since about 5 of the ppl from there will be attending UConn with you, although I have to warn you that they are alittle stuck up. I do not like CT and am ready to move to a city. as to who I am, I am sorry I can't let you know

Are you Batman?

Are you Batman?

You know my cousin? damn man I thought he was laying low. it is not that serious but it is only a forum and identities are not worth revealing due to many reasons.

may i ask what is the idea behind the pharoe? Is it the King part? or is it a personal fetish...

LOL, Well I just figured since my sn is KingChris I'd put a picture of a king in as my avatar. I don't have a fetish of dead kings..lol

LOL, Well I just figured since my sn is KingChris I'd put a picture of a king in as my avatar. I don't have a fetish of dead kings..lol

Listen, What happened with Penn? did you cancel your interview?
What classes are you taking next semester? Are you in 219? I feel like kicking some one's butt in a class and it's time to find a new target.lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Listen, What happened with Penn? did you cancel your interview?
What classes are you taking next semester? Are you in 219? I feel like kicking some one's butt in a class and it's time to find a new target.lol

LOL, you'll have to find a different target kiddo, I'm a tough one to beat. I'm not taking 219 btw. And I'm not sure yet if I am going to Penn. And how did u know that I was in ur 295 class?

No, I consider it a personal insult when you refer to me as kid who is better off doing his homework. FYI, if you're legally of age to drink, we're around the same age. FYI, you don't have a right to tell anyone not to comment about your school.

I don't care what school you go to. Stating what I know of interactions I have seen at UCONN, and have heard from those who graduated is not inappropriate. If you don't like to hear bad things about your school, don't read. These forums are wide open discussion.

It;s the simplest of all binaries - turn off your computer, or continue to read. Take responsibility for your own inappropriate comments. The only thing you have put in place is your own immaturity in discourse.

LOL, you'll have to find a different target kiddo, I'm a tough one to beat. I'm not taking 219 btw. And I'm not sure yet if I am going to Penn. And how did u know that I was in ur 295 class?

yep

Another Uconn thread. phenomenal.

I'm currently an upperclassmen at Uconn. Having read some of the comments, I'd have to say some of it is true. It's an institution where you have to constantly watch where you step after your second year. The advice that was offered was spot on. You will be analyzed from the moment you step through the door in the tone you voice questions, where you sit in the lecture room, and who you sit with. Don't say too little, but don't say too much, staying the hell away from anything too personal. Unfortunately, being polite and cordial in encounters is rarely enough to gain favor. And gaining someone's angst... well, you're only one comment away. It really does feel like tiptoing around.

Here's my list of pro's and con's.

1) Uconn is great for the $. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for.
2) Farmington isn't a bad place to live. It's clean, safe, though a bit on the boring side, even though fifty cent lives here.
3) You'll receive a great didactic education.
4) If you want to specialize, I hope you are masterful at brown-nosing, and have no semblance of dignity. This, and do well on your boards.
5) Graduating in a parking lot isn't the end of the world, but it also is not where I imagined I would receive my doctorate degree. Graduations are really for families, and not a congratulatory moment of realized self-greatness. It just shows a lackluster effort on Uconn's part to make the event nice for families.

king-spades.png

How 'bout using this?

You are a tough target? What classes have you taken so far?

here are my classes I have taken that maybe you have been in:
Chem 127/128 with hurley as test writer
Bio 107 with Dr. Bruno, as about her if you want, she was kicked out after teaching that class bc of how tough she were.
Chem 243/244/245
Phys 131/132
MCB 200/203/210/229/213/299
PNB 250 w/ crivello
science GPA 4.0

I am not bragging I am only comparing, I mean your S GPA is what 3.5? gl in dental school bro, I am sure you will do great.

Oh and about how I know your indentity,
There are only 2 chris's in PDC on facebook and you are the only one graduating in 07. I tell you, that facebook is something.

Woah, you're a little overly competetive for me and little stalkerish too I might add. That's a red flag to me so I'm afraid this will be my last post to you. First of all I don't even know what 'facebook' is and secondly, I'm not even in the PDS. I don't compare numbers and stuff, thats just not me. I will tell you this though, schools look at a lot more than gpa, a lot more, especially Harvard. I am honored to have been selected to be interviewed and accepted to some of the best schools in the country and I feel no need to compare numbers with you. You have no idea who I am and let's keep it that way. Life is much more than a gpa, a its balance. I have chosen to allocate my time towards getting research publications, spending time with my family, volunteering, and doing things I enjoy. I am flattered that you feel the need to compete with me, but seriously what's the point? You have already gotten into dental school. Just relax and enjoy your year, and goodluck next year wherever you end up going.

Woah, you're a little overly competetive for me and little stalkerish too I might add. That's a red flag to me so I'm afraid this will be my last post to you. First of all I don't even know what 'facebook' is and secondly, I'm not even in the PDS. I don't compare numbers and stuff, thats just not me. I will tell you this though, schools look at a lot more than gpa, a lot more, especially Harvard. I am honored to have been selected to be interviewed and accepted to some of the best schools in the country and I feel no need to compare numbers with you. You have no idea who I am and let's keep it that way. Life is much more than a gpa, a its balance. I have chosen to allocate my time towards getting research publications, spending time with my family, volunteering, and doing things I enjoy. I am flattered that you feel the need to compete with me, but seriously what's the point? You have already gotten into dental school. Just relax and enjoy your year, and goodluck next year wherever you end up going.

I may have given out the wrong impression there. I didn't mean it that way, but either way I have to agree this whole thing is creepy. I have also had my share of life away from studying and so do not make me look like a close minded nerd who cares only about numbers. It was a joke and was misunderstood. anyhow, I agree that we should end this here. Oh and the facebook thing, nice lie :thumbup: but totally understood. GL on finals and with whatever you do...sorry if I offended you. I will erase that post either way.

Your claims to know so many faculty and students at UConn adn to have shdowed as part of the AEGD program make no sense, unless maybe you are the child of a faculty member. Or, perhaps you are a faculty memberhere in disguise (my guess). You sure are defending the school A LOT.

Next time if you want to be more convincing, tone it down a bit.

I don't think anyone takes to heart what a little boy says about his older brothers experiences. You have no idea what your talking about and further more, we base our decisions on a little more than where graduation takes place. Im sorry your still bitter about standing in the parking lot at your brothers graduation. Get over it and stop talking on this forum, this is a forum for people who are going to be doctors, not to listen to their baby brothers whining. Don't you have some homework to do or somthing?

Yeah, believe it or not my problem was actually that I said "too little". Can you imagine. Here a am an insanely busy wife and trying to adopt a baby and they were pissed off because I went home at 5PM instead of schmoozing! And, YES, they told me that exactly! They also claimed I didn't eat lunch with other people, which was utter bull****. I just wasn't eating lunch with *the right people*.

Another Uconn thread. phenomenal.

I'm currently an upperclassmen at Uconn. Having read some of the comments, I'd have to say some of it is true. It's an institution where you have to constantly watch where you step after your second year. The advice that was offered was spot on. You will be analyzed from the moment you step through the door in the tone you voice questions, where you sit in the lecture room, and who you sit with. Don't say too little, but don't say too much, staying the hell away from anything too personal. Unfortunately, being polite and cordial in encounters is rarely enough to gain favor. And gaining someone's angst... well, you're only one comment away. It really does feel like tiptoing around.

Here's my list of pro's and con's.

1) Uconn is great for the $. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for.
2) Farmington isn't a bad place to live. It's clean, safe, though a bit on the boring side, even though fifty cent lives here.
3) You'll receive a great didactic education.
4) If you want to specialize, I hope you are masterful at brown-nosing, and have no semblance of dignity. This, and do well on your boards.
5) Graduating in a parking lot isn't the end of the world, but it also is not where I imagined I would receive my doctorate degree. Graduations are really for families, and not a congratulatory moment of realized self-greatness. It just shows a lackluster effort on Uconn's part to make the event nice for families.

Amen, brother/sister. EVERYONE here, every faculty member knows my name, they know where I live and so on. Not only do I have nothing to gain, I have a lot to lose by sharing my experiences here. And, I still haven't completely found the way to say it all. Unfortunately I've deleted a few emails which would weaken my case if I ever got sued for stating everyhting here. Hence, I'm still rather careful about what I say.

I graduated from UConn already. I have nothing to gain by telling you this stuff. If you want to experience it for yourself, so be it.

Being the ultimate sycophant was key for me. :thumbup:
I actually did pretty well...pretty well on exams, pretty well with fellow students, pretty well with the faculty (with the exception of a few, but that will happen anywhere). But I consider myself fortunate. It is so easy to just breath and find out you pissed off someone. Plus, your support system of friends gets decreased pretty quickly when so many of them are going through so many crises and you have to be there to support them all.

Advice on surviving UCONN: Don't talk too much or too little, be at all functions, do well on all exams, get in good with the right professors (listen to the grapevine), pay attention to the politics, agree with profs on everything, smile but not too much, and if you do happen to take a breath around the wrong prof then just grovel...luckily, one of the worst profs to get on the wrong side of is gone now...he is endo dept head elsewhere...lucky them!

You are just getting TOO ANGRY over a program you haven't even attended yet. That's ludicrous. You are taking this personally. Who are you really????

I do want to say one thing here. THere are numerous wonderful people (great teachers, real people, with a sense of humanity) at UConn. I bow to many profs there. It's the few who ruin the school. They just WON't get rid of them!

I do want to say one thing here. THere are numerous wonderful people (great teachers, real people, with a sense of humanity) at UConn. I bow to many profs there. It's the few who ruin the school. They just WON't get rid of them!

So if you had to choose again, would you pick UConn? What if your other option was an extra $70k?

This person start getting to me a long time ago....now it's just getting rediculous. KingChris, please take a step back and find more positive ways to contribute to SDN.

To UConn students:
They care about who you eat lunch with???? that's insane!

To anyone else making a decision: in general, I would believe someone who is attending or graduated from the school you are considering. As much information as predents have, there is only a certain amount of data and impressions (no pun intended) you can obtain with shadowing and inquiring. It's a HUGE investment of time, money, and 4 years of your soul...so visit as much as you can and talk to people who are there living it.

To UConn students: They care about who you eat lunch with???? that's insane!

It's not so much that they "care," it's that they find utterly ridiculous things to pick on students about. if it's not one thing, it'll be something else. Even if you prove them wrong about something, they'll come back with "well, what we really meant was..." All BS

It's not so much that they "care," it's that they find utterly ridiculous things to pick on students about. if it's not one thing, it'll be something else. Even if you prove them wrong about something, they'll come back with "well, what we really meant was..." All BS

You are just so committed to bashing UConn that I'm actually starting to believe you. If you were just slightly pissed off I don't think you'd be on as much. They obviously ticked you off! I just can't comprehend why they make it such an aweful place to be!

I'm still lost as to what to do. I've got a few west coast schools to pick from but some are alot more pricey than UConn. Maybe I'd get a better experience at the higher price....

O, and would you say they GENERALLY pick on all students or did they just happen to pick you as their person to pick on that year?

So if you had to choose again, would you pick UConn?

HELL NO! Or rather, let me pose the question to you this way: Would you choose to be emotionally battered?

What if your other option was an extra $70k?

The answer is still: HELL NO!

Consider this: consider the amount you will spend on counseling after you graduate (I lost about 1.5 yrs to depression after ds at UConn)...consider the fact that you might get so depressed you fail a year or two (not uncommon) and then you have to pay for that extra year plus lose a year of practicing...consider things you can't put a price on like your emotional well-being (1.5 yrs is a lot of time lost to an illness)

Everyone is able to pay off their debts after dental school, even those that graduate from Tufts and Harvard. So go where you will be happiest. That's what my parents said, but I didn't listen. They were right. I didn't make that mistake in my residency. I went where I felt comfortable, regardless of the pay.

The only reason I would do it again would be for my wife...she went to UConn too. She stood by me through my depression and was just supportive. Happy Birthday, Sweetie!

You are just so committed to bashing UConn that I'm actually starting to believe you. If you were just slightly pissed off I don't think you'd be on as much. They obviously ticked you off! I just can't comprehend why they make it such an aweful place to be!

I'm still lost as to what to do. I've got a few west coast schools to pick from but some are alot more pricey than UConn. Maybe I'd get a better experience at the higher price....

As I said, --> cause and effect. You can't have something w/ nothing. The degree and amount of complaints leads to credence to something actually happening.

O, and would you say they GENERALLY pick on all students or did they just happen to pick you as their person to pick on that year?

Everyone gets picked on a bit; some more than others; there are varying levels. It has a lot to do with which prof picks on you and how f'ed up they are and how vindictive they are. Problem is, if one complains about you to admin, admin believes them and jumps on board regardless of the evidence that proves that prof wrong.

Do yourself a favor and don't try to find out if the "hype" is true.

If I knew I would have the same experience again? There's no way in hell and I'll tell you why.

I wonder what it has ultimately cost me to have had some of the experiences I had at UCOnn. I wonder what it's done to my health. I'm a cancer survivor and stress is very bad for anyone's body, and I am particularly fearful because of my health background. I don't need my immunity compromised. The stress levels I experienced definitely threatened my immunity. It remains to be seen what the ultimate toll on my body will be.

Therefore you couldn't pay me enough to go through those experiences again. I feel that my very life could be at stake till this day. In retrospect I should have hired a lawyer andfought, but instead I cowered in a corner, so afraid of what would happen. I don't want to see anyone go through that.

So if you had to choose again, would you pick UConn? What if your other option was an extra $70k?

Yes, a faculty member commented to me (actually yelled and was critical) with regard to who I ate with. This individual wanted my company at lunch.

This person start getting to me a long time ago....now it's just getting rediculous. KingChris, please take a step back and find more positive ways to contribute to SDN.

To UConn students:
They care about who you eat lunch with???? that's insane!

To anyone else making a decision: in general, I would believe someone who is attending or graduated from the school you are considering. As much information as predents have, there is only a certain amount of data and impressions (no pun intended) you can obtain with shadowing and inquiring. It's a HUGE investment of time, money, and 4 years of your soul...so visit as much as you can and talk to people who are there living it.

I would say there were a cluster of five to ten of us out of a class of 45.

You know the more I think about this the sadder I become. There are so many phenomenal things about UConn. It's the few that ruin it, really. I found the education to be rock solid. I am now so goddarned disciplined it's not even funny. There are teachers there who truly inspire. I wish I could name names, but I don't customarily do that here on SDN. I can think of one person who could inspire anyone to want to become a prosthodontist (actually a couple of people who are so passionate, so talented), there are people who are so committed to patients and their care (and less worried about the almighty dollar), there are brilliant scientists there, gifted clinicians.....I could keep going on (but I'm at work and I gotta cut it short).

I would say there were a cluster of five to ten of us out of a class of 45.

I'd be willing to bet it was probably more...more like 10-15 or so cuz some ppl are so embarassed about what is happening to them and feel so isolated that they won't talk about it. Some ppl don't talk about it cuz they just don't wanna talk about unpleasant things.

You know the more I think about this the sadder I become. There are so many phenomenal things about UConn. It's the few that ruin it, really. I found the education to be rock solid. I am now so goddarned disciplined it's not even funny. There are teachers there who truly inspire. I wish I could name names, but I don't customarily do that here on SDN. I can think of one person who could inspire anyone to want to become a prosthodontist (actually a couple of people who are so passionate, so talented), there are people who are so committed to patients and their care (and less worried about the almighty dollar), there are brilliant scientists there, gifted clinicians.....I could keep going on (but I'm at work and I gotta cut it short).

The problem is that those few profs go tell the admin and the rest of the profs and then it's the whole school that jumps on board.

Yes, a faculty member commented to me (actually yelled and was critical) with regard to who I ate with. This individual wanted my company at lunch.

We should start a thread about ridiculous stuff UConn faculty and admin have said/gotten away with...we could seriously swap stories. One example, not as rude as yours...kinda silly and minor actually. I just sucked it up and did it. It was just an old fart of a prof who hated me and picked on me. Sadly, the admin backed up this ridiculous prof. I was written up (yes, it went into my student file) for wearing clip-on ties (I wore dress slacks, dress pants, long sleeve ironed shirts, and a clip-on neck tie). (Oh, and I did this for many, many months before someone suddenly had a problem with it.) Then, I had to go talk to the dean about my choice of ties and then read a book and write a paper on proper attire (btw, only one faculty member even recognized it was a clip-on). I was required to have a classmate teach me how to tie a regular tie and from then on, faculty constantly scrutinized my attire (more than other ppl) in clinic. They thought that just cuz I wore a clip-on tie that I would be a "rebel" about professional attire. So, while others never got in trouble for wearing ugly, wrinkled scrubs and tennis shoes, I got in trouble for wearing dress slacks, long sleeve shirts, dress shoes, and clip-on ties. Just a minor incident, but ridiculous none the less.

We should start a thread about ridiculous stuff UConn faculty and admin have said/gotten away with...we could seriously swap stories. One example, not as rude as yours...kinda silly and minor actually. I just sucked it up and did it. It was just an old fart of a prof who hated me and picked on me. Sadly, the admin backed up this ridiculous prof. I was written up (yes, it went into my student file) for wearing clip-on ties (I wore dress slacks, dress pants, long sleeve ironed shirts, and a clip-on neck tie). (Oh, and I did this for many, many months before someone suddenly had a problem with it.) Then, I had to go talk to the dean about my choice of ties and then read a book and write a paper on proper attire (btw, only one faculty member even recognized it was a clip-on). I was required to have a classmate teach me how to tie a regular tie and from then on, faculty constantly scrutinized my attire (more than other ppl) in clinic. They thought that just cuz I wore a clip-on tie that I would be a "rebel" about professional attire. So, while others never got in trouble for wearing ugly, wrinkled scrubs and tennis shoes, I got in trouble for wearing dress slacks, long sleeve shirts, dress shoes, and clip-on ties. Just a minor incident, but ridiculous none the less.

Wow, that's silly. Are they just power-trippers or what? I can't believe you had to read a book and write a paper.

We should start a thread about ridiculous stuff UConn faculty and admin have said/gotten away with....

Seems like you're really seriously out here to spread the message. Even your name suggests that.

Wow, that's silly. Are they just power-trippers or what? I can't believe you had to read a book and write a paper.

Talking to the dean, reading the book and writing the paper wasn't so bad...it passed. It was the constantly being picked on it for the rest of my time there that sucked horse b@lls. They don't let anything rest.

As for the prof, some are just seriously uptight and the admin will always stand behind them and make a big deal of anything and then brand you with the "bad student" label forever. The others figure you must have done something to make them want to pick on you so they join in.

You will be analyzed from the moment you step through the door in the tone you voice questions, where you sit in the lecture room, and who you sit with.

Like who you sit with at lunch?

Yes, that was for you MpSurtell