UCR vs CSULA for undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alpha13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not exactly the best schools in the world but these are my 2 options to transfer to. I'm currently at a JC and will be transfering as a sophmore, because I only found out recently that JC credits are hurting me. Cost is a factor and that's why I would prefer to go to CSULA, but because UC's are viewed as better than the cal state's I am considering going to UCR instead. My main concern is getting into med school, so other things like social life, campus aesthetics etc. aren't important to me. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

UCR just because it is a UC. But that is just my opinion.

I'm from UCR. I'd say UCR; because we have a very strong science program. It might be farther where you want to be at... but the opportunities here are endless. Competition isnt that bad here (practically no gunners), friendly people, our pre-med advisors here are just awesome. We have a peer pre-med mentor program here; fellow classmates here definitely want you to succeed as well. Endless amount of clubs to join or start too! I started one myself. And very goood clinical experience at the Clinical Care Extender Program at Riverside Community Hospital. Its not your typical volunteer wheel patients to discharge type of deal, we have 3 month rotations where you get to experience different floors. I'm currently in Telemetry right now and I've seen my fair share of some interesting stuff. I had to restrain a guy going through alcohol withdrawal the other day who wanted to get out of bed and leave the hospital; is that all you say? This guy was 300 lbs. and he had cellulitis on his legs; his legs were bruised and swollen to the point where it look like elephant legs, did I mention they were constantly bleeding? In Feburary I'm rotating to the ER; RCH has a level 2 trauma center so you get to see some interesting things over there. If you would like to have these opportunities and have this kind of clinical experience I definitely would recommend UCR my friend. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

UCR isn't bad at all man... I know I get that notion all the time being that we are ranked one of the lowest of the UCs based soley on just the high acceptance rate. But that is pure bull****e. Who says people who did poorly in highschool would do poorly in college or life?

Some of the greatest people came out of UCR.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_R._Schrock

Richard R. Schrock; alumni of UCR, recipient of the 2005 Nobel Prize for Chemistry this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to CSULA (finished recently) and I know a ton of people that go to UCR. Honestly, which one you pick is not going to play a significant factor (if any) in what medical school you get into... How you DO at whichever school you pick and what activities you are involved in are going to determine your fate. If you have any questions, you can private message me.

I know UCR has some sort of program, only available to UCR grads, that allows them to do some kind of bost-bac transfer to the UCLA med school. I'm not sure how it works but it defnitely improves your chances of getting in to UCLA which is pretty freaking amazing.