UCSD Autobiography

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayQuah

Connect Four Champion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Correct me gently if this is the topic of another thread, or if there is no hope, you just gotta figure it out...but UCSD's secondary asks for a autobiographical sketch...asking for a lot of stuff that is in the AMCAS statement, but explicitly saying, don't talk about your AMCAS statement. I know most are still waiting on the UC secondaries, but anyone got a hold of this one and stumped like me?

Members don't see this ad.

JayQuah said:
Correct me gently if this is the topic of another thread, or if there is no hope, you just gotta figure it out...but UCSD's secondary asks for a autobiographical sketch...asking for a lot of stuff that is in the AMCAS statement, but explicitly saying, don't talk about your AMCAS statement. I know most are still waiting on the UC secondaries, but anyone got a hold of this one and stumped like me?

Haha, yea my month deadline is almost up on that one. My life isn't anything exceptional (pretty happy suburban childhood) so it kills me to write about it. the adcom will be absolutely bored-to-tears. but anyway, they asked for it I guess. Don't stress. If you nhave an interesting life, it will probably work in your favor, but I'm guessing most people don't have anything interesting to say. all that matters is they give a 1 month deadline and disregard your application if you don't get it in by then. :eek:

anystream said:
Haha, yea my month deadline is almost up on that one. My life isn't anything exceptional (pretty happy suburban childhood) so it kills me to write about it. the adcom will be absolutely bored-to-tears. but anyway, they asked for it I guess. Don't stress. If you nhave an interesting life, it will probably work in your favor, but I'm guessing most people don't have anything interesting to say. all that matters is they give a 1 month deadline and disregard your application if you don't get it in by then. :eek:

True...but they also have a hard deadline, i wonder how many of these 1 month or 2 weeks after you recieve it schools are bluffing...

Members don't see this ad :)
JayQuah said:
True...but they also have a hard deadline, i wonder how many of these 1 month or 2 weeks after you recieve it schools are bluffing...

I don't think so with UCSD. I heard the same with Davis. So many people want to go to those schools that the deadlines serve as just one more way to filter applicants.

anystream said:
I don't think so with UCSD. I heard the same with Davis. So many people want to go to those schools that the deadlines serve as just one more way to filter applicants.

check.

Is there a way to submitt the secondary online? Or does the one month apply from the postmark date?

Kleintje said:
Is there a way to submitt the secondary online? Or does the one month apply from the postmark date?
As it says on the website, they have to receive the stuff by one month after the date that you received the e-mail. Postmark date is irrelevant; only the date that they receive the info matters. You'd be well advised to be done at least a week before the deadline so you can be confident that the material will arrive in time.

drinklord said:
As it says on the website, they have to receive the stuff by one month after the date that you received the e-mail. Postmark date is irrelevant; only the date that they receive the info matters. You'd be well advised to be done at least a week before the deadline so you can be confident that the material will arrive in time.

Thank you for your help. I never recieved an email from them and only found out about my secondary via the status page. I was worried there may have been key info listed in the email that was not on the webpage. Did anyone else not recieve an email notification?

Kleintje said:
Thank you for your help. I never recieved an email from them and only found out about my secondary via the status page. I was worried there may have been key info listed in the email that was not on the webpage. Did anyone else not recieve an email notification?
You may want to call them just so they know about this issue. It'll also give you a chance to find out when you should have gotten the e-mail (thereby giving you a sense of your deadline). Good luck!

Kleintje said:
This is what the email said in its entirety:

You have been approved for a secondary application. To access the secondary application go to our website at http://medschool.ucsd.edu/admissions/ and click on "Application Status" and log on. (Please do not staple secondary forms together.)

FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY
UCSD School of Medicine's Technical Standards are available for review on the website listed above. Do not complete the forms at this time.

Thank you.
Sofia Rendon

Besides the staples warning, not much else in the email. Like the previous poster mentioned, you may want to contact the UCSD adcom to verify your deadline date. If not, setting 1 month from the date of secondary application approval is a pretty good estimate. Here I come, 2-page autobiography!