faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Anyone is still waiting for UCSD decisons? They sent out 2 batches of acceptances already (from what I saw on this forum). Anyone knows that whether they had finished accepting people already, or when will the next batch will be sent out? I'm still waiting at UCSD

azynchica

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacy Student
I e-mailed them and they told me they've sent out three batches.

I got an e-mail from UCSD a few days ago saying that the process is taking longer than expected and they'd notify us by the end of march. Did you get that e-mail? I wonder if that means they'll be sending waitlist/rejections at the end of march. :scared:

OP
F

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I did not get email at all. Oh, so worrying now

From this forum, I thought they did send out some rejections already ... havent heard waitlist yet

I really like UCSD program ....

JD_USD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2004
Sunny San Diego
Status
My classmate already found out she was rejected a few weeks ago...if that helps any.

On a more positive note, I thought I'd let everyone know why I've been such a stranger to SDN lately:

I recently applied and was accepted to UCSD's STARS summer research plan to work in the pharmacology dept. What does this have to do with SDN?
Does Dr. Palmer Taylor ring a bell?
That's right--I'll be working in the lab of UCSD's Dean of the School of Pharmacy this WHOLE summer!

I am actually meeting him and getting a tour of his lab this Wed.! He knows of my aspirations for a dual PhD (pharmacology)/PharmD degree. UCSD's website says it plans to implement such a program as of Fall '05, but I haven't heard anything--and I live in San Diego. So I'm hoping to--dare I say-- get a few words in about what I think the program should be like. Perhaps I can convince him to make it similar to UOP's dual degree time frame!

So if anyone has any questions about what the Dean or the school is like, I'm hoping to give great descriptions over this summer!

azynchica

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacy Student
congrats JD! That sounds really great. :)

Faradayampere - I guess we're the only ones still waiting on this forum...

I was tempted to e-mail them again, but I didn't want to sound like a nag. :laugh:

hdpooh34

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
azynchica said:

I was tempted to e-mail them again, but I didn't want to sound like a nag. :laugh:

I'm waiting too....although I got a thumbs-up from UOP on Thursday, it wasn't the big package I was hoping for. :cool:

OP
F

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
azynchica said:

emailed them, and they told me that they'll send everything out by the end of March ... yeah, so keep waiting ... but i think the later you get the letter, the less chance you'll get in right?

OP
F

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Oh, received my rejection today from UCSD. Oh well, they did not want me. Originally, I plan to go into pharmacy only if I get into UCSD. Oh well, it did not go as I expected. Anyway, I had mixed feelingtoday. Was rejected by UCSD, but got admitted to Finch Med School. So, they cancel each other. Oh well, going to go to med school. Probably this will be my last post in the pharm forum. G'luck to ppl still waiting.

pharmgyrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
faradayampere said:
Oh, received my rejection today from UCSD. Oh well, they did not want me. Originally, I plan to go into pharmacy only if I get into UCSD. Oh well, it did not go as I expected. Anyway, I had mixed feelingtoday. Was rejected by UCSD, but got admitted to Finch Med School. So, they cancel each other. Oh well, going to go to med school. Probably this will be my last post in the pharm forum. G'luck to ppl still waiting.

I also received my rejection letter, but I was kind of expecting it since my interview didn't go so well. But, congratulations on your acceptance to Finch Medical School and I wish you the best on your future endeavors.

Ugo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
faradayampere said:
Medical School is great! Take it in this way... you neeed some help to decide where to go, UCSD just made your decision easier. Med school was probably your first choice.

Good luck
U

OP
F

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Ugo said:
Medical School is great! Take it in this way... you neeed some help to decide where to go, UCSD just made your decision easier. Med school was probably your first choice.

Good luck
U
thanks phargyrl and ugo ... i am definitely excited about med school

g'luck to all, and I might see all of you again later

JD_USD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2004
Sunny San Diego
Status
Good luck in med school faradayampere!

I promised an update to everyone about my visit with Dean Taylor at UCSD, so here it is:

We first started talking about his research and how similar it was to what I was doing in my previous lab -structure and function of a small peptide in active conformation- and then different things like the neurotoxins he also works on. One thing led to another and we started having the best conversation. Dr. Taylor was "impressed" (his own words...) by my enthusiasm and prior research experiences and proceeded to tell me how exactly one would get a dual PhD/PharmD degree at UCSD. Currently there is only ONE dual degree student ( P3 there). And so although UCSD doesn't formally have such a program one can nonetheless do it.

He gave me a tour of his lab which includes a radioactive room and a "clean" room where they grow bacteria which express the protein of their interest that they "harvest" every three days.

What happened next was like what you only see in movies..... He took me out to the roof ledge (his lab is on the third floor) and there, with the wind blowing mildly at our faces, the Dean of UCSD's School of Pharmacy pointed at the new Pharmacy sciences building being constructed across the grass. As he began explaining the whole design concept and how they divided the floors/sections of the building and features I swear he reached out his arm and said "this will be yours one day". Hahaha, I can only wish he said that. But it was a surreal moment! He then walked me to the elevator and we parted ways. I can't wait for the summer to begin!

Good luck to all of this year's applicants!

Smilescali

Almost there...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 21, 2004
Beach Land
Status
Pharmacist
Wow that sounds great! I take it UCSD will be your first choice! :laugh: I will only dream....... :luck:

cjsdca

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
Status
JD_USD said:
Good luck in med school faradayampere!

I promised an update to everyone about my visit with Dean Taylor at UCSD, so here it is:

We first started talking about his research and how similar it was to what I was doing in my previous lab -structure and function of a small peptide in active conformation- and then different things like the neurotoxins he also works on. One thing led to another and we started having the best conversation. Dr. Taylor was "impressed" (his own words...) by my enthusiasm and prior research experiences and proceeded to tell me how exactly one would get a dual PhD/PharmD degree at UCSD. Currently there is only ONE dual degree student ( P3 there). And so although UCSD doesn't formally have such a program one can nonetheless do it.

He gave me a tour of his lab which includes a radioactive room and a "clean" room where they grow bacteria which express the protein of their interest that they "harvest" every three days.

What happened next was like what you only see in movies..... He took me out to the roof ledge (his lab is on the third floor) and there, with the wind blowing mildly at our faces, the Dean of UCSD's School of Pharmacy pointed at the new Pharmacy sciences building being constructed across the grass. As he began explaining the whole design concept and how they divided the floors/sections of the building and features I swear he reached out his arm and said "this will be yours one day". Hahaha, I can only wish he said that. But it was a surreal moment! He then walked me to the elevator and we parted ways. I can't wait for the summer to begin!

Good luck to all of this year's applicants!
Interesting post! :D I was just at the MTF building to drop-off my financial aid forms and I couldn't help but gaze at the Pharmacy Sciences building. I was astonished to see that they are nearly complete with the building's facade and noticed the sign stating its completion in the Fall of this year. Wow, it felt really good being on campus again and am just as excited to start school again. Good luck and enjoy your summer! :)