UCSD interview 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD FARM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
What do you guys think about ucsd interview? I don't know when they are gonna send out an acceptance letter. So, let me know when you guyz start recieving letter from UCSD.. aight.. Good Luck guys :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the UCSD interview went well. It was casual and the whole day was fairly relaxed. However, during the actual interview it seemed like they didn't get to know me as well on a personal level because they asked a set list of questions instead of asking about specific items on my application. In fact, I don't even know if my interviewers had my application in front of them. If they did, they definitely didn't refer to it. I think that the other schools that I applied to did a better job of asking more specific questions to get a better sense of who I am.

Not sure when acceptance letters will go out... During the presentation they said that all acceptances will be sent out by April 1st. I'm hoping it is earlier than that though because that is such a long wait!

Best of luck :)

Yes, I agree with you. Looks like a closed file interview to me since no specific questions were asked. However the whole process was suprisingly relax while the interviwers were nice and the essay topic was quite easy. UCSD's my #1 choice. Hopefully we'll all hear from them soon. Gd luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah UCSD is my #1 choice too. my interviewers seem like they are really tired of interviewing people. they have no expression at all. They didn't ask me a lot of question. i think they only asked me like 10 question. that's about it. how are your interviewers like? nice? friendly?

Yeah UCSD is my #1 choice too. my interviewers seem like they are really tired of interviewing people. they have no expression at all. They didn't ask me a lot of question. i think they only asked me like 10 question. that's about it. how are your interviewers like? nice? friendly?

10 is a lot! I got asked for only like 7 questions. My interviewers were nice.

10 is a lot! I got asked for only like 7 questions. My interviewers were nice.

if you don't mind me asking.. how long did your interview last? everyone said that their interviewers were nice, but do they have any facial expression? mine interviewers didn't really smile at all.. they just have that smirk. didn't really smile until the end of the interview.. That really worry me.

my interviewers were really nice and did ask me questions relating to my application/file. they also smiled a lot. maybe i got the good set of interviewers?

if you don't mind me asking.. how long did your interview last? everyone said that their interviewers were nice, but do they have any facial expression? mine interviewers didn't really smile at all.. they just have that smirk. didn't really smile until the end of the interview.. That really worry me.
Mine lasted for a bit over 20min. They smiled here and there.

My interview was about 40 min.
My interviewers seemed tired of interviewing too. It was at the end of the day on the last day of interviews, so I'm sure that they were tired!

admissions committee from ucsd started meeting this week. expect acceptance letters to top applicants to start coming out in the next week or so. more adcom meetings are scheduled for the next couple of weeks.

fyi, ucsf adcom starts meeting next week.

admissions committee from ucsd started meeting this week. expect acceptance letters to top applicants to start coming out in the next week or so. more adcom meetings are scheduled for the next couple of weeks.

fyi, ucsf adcom starts meeting next week.

so its true?? can anyone confirm that the top applicants are given acceptances first?

ie. if you did really good in the admission process, you get your acceptance first

so its true?? can anyone confirm that the top applicants are given acceptances first?

ie. if you did really good in the admission process, you get your acceptance first
the only differentiation i meant to make was that there's the group that gets the offers first, then there's the group that has to wait until some from the first group decline the offer for another school and ucsd has to figure out how many more offers they need to send out to fill their class (waiting list, etc.). logically, to me, the better applicants would be in the first group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

When I interviewed at UCSD, I had my interview in the very beginning. When I came back, the projector that showed the essay question was already turned off. Was there a direction that limits the number of paragraphs we can write? Thanks.

Hi guys,

When I interviewed at UCSD, I had my interview in the very beginning. When I came back, the projector that showed the essay question was already turned off. Was there a direction that limits the number of paragraphs we can write? Thanks.

No!!!
But the person who passed out the paper for essay said something about them "not being interested in reading very long essays". If it helps, I think mine was one page! (small handwriting) !!!

I got in!! I just got home from work and the letter was in my mailbox! I'm so happy right now :)

I live in San Diego so people should be hearing soon- mine was postmarked the 25th

I got in!! I just got home from work and the letter was in my mailbox! I'm so happy right now :)

I live in San Diego so people should be hearing soon- mine was postmarked the 25th

Wow! That's great news, congratulations :) You are set now hehe.

By the way, what did the letter look like? Was it just a simple envelope?

I doubt I'll get in, but hey, there's always some little hope haha.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Thanks guys!!

It was a small white envelope- totally looked like a rejection. Then the first word was a bold congratulations :D

Congratulations, I'm happy for you!!!!!! I'm so nervous now. I live in Orange County...hoping to see something in the mailbox tmr.

Thanks guys!!

It was a small white envelope- totally looked like a rejection. Then the first word was a bold congratulations :D

You must have done a fantastic interview to be accepted so early :)

I think my interview went well. My interviewer gave me his business card with his direct phone number and e-mail for any questions.

I would say I'm pretty outgoing and initiated a lot of the conversation during the interview, and I hope that's what they were looking for.

Didn't they say the first acceptance letters wouldn't come out until March/April?

My interview was open file. My interviewers knew a lot about me and what I've done. The day wasn't too bad, not too stressful. They send out letters in mid-March I think, or maybe as late as April.
Just a warning, you do have to write an essay while you're there. Don't stress about it though. I think the purpose of it is just to test your written communication skills.

CONGRATULATIONS ANIKPOLKA DOT!

I just came home from a late night class and was handed a white envelope...like you, I right away thought it was going to be a rejection letter. Opened it, ready to accept rejection, BUT BEHOLD "CONGRATULATIONS!"

I didn't even read the rest of the letter and screamed and jumped around my apartment for at least 5 minutes before my bf calmed me down and read the letter with me!

THIS TOTALLY ROCKS! Going to drop the UOP interview this Friday!

P.S. I live in Los Angeles, and received the letter today, also postmarked 2/25/08.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! YOUR LETTERS ARE COMING SOON!

CONGRATULATIONS ANIKPOLKA DOT!

I just came home from a late night class and was handed a white envelope...like you, I right away thought it was going to be a rejection letter. Opened it, ready to accept rejection, BUT BEHOLD "CONGRATULATIONS!"

I didn't even read the rest of the letter and screamed and jumped around my apartment for at least 5 minutes before my bf calmed me down and read the letter with me!

THIS TOTALLY ROCKS! Going to drop the UOP interview this Friday!

P.S. I live in Los Angeles, and received the letter today, also postmarked 2/25/08.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! YOUR LETTERS ARE COMING SOON!

Hey, woohoo! I am happy for you :) All those years of taking pre-pharm prerequisites and "trying" to get accepted are now finished haha.

How exciting!!! Congrats to both of you :)

congrats to all of you who got accepted already.

just out of curiousity, when was your interview date?

Thanks for the congrats everyone :)
My interview date was 1/26,
Letter dated 2/22
Postmarked 2/25
Received 2/26

My interview was 2/11 (the last day!!) which I thought meant I was at the bottom. I guess you can't read too much into that stuff. So no one fret- your letters are coming!

Letter dates were the same

Got my letter too! I also interviewed on 2/11.

I got in as well....I interviewed on jan 18th

I'm just surprised I received 2/3 acceptances already...now just waiting on UCSF! UCSD is my first choice, but I'm still pissed I put down the $500 on USC! oh well...

Heyyy all. I got my UCSD acceptance yesterday too.
I also wish I had not put down my $500 for USC but you know what, we had no choice back then, because we needed a back up. SD is my #1 choice too.

Anyone who interviewed at SD, that also interviewed at SF and wasn't impressed? Because they totally didn't appeal to me for some reason (#1 or not)

Congrats SummaBreez, Jessica, llgordon!

yay! I got my acceptance letter today at my home in NorCal. I've got a school to go to next year!

Good luck to everyone waiting on theirs :D

:) Yea!!!
I received my acceptance letter last night.

Interview: 2/11
Letter dated: 2/21

I interviewed at UCSF as well...and wasn't impressed either

UCSD stood above the other schools I applied to, plus they are actually nice and helpful on the phone!!!

I'm thinking UCSD sent out all their invites already. If 6-7 people on SDN get an acceptance, and SDN represents 10% of the pre-pharmacy population, then it sounds about right. Now, they're just waiting for people to reject in order to invite more :)

I interviewed at UCSF as well...and wasn't impressed either

UCSD stood above the other schools I applied to, plus they are actually nice and helpful on the phone!!!

I was actually more impressed by the USC interview. Did you interview there?

The UCSD students did not show much professionalism. In the room where you get to chat with them, they were in normal clothes (one guy even had his feet on the table) and sort of interacting with themselves rather than welcoming the interviewees. The USC students really tried to reach out and make people feel comfortable before the interview. They were there early in the morning and responsive to everyone's concerns.

I didn't interview at USC, so I can't compare, but I personally liked the casual and geniune attitude of the UCSD students.

In the room where you get to chat with them, they were in normal clothes (one guy even had his feet on the table)

Haha, I think I know who you're talking about. He's one of the 4th years. The purpose of the host room was the make the interviewees comfortable enough to ask questions you would find less appropriate to ask during your actual interview. I know I would be less relaxed if I sat in that room in business/business casual.

I did interview at USC....it was nice for the most part...I liked the speech Jim gave to calm us all down, and I liked how there was really no waiting for anything. USC's was very organized which I loved, but the students did not impress me at all.

Before the interview, students were telling me where I could get free books, beer, where to party etc ! haha. Afterwards in the room with the students, questions were answered great but this one really attractive asian girl (not sure if you know who I'm talking about)...was dressed VERY provacative and very very DITSY! lol all I could concentrate on was how stupid she was (not to be mean). But the students there did not seem as intelligent...I know it is okay to be fun and relaxed but the students did not impress me a bit intellectually.

I did not stay and chat with the UCSD students at the interview, but some came into the essay room and all did seem very relaxed...talking about how they love the beach and how great the school is in regards to location, cirriculum, etc. They gave us tips on where to live and how difficult the courses are. I really liked the background info speech the dean gave, very interesting. The faculty at UCSD are very confident about their school's success.

Mainly I am picking UCSD because of the location, price, and program. It feels amazing to be 1 out of 60 students accepted. My experience talking with faculty at the two schools on the phone: USC seems wayyyy to overloaded, like they are too busy to answer a simple question. While when I have called UCSD, someone is always happy (literally have laughed with me) as they answer my questions. The school seems genuine & I think it is almost a plus that it is a new school, they are making sure they do EVERYTHING RIGHT!! because they are a new school and being watched in a sense. The new pharmacy building is amazing and not full of posters of frat parties...although UCSD does have party pics on their website, I feel the school is much much more professional!

How many of you are choosing UCSD over USC??​

I did interview at USC....it was nice for the most part...I liked the speech Jim gave to calm us all down, and I liked how there was really no waiting for anything. USC's was very organized which I loved, but the students did not impress me at all.

Before the interview, students were telling me where I could get free books, beer, where to party etc ! haha. Afterwards in the room with the students, questions were answered great but this one really attractive asian girl (not sure if you know who I'm talking about)...was dressed VERY provacative and very very DITSY! lol all I could concentrate on was how stupid she was (not to be mean). But the students there did not seem as intelligent...I know it is okay to be fun and relaxed but the students did not impress me a bit intellectually.

I did not stay and chat with the UCSD students at the interview, but some came into the essay room and all did seem very relaxed...talking about how they love the beach and how great the school is in regards to location, cirriculum, etc. They gave us tips on where to live and how difficult the courses are. I really liked the background info speech the dean gave, very interesting. The faculty at UCSD are very confident about their school's success.

Mainly I am picking UCSD because of the location, price, and program. It feels amazing to be 1 out of 60 students accepted. My experience talking with faculty at the two schools on the phone: USC seems wayyyy to overloaded, like they are too busy to answer a simple question. While when I have called UCSD, someone is always happy (literally have laughed with me) as they answer my questions. The school seems genuine & I think it is almost a plus that it is a new school, they are making sure they do EVERYTHING RIGHT!! because they are a new school and being watched in a sense. The new pharmacy building is amazing and not full of posters of frat parties...although UCSD does have party pics on their website, I feel the school is much much more professional!

How many of you are choosing UCSD over USC??​

I don't think anyone would choose USC over UCSD. UCSD is cheaper, located in a nice area, has newer facilities, and has a smaller class size. If I had the choice between USC and UCSD, I'd definitely go SD :)

Hey everyone!
Congrats to all you guys!!!
If you have any Qs about student life at UCSD pharm, feel free to contact me! SDN users helped me last year so just wanna pay it fwd!

-Chate (UCSD '11)

I would choose USC over UCSD personally if I got accepted to both for the MBA/pharmD program. I'm more business oriented, and I also like the people/environment of USC much better than at SD not to mention the sports teams! UCSD would be my 2nd choice with UCSF 3rd though.

I interviewed at UCSD and still didn't receive a letter, and I am located in so cal. Do acceptances go out first then rejections? I'm sick of this wait..... just tell me already so I can plan out my grad school options!

like many things, its UCSD vs USC is just a personal choice. they're great in their own aspects and weaker in others.

and i dont mean to be a troll or start anything but this is my personal take on it and i really want appeciate feedback if you feel otherwise...
but in general, UCSD = research, USC = retail/business/other (i might have a SD bias since i am in UCSD right now)

a closer call is UCSD and UCSF. Both are champs in terms of research but which one to choose.

@chate if you dont mind me asking, what made you decide UCSD over other research oriented schools?

seriously though I've heard of so many people getting in...how many seats are there left for the rest of us nerve-racked souls :(

I doubt there are anymore seats for them to give out. Now, we can only hope that people will drop their seats for UCSF :)

Thanks YunaPharm :)
I haven't decided between UCSD and UCSF yet. I like both schools, so it is going to be a tough choice for me.

Which one would you choose?

i interviewed on 2/11 too, but didn't recieve any letter... probably didn't get in.. i am waiting for a rejection letter.. but do you guys know what are the chances of people getting a acceptance letter around mid march