UCSD Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how long it takes after an interview at UCSD for you to know if you have been accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

The admissions committee is meeting every two weeks on Monday to discuss and make decisions on applicants, and the following Tuesday Dean Kelly is calling to inform those who are accepted. They will also tell you on the interview day when you can expect to hear from them, but they are pretty fast though, usually they make decisions right during the next scheduled Monday meeting. However, sometimes interviewers don't turn in their evaluations of you on time and then you have to wait extra two weeks - until the next Tuesday post-Monday-meeting.

Thanks doc12345! So if you dont get a call from Dean Kelly the Tuesday after, you should assume that you have been waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks doc12345! So if you dont get a call from Dean Kelly the Tuesday after, you should assume that you have been waitlisted?

Nope.

I didn't get a call the Tuesday after their next meeting.

Then I didn't get a call the Tuesday after their second meeting after I interviewed.

Then after their third meeting, I got a call on that Tuesday while I was on a bus. I could hardly hear what he was saying, but I was accepted.

Things don't always move too quick. After 3 weeks or so you can probably call and ask what the status of your application is. I called 3 weeks after I interviewed and they said my file "hadn't gone through committee" yet. I thought they were just saying that to make me feel better, but apparently not.

I didn't get a call for well over a month, though I interviewed around the holidays. Good luck! It's definitely very nice to get a phone call.

Who does the interviews at UCSD? Various physicians from the faculty, or members of the adcom such as Dean Kelly?

Also what is the acceptance ratio at UCSD once you interview?

Who does the interviews at UCSD? Various physicians from the faculty, or members of the adcom such as Dean Kelly?

Also what is the acceptance ratio at UCSD once you interview?

Apparently faculty (both MDs and PhDs) and also MS4 students. I haven't heard of admissions committee interviewing applicants directly.

About acceptance ratios, they said they interview about 500-550 people for about 120 spots; but last year about 70% of the class came off the waitlist. You do the math.

Also to answer the previous question, like everybody else said, if you don't get a phone call it doesn't necessarily mean you're waitlisted, it could mean they didn't get to you application or your interviewers were late submitting an evaluation of you. You can call yourself and ask.

cool!! thanx for the info...

I have a MCAT <30 but the rest of my application is very solid, i still got an invite to interview at UCSD, but given the MCAT, am I essentially interviewing for a spot on the waitlist (maybe a high spot at best)?

I have a MCAT <30 but the rest of my application is very solid, i still got an invite to interview at UCSD, but given the MCAT, am I essentially interviewing for a spot on the waitlist (maybe a high spot at best)?

I wouldn't say so, you never know with them, they are saying they want to have "diverse" class, people with different types of backgrounds/experiences and high MCAT is not the main determinant, whatever that means. So don't place yourself on the waitlist yet... Keep your hopes up!:thumbup:

first, congrats on the interview. those who are currently being interviewed are definitely not auditioning for the waitlist, though that is where the largest group of all our interviewees go. as someone stated, only 120 or so get straight acceptances after interview, and only a few get straight rejections, so most others will be waitlisted.

as for who interviews, last month lots of MS4's were involved because they were all on campus for a mandatory course, but i don't know how many interviews they are doing now that they aren't all around. some may have finished rotations and are just hanging around until next thursday to find out where they matched. as for md's, the following few people do a lot of interviews:

dr kelly (nephrologist), dr. baird (pathologist, teaches immunology and a lot of pathology), dr. goldberg (internist, teaches our intro to clinical medicine, really nice), dr. moutier (psychiatrist, one of the newer deans)

then there are many others who do a fair share of interviews as well. i don't know all their names, but lots of them both do the interviews and are members of the admissions committee. at least that's how i understand that it works.

best of luck,
falx

my friend got a straight acceptance to USCD 2 years ago with a MCAT <30..so, don't lose ur hope! good luck:luck:

are there a lot of healthcare related questions in the interview?

are there a lot of healthcare related questions in the interview?

I had very few health care related questions. But, I had a lot of application specific questions - so know your application inside out! I in fact understood my application - and what it meant/showed - better after meeting with my interviewers.

Both interviews were pretty low stress, but be prepared to travel offsite for some of the interviews. There's a shuttle system, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Classy, I imagine that if they invited you to interview, then the MCAT score has been discussed and will not hurt you. If they thought it was too low then you would not have received an interview. So just nail the interviews and im sure you will get your acceptace :)

Hi all, I just interviewed on Tuesday and wanted to chime in. Dr. Kelly mentioned they will be expanding the class to 134 due to the new PRIME program and that the committee meets on Monday every two weeks. For those of you that are anxious, Brian mentioned that we are welcome to call the office around 11am on Tuesday to find out your decision.

Classydude--I also had a MCAT below 30 and didn't feel that this was interpreted as anything to mull over once you are the interview stage. I interviewed with Dr. Baird (very nice) and got the feeling it's all about getting to know you past your application. Good luck!

As another couple people posted, if you are invited for interview, MCAT scores really aren't an issue. UCSD isn't going to interview people that they don't think are fully capable of succeeding here. And there are many people from lots of different backgrounds, so there's not really a "mold" that everyone has to fit in in order to get accepted here.

falx

As another couple people posted, if you are invited for interview, MCAT scores really aren't an issue. UCSD isn't going to interview people that they don't think are fully capable of succeeding here. And there are many people from lots of different backgrounds, so there's not really a "mold" that everyone has to fit in in order to get accepted here.

falx

You are one of the most helpful people...ever.:thumbup:

falx

UCSD bases their interviews and acceptances on a numeric basis. They assign points to everything on your application including GPA, MCAT, EC's, LOR's, personal statement and interview. So in order to get an interview invite, you must meet a specific cutoff. After the interview, in order to get accepted, you must meet another cutoff. Therefore, if you have a high MCAT, you have a higher chance of getting accepted than an identical applicant with a lower MCAT. But of course, I think they would make it so that even if you have a low MCAT/GPA/whatever, you could still get in with a good interview...it's just more difficult.

BTW i know this b/c I have spoken to a few people (students) on the admissions committee.

I have to agree with everyone else, if you have an interview, dont worry about stats, you've already been screened for that and passed. Just have a good interview and be true to your self and application.

Instigata, if what you are saying is true, then this poor guy I know should have an interview at UCSD when he applied last year. He had a 3.95 GPA from UCSD, 41R on the MCAT's and one of the better applications I have read, and he did not receive an interview at UCSD. He applied early, has no criminal record or anything, and sold EC's. In the end he ended up at Harvard so he's in good shape, but it shows that if it was really a number based system as you claim then he and many other applicants should have been interviewed. Im sure many people know similar people like this or have a similar story.

On that note, best of luck to the applicants who are still being interviewed and congrats to the ones who have been accepted! Im nervous for my interview, but thats because UCSD my #1 choice...no pressure right? :laugh:

I have to agree with everyone else, if you have an interview, dont worry about stats, you've already been screened for that and passed. Just have a good interview and be true to your self and application.

Instigata, if what you are saying is true, then this poor guy I know should have an interview at UCSD when he applied last year. He had a 3.95 GPA from UCSD, 41R on the MCAT's and one of the better applications I have read, and he did not receive an interview at UCSD. He applied early, has no criminal record or anything, and sold EC's. In the end he ended up at Harvard so he's in good shape, but it shows that if it was really a number based system as you claim then he and many other applicants should have been interviewed. Im sure many people know similar people like this or have a similar story.

On that note, best of luck to the applicants who are still being interviewed and congrats to the ones who have been accepted! Im nervous for my interview, but thats because UCSD my #1 choice...no pressure right? :laugh:

When I interviewed at Harvard I met with a girl from my undergrad (so she could prep me). She told me about her pre-interview UCSD rejection that she claimed was worded rather harshly. She joked that she wanted to send them a copy of her Harvard acceptance.

What you said can be true. But like I said in my post, this has come from NUMEROUS adcom members. I'm an undergrad there and have bumped into a lot of med students who are on the admissions committee and they have all said the same thing...UCSD is based on a number system. Take it for what you may.

perhaps it is based on a numbers system, but then i imagine they must have exceptions for non-trad students and other applicants that have either an amazing EC or a LOR from a important person

i figure just knock the interviews out of the park and it will be hard for them to reject you

i've been on hold for interview with ucsd since late jan...i've tried emailing the admissions office but they would only tell me they are interviewing into early april. is there a way i can ask for an interview? ucsd would be my #1.

So, as some have said, I think our system does have a "rating" system. However, it's not like it's some specific linear equation that only evaluates your GPA and MCAT. Every part of the package, from your previous academic performance, extracurriculars, secondary and personal statement, and the interviewers' reports, are represented when the committee takes action on an applicant.

From my experience here, I think that the students are involved a bit less on the admissions committee than some have intimated above. I may be wrong about that, but I am pretty sure that no 1st and 2nd years are on the committee. Some 4th years do interview students, but I'm not sure whether any of them actually sit on the committee. If they did, it would be difficult to get a consistent showing, as students are frequently doing away rotations, residency interviews, taking vacation months, etc during 4th year.

I think I'll ask Yvonne Coleman, one of the Admissions Staff members, tomorrow to get a straight answer on all this. She will know.

Falx

I agree.

I'm a 3rd year and I haven't heard of anyone in my class involved on the Adcom. I know 4th years do some interviews but I don't think they're that involved in the actual process. They're too busy surfing.

I agree.

I'm a 3rd year and I haven't heard of anyone in my class involved on the Adcom. I know 4th years do some interviews but I don't think they're that involved in the actual process. They're too busy surfing.

To the extent they are involved I don't know, but a lot of people know about the admissions process. I ran into this 3rd year med student at the undergrad health services ust the other day. Just randomally started talking to her and EVEN she told me about this. I have run into a few students at BML and Clics too who have said this also (and they were part of the admissions com).

What you said can be true. But like I said in my post, this has come from NUMEROUS adcom members. I'm an undergrad there and have bumped into a lot of med students who are on the admissions committee and they have all said the same thing...UCSD is based on a number system. Take it for what you may.

It's a bit more sophisticated than that to be honest.

It's something I might want to do next year, didn't know we could get involved on the Adcom itself.

Yes, from what those students have told me, you can get involved. One of the students I met at Clics told me he had a pile of applications to go through to grant interviews. Now I don't know if he was telling the truth, but why would he lie about this?

Falx...im looking forwards to hearing what you have found out

Im keeping my fingers crossed as my MCAT's are not great and my GPA isnt the 3.8 that UCSD commands. I got an interview so I guess thats whats important in the end, its mine to lose so to speak

i've been on hold for interview with ucsd since late jan...i've tried emailing the admissions office but they would only tell me they are interviewing into early april. is there a way i can ask for an interview? ucsd would be my #1.

Well there isnt a way you can "ask" for an interview, but what you can do is send the adcom updates on any new activities/grades you have received or send a strong letter of interest telling them why UCSD is your top choice. But you better hurry, I think there are only a few adcom meetings left before they stop giving interview invites....

So, apparently about 15 or so MS4's both interview students AND sit on the admissions committee. That's the info I got. I think that Dr. Kelly reaches out to the rising 4th years sometime during the spring of 3rd year. So, there are definitely 4th year students involved.

That's about all I have to offer right now. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, or I'll just monitor this thread every once in a while.

Falx

Thanks Falx, I hope that I can make a good impression on the faculty and the students and get accepted, that would make my life :)