UCSD Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imprecious

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to those with interviews tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

imprecious said:
Good luck to those with interviews tomorrow!

Thanks! UCSD was one of the nicest interview experiences I had! :D

blizz said:
Thanks! UCSD was one of the nicest interview experiences I had! :D

The interviewers were extremely nice but I was so nervous that I was hardly articulate at all. Does anyone else feel this way? I felt like even though they were super nice, I totally bombed. Was anyone else overly nervous and had a hard time elaborating on things and trying to get the passion of wanting to become a pharmacist across?

And on average how long was your interview? Mine was 45 minutes compared to some that were 20 minutes long, is that a negative thing???

Also do you get the feeling that they already have an idea who they will accept prior to the interviews because my interviewers said that their part counted little. What was that?

Members don't see this ad :)
The UCSD students told me that they have already taken into account your GPA, essays, and extracurriculars before they invited you to interview. Therefore, when you get to the interview, that is all that they are assessing you on. Supposedly, they will not be looking at your GPA and other factors anymore. Kind of scary... Did anyone else hear about this?

xturquoise said:
The UCSD students told me that they have already taken into account your GPA, essays, and extracurriculars before they invited you to interview. Therefore, when you get to the interview, that is all that they are assessing you on. Supposedly, they will not be looking at your GPA and other factors anymore. Kind of scary... Did anyone else hear about this?

I actually think that they have a good idea who they would like to admit and just want to meet and see if we have common sense and have personality. I think the whole package is taken into account.

mellyrara said:
The interviewers were extremely nice but I was so nervous that I was hardly articulate at all. Does anyone else feel this way? I felt like even though they were super nice, I totally bombed. Was anyone else overly nervous and had a hard time elaborating on things and trying to get the passion of wanting to become a pharmacist across?

And on average how long was your interview? Mine was 45 minutes compared to some that were 20 minutes long, is that a negative thing???

Also do you get the feeling that they already have an idea who they will accept prior to the interviews because my interviewers said that their part counted little. What was that?

I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure they all know we're really nervous, and they tried to make us seem as comfortable as possible. My interview wasn't 45 min long (wow, that's a long time!) maybe they really liked you, so think of it as a good long conversation!

Did your interviewers really say that the interview counted little??

yeah....ucsd was also the best interview experience i've had so far. Of course i've only had ucsf and ucsd. haha but still, i think i've fallen in love with that place. I always loved sf but when i went there, everything seemed a lil too uptight and impersonal.. i dont know. Now its time to wait 2 long months before finding out..... im just wondering tho: if ucsd already has an idea of who they will accept, does that mean that they already have a preset idea of the 60 ppl they will take out of the 240 they invited to interview?

The interview was definitly laid back and everyone was friendly.

The only thing that worries me is that the faculty may be too
involved with research and have less focus on teaching. The only
reason I say that is because when I was going to UCSD for my
undergrad it seemed that many professors didn't have a clue
how to teach. Hopefully it's different for the Pharmacy School.

For those who have been to the UCSD interviews, can you please briefly describe the interview day? Was the essay first or the interview? How many minutes do they allow you to write the essay? What kind of essay topic did they ask? Thank you very much for sharing. :)

LuckyStar13 said:
For those who have been to the UCSD interviews, can you please briefly describe the interview day? Was the essay first or the interview? How many minutes do they allow you to write the essay? What kind of essay topic did they ask? Thank you very much for sharing. :)

They start off with an hour or so orientation and then everyone recieves a different interview time which last between 20-45 minutes. They essentially give you as much time on the essay as you need, they suggest about an hour but it is really laid back. The essay topic is random and has nothing to do with pharmacy such as 'what was your favorite class?'

Good luck! :)

Thank you very much for the info!!! I really appreciate it. :D

Congratulations to all who have survived and excelled the UCSD interviews! Now the last interview is over; I am just as excited about a notification letter as you are.

Btw, does anyone know how long it will take UCSD to send out the notification letters? Will all letters be sent out together at the same time? Already I am having dreams about receiving my letter. :p

I think UCSD said they will send out the mail around mid-March to early April. And they said that they will send out an email as well as a snailmail (e-mail will let us know about the decision faster...)