UCSD v UCD (premed)

Idyllic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize both schools have great science programs, and I can't really go wrong with either, but I still have a decision to make, and I can't seem to make it without some more input.

USCD is ranked higher, more prestige, and whatnot, but I didn't get the Neurobiology major that I wanted there, so I would have to apply for the major after 3 quarters there. Right now I would be entering into the school undeclared. If I don't get it, I plan on majoring in Cognitive Science, because that interests me as well. Its a complication, and it makes me hesitate for a second, but I don't think it should be a reason to reject the school, but it has discouraged me. Also I have heard that because the pre-med population at UCSD is so large, the competition there is much harder, and it is harder to find research. I need to keep up my GPA for med school applications, and I know that might be much harder to do here.

UCD, however, has given me slightly more money in the way of scholarships and grants. I got the Neuro/Physio/Behavior major I wanted at Davis, and I was also invited to the Integrated Studies Honors program there, which will give me guaranteeed housing and early registration for some courses. Davis also doesn't have a repuatation for having tough curves, so it would be much easier to maintain a high GPA for med school applications. Davis does have a nice advising facility and plenty of student-run clinics on campus, so its not like it would complement a premed college path. The research oppurtunities it offers wouldn't be on the same level as SD, however, with their highly prestigious neuroscience insitution.

It's definitely a tough decision to make, and I visited both campuses, and while people seemed much more stressed at SD, I think I would find a way to keep myself happy, and I believe I would fit in at either school. I'm completely 50/50 right now, I need some knowledge that could tip this scale. Know I'm not afraid to be studious, I've managed to maintain a 4.35 weighted and 3.89 unweighted GPA at a fairly demanding high school, which might not mean anything when I actually get into college, but I do work hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Davis: I am going there! But on a more serious note, I would chose UCD. UCSD is widely known to be socially dead with many cut throat pre-meds. Not that there aren't any at Davis but the ones that I have met during picnic day all seemed very nice and not gunners. Davis is not easy, so do not go to Davis with the mentality that it'll be relatively easy because it's actually a well reputed school and has strong science programs. Also, Davis does offer many research opportunities and ISHP will likely help you with this. ISHP will be a HUGE factor. Getting the classes you want and the professors you want is going to be an upper advantage for you, especially during your Freshman year.

It's definitely a tough decision to make, and I visited both campuses, and while people seemed much more stressed at SD, I think I would find a way to keep myself happy, and I believe I would fit in at either school. I'm completely 50/50 right now, I need some knowledge that could tip this scale. Know I'm not afraid to be studious, I've managed to maintain a 4.35 weighted and 3.89 unweighted GPA at a fairly demanding high school, which might not mean anything when I actually get into college, but I do work hard.

This seems like a no-brainer to me. At UCD, you get:
1) More money (which = less debt)
2) The major you wanted
3) An invite to their Honors program, which will provide you with extra benefits in terms of housing (with like-minded individuals) and registration benefits.
4) Easier grading
5) Nice advisers

At UCSD:
1) More prestigious research
2) No guarantee for your desired major
3) More stress
4) More competition for good grades and research

I understand that the prestige of UCSD is alluring to you. But its prestige may actually work against you. If lots of pre-meds are clamoring to do research, it's less likely you will A) Get a spot, and B) Get put on a publication.

So, at UCD, if you have a smaller research team, you might have a better shot at getting your name on a publication (which is really what research is all about after all. ;)).

Besides, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on research anyway. Wherever you work you will do one of the following: 1) assemble case files, 2) interview subjects, 3) manage lots of rats, or 4) manage lots of beakers and petri dishes. There are many more important aspects of college than research. The points in favor of UCD should be much more important to you than the 1 point in favor of UCSD. Go wherever you'd be happiest.

where do you want to live for 4 years?

if you do well academically, you will be fine wherever you go.