UCSD vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kpremed22

Reaction score
Was basically set on UCSD until I recently got into Georgetown from the WL. I'm out of state for UCSD and am from the east coast, so cost wise they would be essentially the same and Georgetown would be much closer to home than UCSD- 1 hour flight. I'm interested in surgical subspecialties, so I do also want to go the school that will give me the best opportunities for residency.

Georgetown
pros:
1) Close to friends and family
2) NIH is close by for research
3) pass/fail including clinicals
4) Match list seems really good for surgery
cons:
1) Larger class size
2) Less research focused than UCSD and has less research opportunities compared to UCSD
3) Weather is worse than SD.
4) Lower ranked than SD

UCSD
pros:
1) Higher ranked- so with Step I going P/F- this might help
2) A lot research Opportunities
3) Weather and location
4) UCSD health system seems to be really good
5) Match list seems good
cons:
1) Far from family- literally on the other side of the country
2) New curriculum- it seems to have mandatory lectures everyday which I hate and we're going to be the first batch with the new curriculum, so not sure how its going to pan out.
3) H/HP/P/F for clinical in 3rd unlike Georgetown which is P/F

I know UCSD is pretty highly ranked compared to Georgetown, but any person I talk seems to think Georgetown is better, since it has more undergraduate prestige. But am not sure if this really matters in terms of name recognition for residency. Other things I'm concerned about is Georgetown being P/F for 3rd clinicals whereas UCSD is H/HP/P/F, and the new curriculum at UCSD.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a given you need publications to match competitively. Research should not be an issue at UCSD. Also personally have never heard of Georgetown until senior year of HS, so I wouldn't say Georgetown is anymore prestigious than SD in the STEM space.

Perhaps talk to some current Georgetown students to see how accessible research is with the NIH and make your decision from there. I vote UCSD

It's a given you need publications to match competitively. Research should not be an issue at UCSD. Also personally have never heard of Georgetown until senior year of HS, so I wouldn't say Georgetown is anymore prestigious than SD in the STEM space.

Perhaps talk to some current Georgetown students to see how accessible research is with the NIH and make your decision from there. I vote UCSD
Yeah might actually try speaking to a couple of Georgetown students to see if NIH research is actually accessible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know UCSD is pretty highly ranked compared to Georgetown, but any person I talk seems to think Georgetown is better, since it has more undergraduate prestige.
I do not know how they came to that conclusion considering UCSD is a strong undergraduate program as well with many Californians trying to get in every year.

Go to UCSD.

Reactions: 1 users
UCSD is the stronger school (both med school and undergraduate). It's a pretty big name in CA and both the med school and university have grown substantially in prestige in recent years. I would go to UCSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.