UCSD vs. UCDavis vs. UW vs. Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which school would you pick?

• UCSD

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • UC Davis

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • UW

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • U Chicago

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters

brownie2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone hates these polls, but I just wanted to get your opinion. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

this is useless since noone knows anytihng about your preferences, residency, or interests. you might as well go by US news.

What are you interested in? Primary care? Research? Competitive specialty? How important to you is being in California for med school and/or residency? Sorry for all the questions... just wanted to get a better idea before I vote :)

Members don't see this ad :)
U of Washington is a Primary care Powerhouse. Actually it would have been one of my top choices if I'm eligible to apply (I'm an international student).

U of Chicago has a strong focus on training students to "think" medicine, from feedback I got, and its match list is incredible. The hospital has a predominantly African American population, so it's a plus for some people.

If tuition's not a big issue, I'll go for UW or Pritzker.

hehe - thanks guys for making me clarify. i'm not as interested in research, think i'm interested in primary care but admit that i may change my mind at any point. i guess i'm trying to get a feel for the happiness of the students, great teaching, great experiences, etc... so vote away. i don't really have a preference for state, although cali would be nice, very nice. thanks!

If you want California I go for Davis. Of course you can see my bias on my signature ;) But the students there are definitely a pretty happy, laid-back bunch and the quality of the teaching is high. UCD Medical Center serves a very diverse population, both urban and rural so you get to see a lot of stuff, and Davis' student run clinics are amazing. If you want to stay SoCal though for sure, I'd go with UCSD since many UCD students seem to match in NorCal for residency.

If I were not set on staying in California I would pick UW. I think it has a great reputation and their students do well, in both primary care and specialties from what I hear. And personally, I would rather live in Seattle than Sacto or San Diego, even with the rain. You have 4 awesome choices so I doubt you can really go wrong with either one. Good luck :)

Seattle is amazing. I would take UW in a heartbeat, no thread needed! Second choice would be Chicago.

ON the other hand, you can look at USNews' statistics on different hospitals. If you're interested in a certain specialty, it helps to be from a school that has a good reputation in that area. Hospitals of UW and UC both have good reputation in various areas. However, that doesn't seem to be the case at all with UCSD's hospital.

uc davis for all the reasons the lovely lone coyote has mentioned...

plus location is ideal since it is relatively close to berkeley, sf, san jose, lake tahoe etc...

uber cheap housing. awesome medical center in the town of the sacramento monarchs...good level of diversity etc...

75% of their students match in california...which is tops in california.

more reasons but it is 3am so im lazy.

But the students there are definitely a pretty happy, laid-back bunch and the quality of the teaching is high.

i live with one of the medical students at uc davis, and thus know a few people from the class...from what i've heard from them, the teaching is horrible, and they complain about it constantly. i've heard about quite a few problems with various teachers and their methods. but take this with a huge grain of salt,i dont attend the school and everyone else in the class except my friends might feel the exact opposite...just my 2 cents

thanks medstudent! i actually heard about that from another person at davis... do you have an opinion about the other schools? thanks!

thanks medstudent! i actually heard about that from another person at davis... do you have an opinion about the other schools? thanks!

i dont know a damned thing about the other schools...but in terms of location, i feel that chicago is the best even though the cost of living might be a bit higher....as someone pointed out, davis is close to sf, berkeley, etc...but close means 45 min w/ no traffic, 1 hr 15 min during rush hours....and reno is about 2-3 hrs away...but during the 6 yrs i've been here, i havent been to sf or reno enough to make it a 'pro' to come to davis....i just dont have the time nor the patience to drive for that long, even though sf is a great place...davis is the most boring place in nor. CA....your amount of 'fun' will depend on who you know in this little town

Members don't see this ad :)
Brownie come to SD with me so we can get on here in the Fall and destroy all the bad rumors.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Brownie come to SD with me so we can get on here in the Fall and destroy all the bad rumors.
Oooo.... I like that idea! :D That makes one open spot at UCI and one open spot at UCD!
There's hope for me yet! ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DK - looks like the first year class at UCSD is doing a great job of destrying those rumors already! let's be the even more social class! okay SD folks, where are you?

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Oooo.... I like that idea! :D That makes one open spot at UCI and one open spot at UCD!
There's hope for me yet! ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm just one second look weekend away from doing this.

Originally posted by brownie2003
DK - looks like the first year class at UCSD is doing a great job of destrying those rumors already! let's be the even more social class! okay SD folks, where are you?

I think there's no SD class member on here that is very vocal about stuff.

I'm just one second look weekend away from doing this.
I feel like AID's twin in a way for my posts. :rolleyes: You knew one of us had to post it.

But reading the post that nobody has been rejected post-interview from UCI (and pretty much the same at UCD), hit kinda hard. I might already be slated for rejection and don't even know it... Just gotta keep waiting...Just a couple more months till I find out if I'm on a waitlist or two.

hmm...maybe no one's vocal on SDN concerning SD 'cause the cool/relaxed people (not that we're not cool or anything, we're just obsessors about finding the perfect place) are out doing fun stuff...and not looking at SDN!

I feel like AID's twin in a way for my posts. :rolleyes: You knew one of us had to post it.

But reading the post that nobody has been rejected post-interview from UCI (and pretty much the same at UCD), hit kinda hard. I might already be slated for rejection and don't even know it... Just gotta keep waiting...Just a couple more months till I find out if I'm on a waitlist or two.

60% of UCI interviewees are eventually accepted. I wouldn't worry about it.

60% of UCI interviewees are eventually accepted.
What you have to remember from your statistics class is that that number is no longer relevant. The blue balls have now been separated from the red balls. ie, you have to remove those that have already been accepted from the statistic. My chances are now only based on the hold list. I think I'm somewhere in the 30% range now (assuming 1/3 accept, 2/3 hold post interview)

I wouldn't worry about it. [/B]
I know. Thanks.

What you have to remember from your statistics class is that that number is no longer relevant. The blue balls have now been separated from the red balls. ie, you have to remove those that have already been accepted from the statistic. My chances are now only based on the hold list. I think I'm somewhere in the 30% range now (assuming 1/3 accept, 2/3 hold post interview)

I know. Thanks.

Also taking into account all the people that will withdraw from the hold list/ waitlist.

Also taking into account all the people that will withdraw from the hold list/ waitlist.
Thanks again.

That's a variable though. What percentage of the people actually write the schools and say "please take me off of your waitlist." before being sent an official letter of acceptance, and what percent just want to actually see if they get rejected or accepted. Kind of like in cards... When you fold, you want to see the other player's hand. It's just human nature.

I tend to be lazy. As such, I assume most people are either 1- too lazy to take action before they have to (why bother, if the school rejects them, they don?t have to lift a finger to do anything?), or 2-curious to see what would happen.

I, therefore, assume the variable has negligible impact.

Thanks again.

That's a variable though. What percentage of the people actually write the schools and say "please take me off of your waitlist." before being sent an official letter of acceptance, and what percent just want to actually see if they get rejected or accepted. Kind of like in cards... When you fold, you want to see the other player's hand. It's just human nature.

I tend to be lazy. As such, I assume most people are either 1- too lazy to take action before they have to (why bother, if the school rejects them, they don?t have to lift a finger to do anything?), or 2-curious to see what would happen.

I, therefore, assume the variable has negligible impact.

Hmmm, yeah you are right I guess. People tend to be selfish, gutless, pretentious, or all of the above in this process.

Hmmm, yeah you are right I guess. People tend to be selfish, gutless, pretentious, or all of the above in this process.
What does bring me solace though is the fact that I?m on hold at both schools?
1-[(1-1/3)*(1-1/3)] = 55% chance of accept. :)