UCSD vs UCI vs IU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htorr

Reaction score
Hi, I have gotten into two of these schools and I am waiting to hear back from the third, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to be prepared. All three have similar characteristics that I am looking for in a program and it has been hard for me to make a decision. Right now I am looking to specialize in oncology / hematology so I want to be able to make a decision that would help me reach that goal. Any insight would incredibly helpful!

UC - San Diego
Pros

• Near my family / have only lived in the Southwest so I know the region for the most part
  • Great research opportunities
  • Free clinic opportunities
  • Value system and school focus
  • Only medical school in that region therefore it would be really valuable if I make good connections there
  • I could see myself living and wanting to stay in that area
Cons
  • OOS tuition / living expenses
  • Hard to get a good answer regarding the actual med school community and support system in place for the students

Indiana University
Pros

• The campus placement system means that I will have a small class size (trying to go to Bloomington campus if I can) which means closer relationships with mentors
  • Have talked to some students and they love it. Everyone had really good things to say about their experience their
  • Scholarly concentrations fit my interests really well
  • I feel like I could also make really good connections at this school and really excel here
  • Values / community / mission
  • Plenty of volunteer and leadership opportunities
  • The school has been very open with their communication which I really like
Cons
  • I have never been to the midwest or lived in a very small town.
  • My closet family lives in the Northwest US
  • OOS tuition .. but living in a smaller town means less expensive living costs
  • Being at a campus aside from Indianapolis (main campus) might make some parts of medical school difficult
  • Super large class size, but it is separated across the campuses

UC - Irvine
Pros

• Family in the area that I can live with
  • Community / values / mission
  • Lots of networking and research opportunities in my area of interest
  • Opportunities for work within the community
  • I really like the curriculum
  • Best interview experience by far
Cons
  • Tuition expenses
  • Living expenses if I do not live with family

I really like all these schools, so any advice or new perspectives into these programs would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Costs for San Diego and Irvine would be pretty similar. San Diego is a little stronger school and Irvine's medical center / hospital is ~12 miles / 20-25 minutes from the school.

Reactions: 1 user
At some point I have to suspect people are humble bragging their acceptances because this looks like an easy win for ucsd. No clear financial downsides, and nothing about the other schools is compelling. Being close to family and at a good school with a desirable location. Easy win.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
At some point I have to suspect people are humble bragging their acceptances because this looks like an easy win for ucsd. No clear financial downsides, and nothing about the other schools is compelling. Being close to family and at a good school with a desirable location. Easy win.

Hi, I definitely get where you’re coming from, but I am also super proud of my achievement because this has not been an easy process. This is why I am here because I am choosing between three really good schools that all have something good to offer and it is a difficult decision for me. I’m looking for other perspectives that maybe I am not looking at or focusing on so I do appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you may want to stay in California, I'd recommend UCSD and/or UCI. How far is your family away from UCI? If it's a long-ish commute, it may not be as feasible as living closer to UCI's campus. If that's the case, I know UCSD may be the slightly stronger school so it may be a better fit for you.

Hi, I definitely get where you’re coming from, but I am also super proud of my achievement because this has not been an easy process. This is why I am here because I am choosing between three really good schools that all have something good to offer and it is a difficult decision for me. I’m looking for other perspectives that maybe I am not looking at or focusing on so I do appreciate the input.
Oh I was just being snarky in saying that it seems like UCSD is clearly ahead based on your preferences.

Oh I was just being snarky in saying that it seems like UCSD is clearly ahead based on your preferences.
I personally see it being a hard choice between Irvine and SD. Which is perfect since these posts are exactly to have others chime in about what might not be obvious to OP!

I personally see it being a hard choice between Irvine and SD. Which is perfect since these posts are exactly to have others chime in about what might not be obvious to OP!

It might just be me, but all else equal you should go to UCSD over UCI. SD is a bigger name in medicine with more opportunities, and I didn't see any strong personal reasons to choose UCI over SD.

Reactions: 1 users
All I am going to say is that I copy you on this cons:
  • Hard to get a good answer regarding the actual med school community and support system in place for the students
Personally, If this particular cons was not in the picture, for me UCSD would be a no brainer. Regarding expenses, it looks like it is pretty similar for you regardless of where you go, so I would vote for UCSD (says a person who still needs to make that choice for themselves lol).