UCSD vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiley M

Reaction score
Any pros and cons on UCSD vs UCSF?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If costs the same, UCSF hands down.

Also, I'd advise that you take your profile photo down and make your account as anonymous as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently faced with the dilemma of deciding whether to attend UCSD or UCSF, so I made a list of pros/cons for each school. Any input would be appreciated!

UCSD:

Pros:
Top 15 School - Still, a great reputation and would help me get my foot in the door.
Location - San Diego is a beautiful city and has everything my boyfriend and I want. It's also closer to family.
Traffic - SD doesn't have a ton of traffic, so it's pretty easy to move around the city.
Huge Biotech Industry - UCSD said they would allow me to work part-time at a biotech company and count it as elective credit.
Only Med School in the Area - There is something to be said about not competing with other schools for limited opportunities. UCSD is very aware they are the only medical school in the city and capitalize on that to enhance students' experiences.
Student Life Balance - During my interview, the student panelists elaborated on the many ways UCSD implements life balance, which is unique. Many students said they have ample time for hobbies and even are given 6 personal days a year. Only certain classes have mandatory in-person attendance, so many people take a 3 or 4 day weekend and travel while watching lectures on the plane/car.

Cons:
Reputation - The reality is that the reputation of UCSF is very high, and there's something to be said for that. Is it worth going to SF for 4 years to set myself up for the rest of my career?

UCSF:

Pros:
Top 4 School - I want to pursue reconstructive surgery, which is pretty competitive, so graduating from a school with a stellar reputation is always a plus.
Research - Money for research doesn't seem to be a big concern here. There are a ton of labs on campus, so getting involved in research doesn't seem to be difficult.

Cons:
Location - The weather is not great in SF, often raining or foggy. There seems to be a lot of crime in the area too.
Rent - It is much more expensive to live in SF. My boyfriend and I both have cars that we want to bring, and we want a patio/balcony/backyard for our dog. Big ask for SF.
Traffic - Even 3 miles away from campus is a 15-20 minute drive.
Multiple Med Schools in the Area - There are some amazing medical schools in the SF area, which can be good and bad. Good, resources can be shared. Bad, resources/opportunities are shared and it can be harder to get involved in something very sought after.
Didn’t you just get an II and you already got accepted at UCSF?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t remove the pros and cons list you had. Without any info on your goals and priorities, it’s not gonna be helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know why, but I feel like it's rude to not mention that you didn't get into those schools yet on these X vs. Y threads.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.