ucsd vs. ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jky007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

here's just a few things to think about:

i just talked to one of my friends who goes to the ucsd med school. she told me not to go to ucsd pharm cause they overwork u. since u go to class with the med students she says essentially ur going to med school. im not discounting pharmacy students in anyway (i am one of them too, afterall), but she says its not worth the trouble. she also pointed out something about ucsd's pass/fail system. we would all think its not as competitive since there's no grades, but apparantly thats not the case. the school still ranks each student so the competition is as tough as anywhere else.

i was told by a couple of current ucsd pharmacy students that ucsd is not the place for you if all you plan to use your pharm d degree for is to go into commercial/retail pharmacy because they will go above and beyond what you need to know for commercial/retail.

i'm assuming that if you're in this dilemma, you went to the interview at ucsd... did the current pharmacy students there not give you enough information to help you decide? that's about the only thing i asked everybody i could get my hands on...

good luck with your decision! it's a nice position to be in - choosing between pharmacy schools to attend =)

Members don't see this ad :)
jky007 said:
any thoughts?

1) If you already get in both, I hate you.

2) I love SD. But just keep in mind that SD is still being accredited. But it shouldn't be an issue.

3) I do heard about the tough curriculum in UCSD, but it's not like UCSF's easy meat.

4)UCSF you've to do research, i think.

5)SD is a nice town to live.

It seems to me that the majority of people agree that UCSF has the better program (or at least more established) but the weather in La Jolla beats out San Francisco weather any day. I'm quite confused myself one which school to choose because there's pros and cons to both.

sf weather is hardly bad. its moderate at best. no snow, no intense heat, just a bit of rain. other than the geographical location, i dont see why you wouldnt pick ucsf over ucsd. unfortunately im not in the position to decide :p

hey everyone,

thanks for the input... after thinking a while about both, i think i've decided on ucsf. i like the program, established clubs and organizations, and the location is great since i'm from the bay area.. if sd were a bit more established, it would be really tough to decide.. i also didn't like the joint-medical classes idea.. seems unnecessary in my opinion.