UCSD vs Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohoo007

Reaction score
I was initially leaning towards UCSD because I didn't expect financial aid from Vandy but lo and behold. Now I don't know which to pick. Any guidance or insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Vanderbilt (4yr COA: 325k)
Pros
  • P/F clerkship
  • 1 year preclinical, and flexible curriculum
  • T15, really strong match
  • Cost of living cheaper
  • Robust research
  • Focus on student wellness

Cons
  • Location is not terrible but definitely not as nice as UCSD
  • Cost is 20k more

UCSD (4yr COA: 305k)
Pros
  • True P/F
  • In-state tuition, cheaper
  • Much closer to family (2 hr drive away)
  • T25, strong match
  • Good research
  • La Jolla is amazing (weather and location <3)

Cons
  • 2 year preclinical
  • Higher cost of living

Summary: Vanderbilt is a much better institution but is 20k more; and UCSD is slightly cheaper and in a much better location (geographically and support network wise).

Members don't see this ad.

Costs and match are pretty comparable. I'd say go where your heart feels

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you OK with 1 year preclinical, my son’s is 1.5 year and it was too hectic. Cost is probably same given COL difference between Sand Diego and Nashville. I would stick with UCSD. They are similar ranked schools. My son got both 2 years back but chose different school.

Agree with other comments that Vanderbilt is not a significantly better institution. Vanderbilt does have a more prestigious name, but UCSD is super underrated and a really good school. However, pass/fail clerkships are a gift from heaven. I cannot stress enough how much they reduce stress (no pun intended lol). Along with that, I think you should really focus on location, support system, and if you'd rather do a 1 year or 2 year curriculum. Cost will be about the same given SD's COL.

Reactions: 1 user
It's sooo variable based on person tbh - I'm a CA resident deciding between UCSD and Vandy and some others, and I'm actually leaning Vandy because of P/F clerkships, small class size, wellness culture, etc. But if support system is very important to you, go with UCSD!

I'm in a similar decision with UCSD vs a program with a 1 year preclinical. I have other personal reasons for considering the other program, but I no longer see the 1 year preclinical as that much of an advantage, nor the 2 year preclinical as that much of a con. I felt like the student happiness and involvement appeared really different between the two programs. UCSD students seemed a lot happier to me and were all engaged in research, service projects and their own shadowing to feel out interests ahead of rotations- many of them quoted the 2 year preclinical on giving them time to do this. The other program, students aren't allowed to get involved with extra curriculars for the 1st semester because it's so packed with full lecture days and while the students I talked to there liked the structure, they all mentioned research and other activities fell by the wayside their second year in rotations.

TLDR; I was also concerned about 2 year preclinical at UCSD, but after comparing to a 1 year preclinical school, it doesn't seem to be as big of a con as I originally thought. Students seem more well-rounded and engaged in part because of this.

Thank you everyone for the insight and help! I think I'll take some more time to ruminate on my priorities when it comes to location, support system, and the preclinical curriculum before deciding. Thank you again!