UCSF - anyone get a phone call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThyroidAblation

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Now that most of us have certified our ROL's and we have to sit and wait around for a month, I was just curious if anyone has gotten a phone call from UCSF? Rumor has it that Dr. Miller personally calls the top-ranked applicants on their list... I haven't gotten squat yet. :)

Thyroid Ablation

Members don't see this ad.

Sheeeit guess I aint on the list either. +pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email from him saying I was "guaranteed" to match. Whatever that means.

Originally posted by drlard
I received an email from him saying I was "guaranteed" to match. Whatever that means.

HEY!! I didn't get no e-mail. What a crock.

Thyroid Ablation

I didn't receive any email neither. But think on the bright side......assuming UCSF interviewing approximately 150 people, we should be approximately the top 150-200 applicants in the nation this year. Since there are usually 15 to 20 positions in most top programs, we should definitely get into a top 10 program :)

Good luck to everyone!

Originally posted by pany29
I didn't receive any email neither. But think on the bright side......assuming UCSF interviewing approximately 150 people, we should be approximately the top 150-200 applicants in the nation this year. Since there are usually 15 to 20 positions in most top programs, we should definitely get into a top 10 program :)

Good luck to everyone!

Haha, I love your attitude. :) I actually heard that they only interview about 70-80 ppl, and they typically go down to maybe half of that to fill their class...this is all hearsay, though. A friend of mine got an e-mail from them (after doing a 2nd look), while another one didn't. Ohhh well. I wish everyone the best. Please post here if you get that call, though... :)

Thyroid Ablation

Just thought I'd drop a line or two regarding the interview day at UCSF.

I went through the match last year and found that I really liked the majority of programs at which I interviewed. However, I freaking HATED my UCSF interview. The beginning of the morning slide presentation were just dripping with arrogance and it really turned me off for the rest of the day. I just couldn't let it slide off my back. One of my classmates also interviewed there and had received a heads-up about the tone of the presentation so he just laughed it off and managed to not let it destroy his perception of the place.

Anyway, as luck would have it, my better half absolutely fell in love with her respective residency program at UCSF, so I felt like I owed it to her to take a second look. My second trip was SOOOOOO much better than my interview day. I got to meet a bunch of new people, spend some time at SF General and didn't have smoke blown up my arse the whole time.

In the end, my second day at UCSF was really great and we ended up matching there. I guess I just thought I'd share my thoughts and make myself available to anyone who thought they had a crappy interview experience at UCSF and has some mixed feelings or questions about where it should go on the ole rank list.....

I wish I could offer you all some first-hand info on what it's like to be there and a daily basis, but you'll have to wait until next year!! :hardy:

Best of luck to everyone with the match. It'll be over before you know it. :thumbup:

totally agree. The arrogance in the presentation was a turn of but the residents I met seemed to love the place. Still probably going to rank Stanford first although it is a tough choice.