UCSF class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lips

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else going to UCSF in the fall? lets catch up!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm pretty sure i am...feel free to im. My info is on my profile. Are you going to second look weekend?

if the MSTP accepts me...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be at UCSF in the Fall as well.

when is second look weekend by the way? in fact, i sent my acceptance response in like a month ago and haven't heard anything from them since, kind of funny. anyway, is anybody living in SF cuz we should all get together and have a drink sometime or something...

I received a letter and tentative day-plan for the welcome week today.

See you all there.

Hi all,

I'll be at UCSF too, but I'm not able to make the May 1-2 visit. Just wanted to say hello and congrats to all. I look forward to meeting you all.

I'll be there in the fall as well. Wish I could make it to re-visit weekend in May but I hope someone updates us on how it goes. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

I'll be a part of the 2008 Class as well. Don't know about second look weekend yet, I'll have to scrape some money together. Congrads, i look forward to seeing you all in the fall!

Congrats to everyone! I will see you guys there on the revisit weekend May1-2.

:)

-Harps

Congrats all!

Got my packet today, and I am excited about meeting everyone in the Fall -- congrats again!

wow congrats everyone! i am sooo jealous!!! i guess i have to wait! is everyone here non trad. i heard a lot of non trads get in. just curious:D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey yayme-

to answer your question, I'm a non-trad. good luck!

Originally posted by yayme
! i guess i have to wait! is everyone here non trad. i heard a lot of non trads get in. just curious:D

Hmmm...are you sure about this? In any case, I am not a non-trad. Actually, I am about as trad. as they come(whatever that means) :laugh:

-Harps

I'm a non-trad too! I just got back from vacation and the packet--postmarked Mar. 15 -- was in my mailbox (interviewed Jan. 20, live in Arizona). Good luck, good news is around the corner :) !

CONGRATS HARPS ON STANFORD!! UR AWESOME MAN!:clap: :clap:

Congratulations everyone!! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I didn't go to second look weekend but many of my classmates say it was worthwhile. As you probably know from your acceptance packets there is a camping trip the weekend before school starts so you will get a chance to meet many of your classmates (and some of the second year students). You will most likely already be in the area so that will make it easier to attend than the second look weekend and I definitely recommend you go.

Also, every first year student is assigned a Big Sib second year student to help make the orientation process and first year a little easier. If you want a Big Sib who is an SNDer PM with your name and I can try to get the word out (we get to pick our Little Sibs - you).

hey harps are you thinking stanford? that must be a hard decision!!! i'm sure you'll figure it out though:laugh:

Dang man...I interviewed on the 20th of Jan. as well, and have heard nothing as of yet....i'm feeling a little scared.....

I interviewed IN OCTOBER and still haven't heard anything. D'oh.

Originally posted by docmemi
CONGRATS HARPS ON STANFORD!! UR AWESOME MAN!:clap: :clap:

Thanks! :) I am gonna go to the revisit weekends and then decide. I am also going to wait for the financial aid package...that will play a HUGE part in my decision!

BTW, what does docmemi mean? :)

-Harps

askew01,
i was reading last years ucsf posts and a lot of people heard after 3 months and got an acceptance! hopefully we'll both hear some good news next month!

Originally posted by askew01
Dang man...I interviewed on the 20th of Jan. as well, and have heard nothing as of yet....i'm feeling a little scared.....

Congrats to you all!

So whose going the the 2nd Look Weekend? I'm definitely going! jtn.

Hi everyone- just found this thread. I'll be at UCSF in the fall as well, and can't wait. Anyone else going from out of state?

how come nobody is using the forums on the accepted site?

Congrats to all accepted and looking foward to meeting many of you this year at second look weekend and next year when you arrive.

I just want to put a shameless plug out for something that I'm involved with at UCSF and will hopefully be something that you're excited about, as well. Like many other medical schools, UCSF medical students run a number of free, volunteer medical clinics in SF. We currently have three evening clinics-- 5th Street Homless Shelter Clinic, Women's Clinic (also located at the 5th Street shelter), and Tenderloin AIDS Resource Center. In addition to these clinics, students run smoking cessation programs and men and women's support groups for the residents of the shelter.

These clinics are an amazing opportunity to begin practicing your history taking and phyiscal exam skills. As an example, in my third week of medical school I took a full history on a patient, had a 2nd year medical student guide me through a focused physical exam, and presented the patient to an attending with an assesment and plan. I urge everyone to take the Homless Health Elective that will be offered in the fall when you arrive. This will prepare you for your experiences in clinic and is a prereq. for first years to volunteer at clinic in the first half of the year. (This is done largely for safety issues but is also a real eye-opener to a significant population of patients that we see in SF).

So I just wanted to share with everyone this great opportunity that is available at UCSF. If you have any questions about Homeless Clinic feel free to to email me at [email protected]. (I will try to respond quickly but I am awful with email). Our webpage is also accessible through the UCSF medportal webpage but unfortunately it is under development right now and probably won't have a new look till next year.

Thanks and congrats again!

I just get pulled off from the alternate. UCSF has always been my dream school.... I can't waite. See you guys in Sept...

yay legend! congrats!!!

as for me, i still can't decide :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( I'm "officially" going to UCSF with Yale waiting for an answer .. I thought I was gonna say no to Yale immediately but I didn't b/c I got a scholarship ..

I'm hanging out at Yale today and tomorrow and by Tuesday I should have an answer or Yale is going to make it for me ...... I have no idea which school I like better ..

if any of you UCSF guys read this .. well .. pls .. any help/comments/opinions/advice/tidbits that most ppl don't know about/anecdotes/ANYTHING! would be appreciated ... thanks guys :thumbup:

Mentoz

SF vs. New Haven

Moffit, SFVA, SFGH, CPMC, Mount Zion vs. Yale-New Haven Hospital

Those are two things I would think about a lot. Preclinical stuff really isn't all that important when comparing the two of these schools. I rarely hear about Yale's clinical years. I do know that they pride themselves on their independent style learning in the first two years. Sounds pretty cool, but a little too unstructured for me. I think Yale and UCSF except a lot of the same students b/c I know a bunch of people who were deciding between UCSF and Yale in my class. They are still very happy to be here.

Bottom line: both places are great, i'm sure.

Ask third/fourth years at Yale about their rotations, how many procedures they have been able to do, board scores, fourth year opportunities, faculty support during 3rd/4th year, etc. Try to find people at Yale who were also choosing between UCSF and Yale.

Seems most schools like to market the 1st two years of the medical school, but I think the 3rd/4th are more important.

souljah1 said:
Mentoz

SF vs. New Haven

Moffit, SFVA, SFGH, CPMC, Mount Zion vs. Yale-New Haven Hospital

Those are two things I would think about a lot. Preclinical stuff really isn't all that important when comparing the two of these schools. I rarely hear about Yale's clinical years. I do know that they pride themselves on their independent style learning in the first two years. Sounds pretty cool, but a little too unstructured for me. I think Yale and UCSF except a lot of the same students b/c I know a bunch of people who were deciding between UCSF and Yale in my class. They are still very happy to be here.

Bottom line: both places are great, i'm sure.

Ask third/fourth years at Yale about their rotations, how many procedures they have been able to do, board scores, fourth year opportunities, faculty support during 3rd/4th year, etc. Try to find people at Yale who were also choosing between UCSF and Yale.

Seems most schools like to market the 1st two years of the medical school, but I think the 3rd/4th are more important.

thanks as always ..
yah both places are great, and i'd get a wonderful education at either place ... i'm trying to get a vibe of where i'd be most happy at .. i always felt like an SF girl, but the ambience of the entire campus of Yale and the feel of New Haven is also surprisingly nice (but different yanno) ... I'm corresponding with a Yalie who's going to do his ortho residency at UCSF, and I've also spoken with a few students who had the same decision to make and chose Yale (mainly for curriculum and definitely NOT for New Haven!) .. with all the free time at Yale, it seems feasible to take treks to NYC which is also a fav city ... and though it seems unstructured, it's only up to the person to be as unstructured as he/she wants (which I'm afraid of cuz I am a slacker :p) .. those I know who took the boards rocked it, but overall may not have been too happy to be in NH (the only redeeming quality being near NYC) .. I'll be calling two UCSF students this afternoon but they're first yrs so I don't know how much more they call tell me ... would you mind if I called you and asked you a few questions about all the things you mentioned .. it wouldn't take very long ... hmmmmmmmmmmm .. OH, were you deciding b/t east and west at any pt? the kids i meet here are mostly from the east or east-coast educated if from CA .. and the kids at UCSF are obviously mostly from CA .. so there's a striking contrast b/t the overall feel/attitude of the student body .. being from TX, i have no idea what place fits me best .. we're a friendly bunch down here and i think it's the same in SF, yah?

well, gonna walk around campus more .. it's a bad time to visit since the city is bustling with parents, friends, and fams of the graduates ... NH is probably more boring than what I see today :oops:

I'll be there in the fall too . . . can't wait . . .I luv San Fran.

What is the most popular used medical book store near UCSF?
Where is it located?

Thanks!

CY.

don't know the name, but it is on judah near the corner of 9th. pm me if you need certain textbooks as i might want to sell some of the books that i bought for the essential core.