UCSF Class of 2010 Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dongiovanni81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, hello SDNers!

I've been reading this forum for awhile and it seems like there are a lot of people interested in knowing about UCSF and their admission process; so I'm here to offer some of my humble opinions/thoughts.

To tell you a lil bit about myself: I'm going to UCSF this Fall (woohoo!) and I had my interview on January 11th. I got a call from Dr. Alexander (the school's dean) on January 27th-ish to notify me that I've been accepted. Yesterday, Feb 17th, I received all three letters.

First, I think the kiggar dude got it pretty accurate in terms of when the admission committee meets every month to deliver their decisions. During the interview, Ana told me that they will have their ad com meeting on Jan 18 or 19th. She wasn't lying: about a week later after Jan 18th, I got a call from UCSF notifying me that the ad com has decided to offer me a spot in the Class of 2010. =)

I called Ms. Carmen this past week b/c I haven't gotten the 3rd letter from UCSF until yesterday (about a month after I've been accepted!!!). It kinda got me worried b/c the 3rd letter contains all the paperwork pertaining to acceptance procedure (i.e. things, including $, I need to send back to UCSF to officially secure my spot for the Class of 2010). I thought perhaps they gave out more acceptances out than spots available. Ms. Carmen assured me that that's not the case.

So, I believe that there are still few remaining spots open for the Class of 2010 (don't lose hope yet!). They haven't had another ad com meeting since Jan 18th. This is probably the reason why people who had their interviews after Jan 18th have not yet heard back from UCSF. They'll have another ad com meeting soon which confirms Kiggar's assertion that ad com meets in the middle of every month. But I think Kiggar's wrong about the class being full NOW.

What does all of this info tell me about the status of Class of 2010 at UCSF? First, I think the class is not full yet. But I'm pretty sure that it WILL be after the Feb. 19-22nd ad com meeting. Here are my reasons:

UCSF offers 2 interviews per week. In each interview there are about 15 interviewees. So, if you do the math, 2x15 = about 30 candidates are interviewed per week . It's been about a month (4 weeks) since the last ad com meeting so that means that UCSF has had about 120 interviewees. Let's be conservative and say 100..which is still a huge figure.

Now using someone's conservative figure of the Class being 60% full since the January ad com meeting...in a class of about 75 x 0.6 = 45...we know that about 45 spots are taken, leaving only 30 spots available.

So, it seems to me that it's more likely than not that UCSF will be able to fill the remaining 30 spots with the 100-120 eligible candidates interviewed. If you think about it, after the Dec ad com meeting, the class was already 50% full. They started doing their interviews in October of last year.

(To be honest, I think the Class is close to about 80% full b/c like Kiggar said, when I had my interview on 1/11, Ana said that the class was about 50% full. UCSF hasn't heard back from any of the candidates who've got accepted after the January 18th ad com meeting. So to give out that 60% figure means to me that the Class was 60% at that very moment when the question was asked-- before hearing back from January candidates who've got accepted.)

I've heard that UCSF is going to have interviews til March 2nd. And I guess for those people who have interviews after the Feb ad com mtg on 2/19-22 til 3/2, I think it's going to pretty tough b/c more likely than not you'll not be considered for admission until the March ad com meeting which will happen in the middle of March.

Best of luck to y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Dongiovanni...I had my interview on the 11th as well. Who were you, and what school were you from? I remember everyone from that day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Great post... thanks for all the information

Lilstar0024 said:
Great post... thanks for all the information

No information just speculation.

Ive posted this before. Last year it took approx 135 acceptances to fill the 80 or so spots.

People were accepted up until the week before classes. Spots always open up. People put down deposits at UCSF and UCLA and wait until the last minute to decide.

NO class is full until the first day of classes.

Well SDNers,

In hopes of encouraging some of you who are still waiting to hear back from UCSF, here's a little secret I've learned while attending some of the UCSF functions in college:

Most of us know that UCSF admission is done through a point system (15pt). However, what you may not know is that the comparison between the points is not done amongst all interviewed candidates in one huge lump some.

What do I mean by this?

I forget the exact breakdowns but candidates w/ certain stats are compared only with each other. So for example: interviewees with a GPA of 3.6-4.0 are compared only amongst themselves; interviewees with a GPA of 3.0-3.5 only amongst themselves; etc.

There's no cross-breakdown comparisons (until the waiting list period) so I've heard. This type of system ensures that a candidate with a 3.9GPA will not be "unfairly" compared with a student who say has a GPA of 3.0.

That's WHY the interviews are important, in particular, at UCSF.

(This can be considered as a good news to those with slightly "bad" stats. But still remember that UCSF accepts more candidates from higher stats bracket than the lower ones for obvious reasons. This could be a bad news for candidates with too good of GPA/DAT stats b/c your spots could've been taken by students with less stellar marks. )

BigBottomGirl said:

Ive posted this before. Last year it took approx 135 acceptances to fill the 80 or so spots.

People were accepted up until the week before classes. Spots always open up. People put down deposits at UCSF and UCLA and wait until the last minute to decide.

Yay! :clap: :clap: :clap:

BigBottomGirl said:

If you don't mind me asking, what year are you?

BigBottomGirl said:
People put down deposits at UCSF and UCLA and wait until the last minute to decide.

good guesstimation, dongiovanni. but going back to BigBottomGirl's above comment: whoever deposits into two or more schools and wait until the last minute to decide which school to go to is a real low-life man. A classless act. There are so many other students waiting to hear back from just one school in hopes of becoming a dentist but to take up two or more spots and make others lose their chances of getting into one is just wrong.

If someone has that much of a problem deciding then maybe that person shouldn't become a dentist at all.

I hope that fool didn't end up at UCSF...

kiggar4l2000 said:
good guesstimation, dongiovanni. but going back to BigBottomGirl's above comment: whoever deposits into two or more schools and wait until the last minute to decide which school to go to is a real low-life man. A classless act. There are so many other students waiting to hear back from just one school in hopes of becoming a dentist but to take up two or more spots and make others lose their chances of getting into one is just wrong.

If someone has that much of a problem deciding then maybe that person shouldn't become a dentist at all.

I hope that fool didn't end up at UCSF...

Dude you are nuts. Putting down money at two schools is one of the best things you can do especially if you are waiting to see what the financial aid packet looks like. Dont sweat this. It will not influence you and your acceptance. UCSF and UCLA share lists of accepted students and will often send letters to those who have put down two deposits. It always gets cleared up and those deserving an acceptance ultimately receive one.

Until then remember when you point a finger at someone there are always three pointing right back at you. ;)

BigBottomGirl said:
Dude you are nuts. Putting down money at two schools is one of the best things you can do especially if you are waiting to see what the financial aid packet looks like. Dont sweat this. It will not influence you and your acceptance. UCSF and UCLA share lists of accepted students and will often send letters to those who have put down two deposits. It always gets cleared up and those deserving an acceptance ultimately receive one.

Until then remember when you point a finger at someone there are always three pointing right back at you. ;)

wait, clear something up for me. don't u need to get acceptances from..in this case...UCLA and UCSF to even be able to put down deposits for those schools? plus, you could ask for the estimated financial aid offers and get them in a matter of a week or two if u ask the financial aid coordinators for each respective school.

so i still don't understand why doing this is the "best" thing to do b/c all you're doing is abusing the admissions system and taking up a spot for someone else until the very last minute.

again, i didn't direct my comments toward you but someone you mentioned in your comment. However, if this applies to you and it's something you are doing then stop it cuz it's not cool man.

if u don't mind asking, where you going next year?
___

UCSF Class of 2010

kiggar4l2000 said:
wait, clear something up for me. don't u need to get acceptances from..in this case...UCLA and UCSF to even be able to put down deposits for those schools? plus, you could ask for the estimated financial aid offers and get them in a matter of a week or two if u ask the financial aid coordinators for each respective school.

so i still don't understand why doing this is the "best" thing to do b/c all you're doing is abusing the admissions system and taking up a spot for someone else until the very last minute.

again, i didn't direct my comments toward you but someone you mentioned in your comment. However, if this applies to you and it's something you are doing then stop it cuz it's not cool man.

if u don't mind asking, where you going next year?
___

UCSF Class of 2010

Shes already at UCSF.

BigBottomGirl said:

When I was at the UCSF interview Dr. A kept on mentioning that they have ways of knowing who's putting down deposits at more than one school...from his talk I got the feeling that they don't like people doing that...is that true? If not then what's the purpose of him making this statement? :confused:

jshen118 said:
When I was at the UCSF interview Dr. A kept on mentioning that they have ways of knowing who's putting down deposits at more than one school...from his talk I got the feeling that they don't like people doing that...is that true? If not then what's the purpose of him making this statement? :confused:

I hope Dr. A doesn't mind too much. I interviewed at UCSF so late that I HAD to put down a deposit at another school just to make sure I go SOMEWHERE in the fall, but of course, UCSF remains my #1 choice.

dongiovanni81 said:
Well, hello SDNers!

I've been reading this forum for awhile and it seems like there are a lot of people interested in knowing about UCSF and their admission process; so I'm here to offer some of my humble opinions/thoughts.

To tell you a lil bit about myself: I'm going to UCSF this Fall (woohoo!) and I had my interview on January 11th. I got a call from Dr. Alexander (the school's dean) on January 27th-ish to notify me that I've been accepted. Yesterday, Feb 17th, I received all three letters.

First, I think the kiggar dude got it pretty accurate in terms of when the admission committee meets every month to deliver their decisions. During the interview, Ana told me that they will have their ad com meeting on Jan 18 or 19th. She wasn't lying: about a week later after Jan 18th, I got a call from UCSF notifying me that the ad com has decided to offer me a spot in the Class of 2010. =)

I called Ms. Carmen this past week b/c I haven't gotten the 3rd letter from UCSF until yesterday (about a month after I've been accepted!!!). It kinda got me worried b/c the 3rd letter contains all the paperwork pertaining to acceptance procedure (i.e. things, including $, I need to send back to UCSF to officially secure my spot for the Class of 2010). I thought perhaps they gave out more acceptances out than spots available. Ms. Carmen assured me that that's not the case.

So, I believe that there are still few remaining spots open for the Class of 2010 (don't lose hope yet!). They haven't had another ad com meeting since Jan 18th. This is probably the reason why people who had their interviews after Jan 18th have not yet heard back from UCSF. They'll have another ad com meeting soon which confirms Kiggar's assertion that ad com meets in the middle of every month. But I think Kiggar's wrong about the class being full NOW.

What does all of this info tell me about the status of Class of 2010 at UCSF? First, I think the class is not full yet. But I'm pretty sure that it WILL be after the Feb. 19-22nd ad com meeting. Here are my reasons:

UCSF offers 2 interviews per week. In each interview there are about 15 interviewees. So, if you do the math, 2x15 = about 30 candidates are interviewed per week . It's been about a month (4 weeks) since the last ad com meeting so that means that UCSF has had about 120 interviewees. Let's be conservative and say 100..which is still a huge figure.

Now using someone's conservative figure of the Class being 60% full since the January ad com meeting...in a class of about 75 x 0.6 = 45...we know that about 45 spots are taken, leaving only 30 spots available.

So, it seems to me that it's more likely than not that UCSF will be able to fill the remaining 30 spots with the 100-120 eligible candidates interviewed. If you think about it, after the Dec ad com meeting, the class was already 50% full. They started doing their interviews in October of last year.

(To be honest, I think the Class is close to about 80% full b/c like Kiggar said, when I had my interview on 1/11, Ana said that the class was about 50% full. UCSF hasn't heard back from any of the candidates who've got accepted after the January 18th ad com meeting. So to give out that 60% figure means to me that the Class was 60% at that very moment when the question was asked-- before hearing back from January candidates who've got accepted.)

I've heard that UCSF is going to have interviews til March 2nd. And I guess for those people who have interviews after the Feb ad com mtg on 2/19-22 til 3/2, I think it's going to pretty tough b/c more likely than not you'll not be considered for admission until the March ad com meeting which will happen in the middle of March.

Best of luck to y'all.

hey whats up man. i'm goin to ucsf next year. see you there..btw my name is nick. congrats on teh acceptance. and to those who are waiting..the best of luck to all of you