ucsf-east bay??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crimson&Clover

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

does anyone know about the ucsf-east bay program? is it any good? or is it only affiliated with ucsf in name?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's affiliated w/ UCSF by name. It's used to be call UC Davis/East Bay. It's a community program in Oakland, CA (across the bay from SF). Their two main hospitals are Kaiser and a county hospotal in Oakland. I am not sure if the residents do rotate through UCSF or not (at least not according to their brochure). I know a transplant fellow at Lahey Clinic in Boston who was a resident there. He did not have anything negative to say about the program. People from there do get fellowships but the path is more difficult.

thanks for the info bv! by the way, do you know anything about the lahey clinic? is it well-reputed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lahey clinic is affiliated w/ Tufts. I did my 3rd year Surgery and my Transplant sub-I there. It's a very strong community/academic program. The resudents are the nicest and kindest people. Attendings-residents-students relationship is collegial. As a medical student, i was able to approach any attending for any question. They were always willing to teach. The OR enviroment is very benign.

Very early operative experience. Interns do many cases from breasts to hernias to lap ccy. There are 20 ORs at Lahey and theye are always busy.

Lahey is also well known for Colerectal and Transplant surgery. The President of the American Assoication of Colorectal surgery is at Lahey. The chief of Transplant, Dr. Jenkins, is the first to perform Liver Transplant in the New England area, and considered as one of the top transplant surgeon in the world. He is also a great doctor and gentleman.

The ancillary service is great. You never have to hunt down radiographic studies. They have the PACS system and there are PACS computers every where in the hospital. Dictation for studies/consults and transciption are done in a very timely manner.

There is a night float system. No weekday call for junior. 2 full weekends off a month.

I highly recommend this program!!!!!