UCSF externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justdontknow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the UCSF externship? The review on scutwork.com was pretty bad; just wondering if anyone had a good experience there?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else noticed how there is nothing good to say about UCSF from current residents? Now what do you all suppose that means?

I did some rotations there, and definitely have mixed emotions about the place. Most prominent, however, is my heartbreak and confusion after getting honors in ob anesthesia from the program director but no interview. I worked with quite a few residents, and I wouldn't say there was a common theme of discontent among all of them. PM me if you have more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey N2b8, thanks for replying. How did you feel about the program before not getting an invitation? Were you really excited and wanting to go there because of what you learned on your rotation or b/c you really liked San Fran. Also, I keep hearing that at the program they work realy hard which translates to getting a lot of scut work/ non learning oriented cases or not being treated w/ respect/ attending being condescending. It also seemed to me that there was more discontent than most other programs I visited. Would you say any of this is true?

hi..ill be doing the anesth. clerkship at ucsf. anyone else heading out during that time or have advice on what I should expect? Do I need a car there? Thanks!

i did the rotation where you spend 2 weeks at moffitt-long and 2 weeks at SFGH. I lived a couple blocks away from moffit-long and caught the intercampus shuttle to get to SFGH--there is a stop near the entrance to moffit-long.

i had a pretty positive experience at ucsf--residents and attendings are hit or miss as they are anywhere, but practically all are willing to teach if you engage them. The week of nights at SFGH was great for seeing a little of everything--trauma, OB, gen surg, but also good for being around the same group of night residents for 5 days straight, something hard to achieve during days. Dr. Krombach (at SFGH) and Dr. Rollins (at UCSF) are particularly good attendings to hang out with, they taught quite a bit. :)

Where's all the "UCSF residents aren't happy" coming from? Not a single resident I know seems dissatisfied at UCSF.

If you're doing a rotation there in July/Aug, enjoy; take in the city (and the fog that time of year); take in the residents and see for yourself if people are "happy, disgruntled, overworked, etc."

Enjoy.

thanks for the info! if you don't mind me asking where did you live and how much was it? i looked at month long housing and stuff- wow- pretty steep...I PM'd you as well...thanks for the advice!

tkim15 said:
i did the rotation where you spend 2 weeks at moffitt-long and 2 weeks at SFGH. I lived a couple blocks away from moffit-long and caught the intercampus shuttle to get to SFGH--there is a stop near the entrance to moffit-long.

i had a pretty positive experience at ucsf--residents and attendings are hit or miss as they are anywhere, but practically all are willing to teach if you engage them. The week of nights at SFGH was great for seeing a little of everything--trauma, OB, gen surg, but also good for being around the same group of night residents for 5 days straight, something hard to achieve during days. Dr. Krombach (at SFGH) and Dr. Rollins (at UCSF) are particularly good attendings to hang out with, they taught quite a bit. :)