1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

UCSF Grading System question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by postbacchus, Jan 27, 2002.

1. postbacchus

postbacchus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Probably a question for BeckyG and/or Vader:

Is UCSF strictly P/NP the first 2 years? Or is their honors/high honors, etc? Also, is there a ranking system which will be included in the Dean's letter? I tried finding the info on other posts but couldn't...

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. figure five

figure five Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey postbacc

i think it's pass/fail for the first two years...after that I'm not sure.

4. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, it is pass/fail for the first two years - no honors and no rankings. Passing is 70% for most exams (is lower if the class doesn't do well) and if you do not pass an exam, you simply re-take it (make-up exam). So, there's really no pressure and certainly no competition with your classmates. The goal is to pass. The first two years in your Dean's Letter basically are summed up as you passed (one sentence or two, I think). In third and fourth year, it is honors/pass/fail; however, I don't think it's too competitive with the addition of honors to the 3rd and 4th year rotations. Anyway, hope that helps. Congrats again! ;)

5. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, Becky got it before me. :D She summed it up great... just wanted to add that you can never overestimate just how much that P/F system takes the pressure off. :cool: