UCSF Grading System question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacchus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably a question for BeckyG and/or Vader:

Is UCSF strictly P/NP the first 2 years? Or is their honors/high honors, etc? Also, is there a ranking system which will be included in the Dean's letter? I tried finding the info on other posts but couldn't...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey postbacc

i think it's pass/fail for the first two years...after that I'm not sure.

Yeah, it is pass/fail for the first two years - no honors and no rankings. Passing is 70% for most exams (is lower if the class doesn't do well) and if you do not pass an exam, you simply re-take it (make-up exam). So, there's really no pressure and certainly no competition with your classmates. The goal is to pass. The first two years in your Dean's Letter basically are summed up as you passed (one sentence or two, I think). In third and fourth year, it is honors/pass/fail; however, I don't think it's too competitive with the addition of honors to the 3rd and 4th year rotations. Anyway, hope that helps. Congrats again! ;)

Well, Becky got it before me. :D She summed it up great... just wanted to add that you can never overestimate just how much that P/F system takes the pressure off. :cool: